Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Responsive Websites

Quote Originally Posted by gprit View Post
    I know there has beeen much discussion on this.....I have been with NOF since v7...but I am increasingly embarrassed when clients ask "Is it responsive..."? I really REALLY do not want to go elsewhere.....and of most alternatives I have looked at I do not like...either monthly payments (do not want...happy to pay a purchase price...) or simply too complicated....such as coffecup....
    Have done a bit of research and looking at two......http://www.ucraft.com and http://www.websitex5.com

I have to sy that both of these are streets ahead of NOF 2015.....Please...PLEASE...Steve...tell us that SOMETHING is on the way that will compete with these, otherwise your users will leave in droves.....
    Hi gprit,

This topic made many, many comments in this forum ... and even led to the banning of Bluesman (longtime NOF user ...) plus the deletion of all his posts

We can all only hope that NOF owner and manager are doing their best to accommodate responsiveness in the upcoming version.

The optimist in me likes to believe the new NOF version will be absolutely smashing, far ahead of all the responsive imitators software makers ... NOF managers, please make the competition bite the dust, a lot of dust, not just a bit ...

I realize that many NOFists lose their patience, but rest assured, not me.
    I am calm, veeeeery calm.

Season Greetings!
    John - The secret of life is a better life.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    ... If I had to work with people wanting websites I would not last a week trying to please the general public with web sites I design.
    Hi Rick,

You can never please ALL the public.

Tell them you can make responsive websites, take deposits from them and pass the work onto other webmasters who make a (bitter) living pleasing people ...

(Pssst! do not tell anyone, ... of course you keep a cut for yourself)
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by Since_v4 View Post
    Hi Rick,

You can never please ALL the public.

Tell them you can make responsive websites, take deposits from them and pass the work onto other webmasters who make a (bitter) living pleasing people ...

(Pssst! do not tell anyone, ... of course you keep a cut for yourself)
    With my luck, I would hand the work off to an idiot who would screw everything up, and I would get sued for something. But it is a good idea otherwise. I am going to have to think about it. I can see some possibilities in there.

Rick

If there are designers who are trying to get along with just one package, I think they will be limited in their creations.
    Precisely.

With my luck, I would hand the work off to an idiot who would screw everything up, and I would get sued for something. But it is a good idea otherwise. I am going to have to think about it. I can see some possibilities in there.

Rick
    Hi Rick,

1. You seem pessimistic today. A sudden change in your metabolism?

2. Nowhere in my post did I mention you must pass work on to an idiot.
    Create a circle of webmasters who can do what you cannot. Give them work especially from those potenial customers who YOU CANNOT please.
    It is a big shame not to TRY TO PLEASE the unpleasable ones. Your duty is to take their money which they are so eager to part with.
    You OWE it to youself to do both things you like and dislike.

In the California Gold Rush, Levi Strauss made a big nma and fortune by sewing hard denim trousers which he sold to hothead gold diggers most of who never found anything they dug for.
    Levi never looked for gold but found a type of "gold" of a different nature: lots of cash.

I do not know you personally but I take the liberty to say this: your intelligence will be tested at maximum when you manage to turn an "unpleasable" person into a customer of sorts.
    He has the cash you are after and you must DOMINATE him, not shy away.

Remember: if you do not score, you shall be automatically scored upon one way or another.

A. Take (unrefundable) deposits.
    B. Quote the dreamer the maximum price you can think of.
    C. Shop around for the adequate webmaster.
    D. In the end, negotiate maintenance fees.
    E. Tell the customer you had to use external help & the cost.

You will be surprised of how polite you can behave on a guy you actually want to slap.

You must develop a healthy appetite (and deep respect) for cash, not just for who or what you like.

Ha, ha, ha, do not sue me if my advice gets you into trouble!

I don't think NOF is going to come out with any new software for about another year. It seems like it takes about 3 years for any manufacturer to come out with a major upgrade or new product.
    Typically NO has a new release every two years. Last two were NOF2015 and NOF2013. Perhaps the responsive design aspect will take longer. We will see. If the next version does not support responsive directly, this forum will have tumbleweeds rolling through it.

I've dabbled recently with Wordpress, but security issues trouble me. I also tried (and purchased) that what-you-see-is-what-you get program a couple of years ago that some were raving about. It had some peculiar aspects that drove me absolutely bonkers and I haven't looked at it since. Website x5 looks interesting, and is worth another look. I also have Mobirise installed, but haven't had much inclination to try it. I suppose these endlessly scrolling type of websites are the future to allow mobile users to exercise their finger, but I can't help but think this trend will tire itself out. All of these sites look the same, like some sort of rolling billboard. Creating a unique site experience becomes difficult. Then what? One-trick ponies like Mobirise and Website X5 will have to adapt or die. And on it goes...

I have no answers, except whatever the next tool I choose, I want it to be flexible enough to cover all the bases, or I won't invest the time and brainpower to learn it.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I agree Ray that I absultely HATE these long scrolling webpages that dance around and all look the same!
    I generally would LOVE to continue using NOF but I also have to look around to protect business.
    Two contenders for me.....https://www.dudamobile.com/ and Website X5, with Duda being the most intuitive I think, although it is quite expensive pricing structure.
    There is also (for Dudapro an option to IMPORTR an existing URL and tweak it.

As has been said it would be great to have some sort of statement, even if it was along the lines 'yes we are working towards a fully responsive solution but hey we are having a few problems because it's not straightforward..... we'd all understand that and most I guess would wait.

RayC said:

"I have no answers, except whatever the next tool I choose, I want it to be flexible enough to cover all the bases, or I won't invest the time and brainpower to learn it."

The problem is that until you buy, learn, and use new software for awhile, you will never know if it ends up suitable or not. I have wasted a lot of money over the years on bad software, but I don't know any other way to find the right software.

You said that you tried a WYSIWYG product which I'll assume was WYSIWYG Web Builder 10 or 11 and you didn't like it. I have been using version 11 of this software for a short time and I have not run into any problems with it so far. I would be interested to know what you found with it so I can test it myself. At this point, I like the software.

Rick
    Last edited by rick6811; 12-13-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Nobody wants to learn new software, everybody wants to be comfortable with old software, everything must be automated, lots of pictures with anonymous smiling faces, ...
    Hmm, will human race on remote, lonely planet Earth no alien wants to visit anymore ever escape the traps of comfort

Interesting promo today on Giveaway Of The Day website.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in