Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Responsive Websites

If there are designers who are trying to get along with just one package, I think they will be limited in their creations.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    With my luck, I would hand the work off to an idiot who would screw everything up, and I would get sued for something. But it is a good idea otherwise. I am going to have to think about it. I can see some possibilities in there.

Rick
    Hi Rick,

1. You seem pessimistic today. A sudden change in your metabolism?

2. Nowhere in my post did I mention you must pass work on to an idiot.
    Create a circle of webmasters who can do what you cannot. Give them work especially from those potenial customers who YOU CANNOT please.
    It is a big shame not to TRY TO PLEASE the unpleasable ones. Your duty is to take their money which they are so eager to part with.
    You OWE it to youself to do both things you like and dislike.

In the California Gold Rush, Levi Strauss made a big nma and fortune by sewing hard denim trousers which he sold to hothead gold diggers most of who never found anything they dug for.
    Levi never looked for gold but found a type of "gold" of a different nature: lots of cash.

I do not know you personally but I take the liberty to say this: your intelligence will be tested at maximum when you manage to turn an "unpleasable" person into a customer of sorts.
    He has the cash you are after and you must DOMINATE him, not shy away.

Remember: if you do not score, you shall be automatically scored upon one way or another.

A. Take (unrefundable) deposits.
    B. Quote the dreamer the maximum price you can think of.
    C. Shop around for the adequate webmaster.
    D. In the end, negotiate maintenance fees.
    E. Tell the customer you had to use external help & the cost.

You will be surprised of how polite you can behave on a guy you actually want to slap.

You must develop a healthy appetite (and deep respect) for cash, not just for who or what you like.

Ha, ha, ha, do not sue me if my advice gets you into trouble!
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    I don't think NOF is going to come out with any new software for about another year. It seems like it takes about 3 years for any manufacturer to come out with a major upgrade or new product.
    Typically NO has a new release every two years. Last two were NOF2015 and NOF2013. Perhaps the responsive design aspect will take longer. We will see. If the next version does not support responsive directly, this forum will have tumbleweeds rolling through it.

I've dabbled recently with Wordpress, but security issues trouble me. I also tried (and purchased) that what-you-see-is-what-you get program a couple of years ago that some were raving about. It had some peculiar aspects that drove me absolutely bonkers and I haven't looked at it since. Website x5 looks interesting, and is worth another look. I also have Mobirise installed, but haven't had much inclination to try it. I suppose these endlessly scrolling type of websites are the future to allow mobile users to exercise their finger, but I can't help but think this trend will tire itself out. All of these sites look the same, like some sort of rolling billboard. Creating a unique site experience becomes difficult. Then what? One-trick ponies like Mobirise and Website X5 will have to adapt or die. And on it goes...

I have no answers, except whatever the next tool I choose, I want it to be flexible enough to cover all the bases, or I won't invest the time and brainpower to learn it.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I agree Ray that I absultely HATE these long scrolling webpages that dance around and all look the same!
    I generally would LOVE to continue using NOF but I also have to look around to protect business.
    Two contenders for me.....https://www.dudamobile.com/ and Website X5, with Duda being the most intuitive I think, although it is quite expensive pricing structure.
    There is also (for Dudapro an option to IMPORTR an existing URL and tweak it.

As has been said it would be great to have some sort of statement, even if it was along the lines 'yes we are working towards a fully responsive solution but hey we are having a few problems because it's not straightforward..... we'd all understand that and most I guess would wait.

Nobody wants to learn new software, everybody wants to be comfortable with old software, everything must be automated, lots of pictures with anonymous smiling faces, ...
    Hmm, will human race on remote, lonely planet Earth no alien wants to visit anymore ever escape the traps of comfort
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Interesting promo today on Giveaway Of The Day website.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Interesting promo today on Giveaway Of The Day website.
    why don't you stop making promotion for competitive products here? it's been annoying for some time now.

ok......I WANT to keep using NOF because the top two (responsive) ones I have evaluated (WYSIWYG and Duda) are not as intuitive as NOF. I appreciate it was a big step to convert NOF to produce HTML5 and CSS.......but as an IT Consultant in a former life.....one of the main mantras in any project with clients (aka customers) was COMMUNICATION. I gave a lot of presentations and the key was always Communication...Communication...Communication was the key to the success of of project,
    What CAN we do to ask Steve et al to tell tell us what is happening??? If they are working towards the 'final solution' tell us..even if they have problems and say we can't deliver before 2018. At least we would know it is on its way...

Rick has nailed the issue from a business perspective.

I would have loved to have stayed with NoF (having been there several years) and delayed doing anything for far too long because of this - indeed until the point it was damaging my business (for which my websites are an important tool).

With some sort of 'road map' of development available I would have invested the time into workarounds on the responsive front. With absolutely no response from the management of NoF (some of the most appalling business management I have ever witnessed - I can't recall ever seeing so much goodwill simply and deliberately burnt !!) I eventually went elsewhere.

I actually went to one of the products mentioned by gprit - perhaps not quite as intuitive, as he says, but I didn't find it a major issue and the resulting functionality is in a different league. Possibly even more important is the level of support that the supplier offers (NoF's has never been any better than near non-existent - indeed if it were not for the support of Mike [Turtle] @ Gotfusion I would never have stayed with NoF anyway). I am delighted with the move, have invested in the unavoidable learning cycle and cannot perceive any circumstances where I would return.

I remain confident I am not the only one (and it could have easily been avoided - at least in my case - by some competent management and communication). If there are still NoF employees then Raubenstine should hang his head in shame for letting them down while they toil away on updating products - if there aren't, then he should stop conning the poor souls he is still flogging this 'past its use by date' software to.
    Last edited by Senior Paper Monitor; 01-07-2017 at 09:17 PM.

I agree I think the lack of communication from NOF is disgraceful! As can be seen from the comments in this and other threads they have had a loyal following of clients who just want to know what’s happening. Is there going to be a Responsive version? And if there is, a rough idea of when? Surly that’s not unreasonable?