Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile website menu

Later:
    ....Which is what I did after reading the link from Post 8 - have read a bit about mobile websites but never come across that before - thank you.
    Anyway in practical terms.... for iphone 6 ....375px x 667px (and really all small group phones) the NOF page needs to be set to around 1000px x 1750px to fit the screen. The text on the pages is then increased in size to between 36 and 48px to display properly.
    That's what I did - Looks as if you have made your Home page narrow in the expectation that it would fit smartphone. It won't automatically.
    To clarify, the text is NOT automatically increased in size.

You have to have two versions of the website - one desktop (and ipad will be ok with that) and one for 'smaller' devices. The text needs to be sized as stated AND the line spacing needs to be changed accordingly (via CSS or Style). Images also need to be resized to fit the smartphone device (eg 1000px if you want to fill the width of the smartphone). Not sure why you want to set at 540px....1000px looks fine on all smartphones.

I have created several mobile versions (in addition to original post) including:
    http://www.lookinggood-aberdare.co.uk
    and http://www.libertybs.co.uk

Two versions means you can vary things like menus on the smartphone version (which you cannot do on all these 'responsive' websites).
    The only downside is that you have to maintain two versions - in your case eg if you add/delete products.

Two versions means you can vary things like menus on the smartphone version (which you cannot do on all these 'responsive' websites).
    Sure you can. You can make any changes at any breakpoint you set. For example, you can set a breakpoint at 480px to change from a text menu to a hamburger menu. You can make layout changes, text changes, dynamically sizing images; in fact, pretty much whatever you want.

I have now tried all the major contenders and have spoken to their support teams about this.
    I stand to be corrected if things have moved on but None of them say you can do that.
    Hamburger menus are simply default alternatives, not customisable. Also cannot have pages just for mobile or vice versa (except one I think whose name I cannot remember)

Have a look at http://www.lookinggood-aberdare.co.uk (using NOF).

Totally different menu for the smartphone version - can that be done with breakpoints? Also just HATE the look alike of all these responsive sites.
    Last edited by gprit; 12-15-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gprit View Post
    Hamburger menus are simply default alternatives, not customisable. Also cannot have pages just for mobile or vice versa (except one I think whose name I cannot remember)

Have a look at http://www.lookinggood-aberdare.co.uk (using NOF).

Totally different menu for the smartphone version - can that be done with breakpoints? Also just HATE the look alike of all these responsive sites.
    The current plague of mobile sites reminds me of the early days when all sites used the blink html option everywhere and had animated gifs scattered all over the pages

Click this

FYI... the animated gif came from a local backup of a site I put online in 1999... NO you can't see how pitiful it was either
    Last edited by gotFusion; 12-15-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Totally different menu for the smartphone version - can that be done with breakpoints?
    Yes, of course it can.

Also just HATE the look alike of all these responsive sites.
    I'm with you there. One of the reasons I stayed with NoF so long was because it was one of the few apps that let me start with a completely clean slate design-wise. That's always been its strength but now it's also its weakness, because having that functionality together with responsive output is one heck of a software engineering task. Unfortunately the impact of mobile devices has been devastating on device because functionality trumps design every time. And the fact is, mobile is dominant these days (there are, of course, exceptions, such as in the case of an intranet or exteranet where you have control over the user's desktop). We even use the word apps now instead of applications or programs; that's migrated from the mobile world.

Yes, of course it can.
    Hi Franko...be interested to know which ones can do the equivalent of that...maybe a pointer to an example...?

You can change every aspect of a web site at whichever breakpoints you want to set. Changing the menu is no different from changing images or text sizes. You can do that with Coffee Cup's responsive software. There's good support in the forums, too, from people who are passionate about the software -- including CC's staff.

Don't know about other apps because I haven't really got into them. Since there's nothing like NoF to build responsive sites I haven't bothered.

Franko - you are right! I've mentioned in other posts that I have been evaluating responsive website builders, but had not yet done so fully for Coffee Cup RSD.

Anyway......the following......WYSIWYG / Website X5 /Template Toaster / Wix / Squarespace / Mobirise do NOT allow this.

Maybe this is reflected in the high end price of Coffeecup (can be as high as $369 with all recommended bells and whistles) - it is certainly a very comprehensive offering - but takes a lot of learning, so well done Franko!

The only other one that seems to come near it is Duda mobile, and again it is a high price product.

I suppose it's the old adage 'you get what you pay for.....'
    For me at the moment - with my client profiles, I will stick to NOF for Desktop and smartphone, with the occasional use of Mobirise
    I like Template Toaster, (nearest to NOF including master header/footer) but too many bugs still.

I am also having the same issue while visiting this gb whatsapp site on mobile and I also doesn't see any website menu which got fixed after some time.