Thread: Help Me Upgrade (from an older version of Essentials)

Default Help Me Upgrade (from an older version of Essentials)

OK, I need to upgrade my PC in the very near future as such I need to upgrade Netobjects to keep my website going. For 7 years I've used the Freeware version Netobjects Fusion - Essentials, and have been reluctantly satisfied with that. However, that version is no longer being published by Netobjects so when I upgrade I need to get a paid (earlier) version. I bought a version of 12 on sale, but it didn't work with my current Windows 7 PC, so I bought a used copy of 11. This STILL doesn't work as my PC is apparently too slow to run it.

However, a few problems that make me very nervous, because I figure my next PC will be fast enough too.

It says my site style is too old and needs to be deleted and replaced. Well I haven't used the templates since 2009. I deleted all the banners and buttons and replaced them with ones that were created by a friend, so do I need to do anything with that or can I ignore that warning?

Also, all my banners, buttons and images appear to be deleted in this version. I have them all in the Essentials asset file. Is there a quick way I can associate that file to the copy of the website in this version so I don't have to go back and find every image for 1400+ pages and associate them all over again?

Also, and this could just be because it's slow, but while N11 acknowledges all the pages, all I can see is the homepage, and nothing else. if I try to move the navigation bar right or left is slows to a crawl and I can't see anything else.

I know the old version of essentials was based on Netobjects 7, is there anywhere I can just buy a copy of that and put it on a Windows 10 PC and continue what I was doing?

Also, I have in the past tried to export a template (the current file is opened from a .nod copy) and it throws an error about not being able to find certain files. However, the file paths will not let me see the complete destinations, or copy them to a notepad file to see them or anything like that so I can recreate them.

OK, so scratch that the template exported this time from N - Essentials 7.5, it's a zip. I'm trying to import it into 11 now. Do I do that as a zip? It seems to imply so.

You create a new site from the template.

In Online View: File > New Site > From Template
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I think I have it. It asked for a nod too so I copied the one from essentials, but again I still just basically see the homepage, it seems to either be too big or something. Maybe when I upgrade from this PC to something faster it will be less problematic (I hope, this sucks).

When you're creating a new site from a template, you name a new .nod file when it asks, you don't copy the old one. NoF will create the .nod file from the template.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    When you're creating a new site from a template, you name a new .nod file when it asks, you don't copy the old one. NoF will create the .nod file from the template.
    Strange, what happened was.

I clicked create site from template. It had me guide it to the template .zip file file.

Then something popped up asking for user sites. Since the nod file was in essentials I grabbed a backup node, copied it and put it in the folder it asked for. That worked, and it implies all the pages are there, but it just shows the home page any time I navigate left/right the program freezes up on my computer. Like I was saying at the beginning, it seems any version of NOF besides Essentials 7.5 freezes up on my computer and my website is about 1400 pages, so I feel like I just need to upgrade my PC at this point.