Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blog Suggestions

Default Blog Suggestions

I need to create a blog as an assignment for a photography program I'm taking. Of course I know there is Wordpress, and the lazy way is to sign up for something like Blogger.

But I'm wondering if there are any scripts or other tools out there that might be worth checking into and are recommended. I'm thinking something that could be incorporated into an NOF site as a "blog page". Cheap or free would be nice.

What about something like Koken? I took a quick look and there is an "Essay" section which I suppose could function as a "blog". Since it is to be ostensibly about photography, is it worth digging into?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I'm sure there are php/mysql scripts out there that will do the job. But wordpress is easy to install and configure on your own server and is relatively easy to theme to look like the regular web pages and externally linked from the NoF site nav. Assuming your server has PHP/MySQL, that is.

Well, I did something crazy

I logged into the cPanel of my host and looked at the offerings they provided through "Softaculous". (Didn't that used to be "Scriptacular" or something...)

The top 3 ranked Blog scripts they provided were Serendipity, Dotclear and b2evolution. I decided to take b2evolution for a spin, partly because it was the only one where the demo allowed me to actually upload an image, create a post and see the result. Also, it has some photo-centric features that might come in handy for this application.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a link to my finished project in a couple of weeks.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

If you look in your hosting control panel.

You should find several choices you can install.

My CloudLinux hosting control panel shows a choice of 15 different blog programs that can be installed as a folder or a sub-directory (i.e. blog.YourDomain.Ext). All of them are PHP/MySQL and have a full admin section.

Oh boy... more stuff to learn
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    If you look in your hosting control panel.

You should find several choices you can install.

Oh boy... more stuff to learn
    Yes, this is where I found the ones I mentioned. Giving b2evolution a spin, but it seems to want some extreme PHP settings that my hosting plan doesn't support. I've got it set to the max they allow and will see how it goes.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Yes, this is where I found the ones I mentioned. Giving b2evolution a spin, but it seems to want some extreme PHP settings that my hosting plan doesn't support. I've got it set to the max they allow and will see how it goes.
    Are you using a user.ini file to modify the settings?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

No. I don't have access to the settings -- at least on the budget plan that I am on. Any changes must be requested from the hosting company, which I have done. They have now set it the the maximum (for my plan level) but b2E still flags PHP memory_limit in particular as being too low. B2E wants 256Mb, and the max I get is 128 Mb. I'll see how it goes.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    No. I don't have access to the settings -- at least on the budget plan that I am on. Any changes must be requested from the hosting company, which I have done. They have now set it the the maximum (for my plan level) but b2E still flags PHP memory_limit in particular as being too low. B2E wants 256Mb, and the max I get is 128 Mb. I'll see how it goes.
    Everyone has access to user.ini as it is a local file you create.

create a php info dump file, run it and see where your memory_limit is set.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.phpinfo.php

Create a user.ini file in your public_html folder,

http://php.net/manual/en/configurati...e.per-user.php

reset the memory_limit function then run php info again to see if it changes.

user.ini should have this line in it

memory_limit = 256M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

Set the mem limit to what the script actually requires. Don't stick in an arbitrary number thinking "more is better" as you can slow performance by setting the mem limit too high.

If user.ini does not change the limit rename the file to user5.ini, if it still fails you may need to modify a few other things using .htaccess which requires pointing to the php install on your server (you'll need the server root php install location to do this). Post back if these do not work and I will dig up some links that should help you get to the bottom of what you can and cannot do with your host.

If you are with a large host, don't believe or trust what the tier 1 support says as their main goal is to get you off of support not take the time to fix an issue that can be resolved by you paying more for your hosting.

Your host should not provide you with scripts that you are prohibited from using.

If they have you locked down to the point that you cannot serve content (create a blog etc) then you need to move up in their "plan schedule" or consider a host that is a little more user friendly. I'd talk to a "supervisor or tier 3 support person" before deciding. Once you have gone all the way in the support they offer then it is time to decide where you want to be hosted or pay more money for the same thing.

Well, I tried user.ini and user5.ini and no change. I'm sure they have these things locked out for users to change directly. I recall previously having to request other changes as I could not affect them through htaccess or other means.

I'll have to think about how much this means and whether it is worth the hassle of moving multiple sites that are hosted under this account to a new host.

EDIT: OK. So once I named the file .user.ini (with the leading dot), I got some action.

I also put it in the root of the sub-domain where the blog will live, since the parameter did not seem to carry through to the sub-domain.

PHP Info has three columns like so

Directive Local Value Master Value
    memory_limit 256M 128M

Does the "Local Value" override the "Master Value", or does the "Master" take precedent?
    Last edited by RayC; 11-13-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by fjgh View Post
    There is a very simple blog called "Das Blogce". It is written in Asp.net. It needs no database. It uses XML files to store blog entries so a real database like MySql isn't needed. And its free. And did I say it was simple.
    thats good... thanks for post