Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Responsive Websites

Quote Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
    I agree I think the lack of communication from NOF is disgraceful! As can be seen from the comments in this and other threads they have had a loyal following of clients who just want to know what’s happening. Is there going to be a Responsive version? And if there is, a rough idea of when? Surly that’s not unreasonable?
    See post #10 in this thread - that question has been asked since January 2014. It's now January 2017. What's the point anymore? It's now the job of hangers-on to provide residual revenue for NOF's last business cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Ape View Post
    See post #10 in this thread - that question has been asked since January 2014. It's now January 2017. What's the point anymore? It's now the job of hangers-on to provide residual revenue for NOF's last business cycle.
    Thanks for the reminder of how long ago!
    I still pop in occasionally to see how the discussion is going, but no longer have any personal interest (or hope) in a responsive version - all my websites have long since been move to Wordpress.
    I still stand by my original observation in that I think Netobjects knew there would be no more new versions and are simply selling as many copies as they can, and relying on this forum's good-hearted stalwarts to provide support services.
    Last edited by Trimdoner; 01-09-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by Trimdoner View Post
    I still stand by my original observation in that I think Netobjects knew there would be no more new versions and are simply selling as many copies as they can, and relying on this forum's good-hearted stalwarts to provide support services.
    News of NetObjects demise are greatly exaggerated. Back in the days when this "forum" was on Usenet (IIRC), there was constant moaning and wailing that the company was bust, that there was only one guy in a basement somewhere just collecting whatever money they could, with no hope of a new version.

Is NetO generally unresponsive (no pun intended) to user inquiries? Absolutely.

Will NetO announce when a new version is coming? Never - like 99% of all software companies. That would simply cannibalize their current sales which pays the salary of the people developing the next version.

Is NetO a tiny company with only a handful of staff? I'm pretty certain.

Is NetO working on the next version of Fusion with responsive capabilities? I'd bet a large sum, including future earnings.

Will NetO go out of business? Possibly, but not until after the next version is released. Depending on how long it takes to get it to market and whether it fills the bill (and whether there is anyone left using Fusion) will determine whether NetO finally goes under.

I'm hoping for the best.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Default New Product?

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    I would believe a totally new product is coming because Fusion might have reached it's limit to be expanded to current software standards. Who knows?
    If there's still a fire there I think you have hit the nail on the head as the only possible future, NOF is done but a new NetSomething would be the only thing for me to expect. When I got my first version of NOF ( I don't need to be show-offy here to say what year or version I started with ) it fit very readily into my mousehand because building pages was very much like Quark Express and Corel Draw, which I was already familiar wiht employed in print media. Different items of content were 'put down' as objects. Now it seems responsive sites go together as 'blocks'. My guess is if there is a totally new product coming, and NOF being aware of it's 'fan' base and wants to repackage as well as keep loyalists in tow, I expect "NetBlocks Fusion" would be your new package and we'll all be using a new acronym of NBF.

Just havin' fun

Post I wonder ...

... if this world would be a better place if people instead of posting on forums would actually spend time learning to program and write code providing a solution instead of just fancying themselves injusticed and unrewarded ...

Attention Franko If they start flaming me, may I count on your sarcasm?
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Default Responsive Design with NOF

So, it looks from the old discussion that there is still NOT possible to develop Web sites in NOF for current market with modern functionality, right? So, it means that NOF is dead and I should look for other development tool?

Any suggestion what to use for the possibility to develop responsive websites?

Thanks, Jan

I think you just need to read this thread to see alternatives.
    NOF CAN simulate responsiveness by having different versions for mobile and desktop (and iPad), which isn't that bad a thing anyway because mobiel sites mostly do not need all the information that is included in the desktop version - and may well have a different navigation look....check out one I've just about done:
    http://www.libertybs.co.uk/clients/parkwood
    With a simple test inserted in the header it goes to the right version for the device.

corrected url above.......it also pases Google mobiel friendly test.
    Last edited by gprit; 01-16-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrix View Post
    Any suggestion what to use for the possibility to develop responsive websites?

