Thread: Host upgrade to PHP 7 crashed website

Default Host upgrade to PHP 7 crashed website

I have a large website (started years ago with NOF version 7) that I run for an charity organization. It has a large number of secure pages, hence a lot of PHP pages. I am currently using NOF 13 (1and1 edition).

I received a notice from the host (1and1) that I should upgrade my service from PHP version 5.6 to the latest PHP version 7, so I went to the 1and1 control panel and upgraded. After I did this, all the website PHP pages showed up as blank pages in the browser. I reverted back to the previous host setup with PHP version 5.6, and everything worked ok again.

1and1 will only support PHP5.6 for 1 more year, so I need to do something to preserve this 200-plus page website functionality.

My question: is there a way to upgrade my NOF 13 (1and1 edition) to conform to the latest PHP version 7 recommended by 1and1?

In a word... No.

PHP support in Fusion dates back to PHP 4.x.

In any case, Fusion 2013 is no longer receiving updates. And don't expect an update to the current version of Fusion (2015) to add PHP 7 support.

Hopefully, NetObjects will update the PHP generating components in the next version of Fusion to support more recent version of PHP.

I haven't looked into the reasons for the code generated by Fusion to fail with PHP 7, but it's possible it could be the method used to connect to databases, including the flat CVS files Fusion uses.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    In a word... No.

PHP support in Fusion dates back to PHP 4.x.

In any case, Fusion 2013 is no longer receiving updates. And don't expect an update to the current version of Fusion (2015) to add PHP 7 support.

Hopefully, NetObjects will update the PHP generating components in the next version of Fusion to support more recent version of PHP.

I haven't looked into the reasons for the code generated by Fusion to fail with PHP 7, but it's possible it could be the method used to connect to databases, including the flat CVS files Fusion uses.

Thanks for the reply.

Ugh! It looks like I will have to start rebuilding the main part of the website with another program - possibly even Wordpress. It's probably about time to modernize with a responsive website anyway. Too bad NOF didn't step up to the modern world sooner with a responsive web design program.

Fixing the PHP code generated by Fusion is relatively trivial.

I just took a look and yes, it's the database connection functions that need updating.

Easy fix for NetObjects, once they get to it.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Ask 1&1 to move you to a cloud linux box and set your version of PHP back to where you need it to be.

1&1 is a cloud linux partner.

https://www.cloudlinux.com/all-produ...w/cloudlinuxos
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

If you're thinking of switching hosts, I totally recommend Superb.net. I've been with them for almost 15 years and their customer support is second to none. They are also conservative in updating technology and only do so once it has been proven necessary, not for the sake of having the latest and greatest. They also have a variety of hosting options. Being located in Australia I have sometimes needed telephone support for a site that while located in the US gets its main traffic in Australian working hours. I have never failed to get to talk to a technician when I needed to and the issue has usually been resolved promptly.

Tsohost are worth considering. They're UK-based, and their support is world-class. I've used them for many years and can highly recommend them.

I have used Big wet fish for a number of years never had a problem very good support https://manage.bigwetfish.hosting/aff.php?aff=11

That is probably because your website was using some functions that are deprecated in PHP 7. Revert it back and it should work fine. If your provider doesn't support 5.6 anymore, then switch your provider, that would be much easier than upgrading your entire site to PHP 7. If you are looking for a PHP hosting that support 5.6, then look up Cloudways (https://www.cloudways.com/en/php-cloud-hosting.php ).

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

I can't believe it - PHP 7 is standard and you probably should consider to not switch the provider but the software.This is also a question of safety !

Fusion promised already 2 years ago to work on the old scripts but they never did.

I have warned them at this time and Steve said - this will be done while we are writing - it's a minor problem
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook