Thread: ALT tag doesn't publish

Default ALT tag doesn't publish

For no good reason at all I'd been avoiding image ALT tags for years but today I decided to change my ways. To my surprise, all I see in the published code is alt="". Yes, I verified that I'm seeing the newly published version by changing something else on the page. If the ALT text appears in the Picture Properties field, what could cause it to not get published?

UPDATE: So, if I put a new instance of the image onto the page, the ALT tag appears as it should. But any ALT tag for an image that has been sitting on the page without an ALT tag since 2006 cannot be updated. What the....?

If you are not already doing so - try deleting the current site in total (or at least the page concerned as a test) before uploading/updating
    Last edited by Senior Paper Monitor; 11-26-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBA View Post
    UPDATE: So, if I put a new instance of the image onto the page, the ALT tag appears as it should. But any ALT tag for an image that has been sitting on the page without an ALT tag since 2006 cannot be updated. What the....?
    Laurence,

I would try applying the ALT tags to existing images (maybe just a few as a test), then doing a "Re-Optimize" to see if that helps. Or maybe export as template, then new site from the template.

Depending on how many images you want to update, it may or may not be worth the effort compared to re-inserting...
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

The problem had persisted after saving as a template and reopening but now this is hard to test because I deleted and then re-inserted every image on the site, thus allowing me to add the ALT tags... and so there are no more problem images to test. I'll look for another old site to see if I can replicate the problem to do more testing.