Thanks, Jan
    For those that do, everyone goes their own way depending on how much they want to get involved with it. Some require no coding while others demand lots of code know-how, then there are some that are a mix of both. Then there's pricing. Some offer a free base product and you then purchase plugins or modules afterward, some are subscription based, and some you buy outright, but in pieces. Then some are built on your computer and publish to the web, while others are built online. The online versions are best if you want CMS functionality.

I could name some but others will too. You could search what are the best 'picks' as well but ultimately only you can answer your own question.

Attention Franko If they start flaming me, may I count on your sarcasm?
    Sarcastic? Moi? Never!

I can't remember if it was in this thread or in another, but I'll reiterate. You use whatever tool is best for the task at hand. No one tool does, can or should include everything that you might want to be able to do on the web in the second decade of the twenty-first century.

There is still no other tool that allows for the fast web site design and layout that does NoF. But that isn't necessarily a complete web site. If you require databse interactivity you have develop the database and write the SQL to access it. You do this outside of NoF. If you want responsive display, you can quite easily write the necessary code outside of NoF. Are you seeing my point?

The range of web technologies now being developed and used is too much to be incorporated in any one program. You use the tool that's appropriate for what it is you want to do. Sorry, but the day of the individual web designer/developer being able to do everything for a client is over. You need to build teams, people. If you're a designer, design. Use Photoshop or similar. If you're a front-end developer, use NoF for the initial sitemap and layout. Then hand it over to a programmer to write the back end stuff.

You'll be able to do much more, and satisfy your clients' requirements better, and gain bigger clients with this paradigm that with trying to find a single program to do everything a client needs today.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Sarcastic? Moi? Never!

I can't remember if it was in this thread or in another, but I'll reiterate. You use whatever tool is best for the task at hand. No one tool does, can or should include everything that you might want to be able to do on the web in the second decade of the twenty-first century.

There is still no other tool that allows for the fast web site design and layout that does NoF. But that isn't necessarily a complete web site. If you require databse interactivity you have develop the database and write the SQL to access it. You do this outside of NoF. If you want responsive display, you can quite easily write the necessary code outside of NoF. Are you seeing my point?

The range of web technologies now being developed and used is too much to be incorporated in any one program. You use the tool that's appropriate for what it is you want to do. Sorry, but the day of the individual web designer/developer being able to do everything for a client is over. You need to build teams, people. If you're a designer, design. Use Photoshop or similar. If you're a front-end developer, use NoF for the initial sitemap and layout. Then hand it over to a programmer to write the back end stuff.

You'll be able to do much more, and satisfy your clients' requirements better, and gain bigger clients with this paradigm that with trying to find a single program to do everything a client needs today.
    Hi franko,

Thanks for your inpt.
    My only webmaster tool is NOF and two ftp softwares: ACE free ware and Coffee Cup, the free version.
    I like simplicity.
    I believe that a website with blue background will not sell more sandals than one with a yellow background.
    When I visit a website, I read briefly and buy or move on to another one to compare prices.

I never click on all the gizmos at any website. I go in fast and get out even faster. I am in a terrible fight with time all the time.

Yes, I agree, not everybody must do like me just as I in turn must NOT do like everybody else

When I used to be a webmaster for a living (1997-1999), customers did not use to ask for many bells and whistles.
    I cannot remember a stubborn potential customer who gave me headaches, but indeed, I did not make a website for all the people I talked to or to all I provided an Invoice.
    Things just happen. There seems to be a critical mass: a certain number of potential customers who produce just a small number of real customers.
    Now, to be honest with you and all HOFers, I feel sorry for all of you to see how you must bow to customers' demands.

My approach to deal with potential customers was, is and forever will be to avoid at all cost the trouble makers who are individuals easily to detect.
    I no longer make websites for a living and I apply the rule above to everything else and everybody else, something which saves me time.
    I accept to deal with everything and everybody who is happy to talk to me, not someone who stresses me out or worse.

If you look back at my posts in this forum, I never complained about this or that, and never pressurized NOF owner(s)/manager(s) on any issue.
    I bet NOF owner/manager knows everything we want. Why lose my patience?
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.