Thread: Webpage Display Problem On Tablets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Webpage Display Problem On Tablets

I have a website www.BriansGolfWorks.com. The entire website displays properly on computers. All of the pages are built using the same table that was copied from page to page. Three Pages (About Us -> Contact Us, About Us-> Videos, Golf Club Repairs) display too wide in vertical mode on Tablets. In horizontal mode they all display correctly. All of the other pages display correctly in horizontal or vertical mode. All of the banner pictures were created at 1250 pixels wide as that is the width of the page.
    Created in NOF15

I'm Stumped, Stupefied and Flabbergasted - Any Ideas ???

Welcome to the world of responsive websites.

Incidentally have look a the site on your (or someone else's) smartphone - but leave it a few days if you don't want to ruin your Christmas.

There are a number of threads on this forum - but frankly there are limited answers with NoF (albeit I have just rescued my last Nof 2010 site to be semi-responsive so it lasts a few months while my last permanent [is anything permanent ?] replacement gets compliance approval).

Can I suggest that your Boxing day might be well spent googling 'responsive websites' ?

Throw you URL into this and it will start to explain 'some' of the problems .. https://testmysite.thinkwithgoogle.com/

If your websites are important to you in attracting new business you need to invest some time in this area - good luck !

I'll suggest installing the following browser: tps://blisk.io/ which was recommended to me on this forum.
    Using this you will see just how many formats / sizes (portrait and landscape) there are across numerous devices.

It is impossible to code for everyone of them...best that can be done using non responsive software is to split into three groups:
    < 768px (smartphones)
    < 1024px (iPads/tablets
    > 1024px (laptop/desktops)

BUT...it would mean creating (and maintaining) three versions of a website and directing to the appropriate one with device detection code inserted on the header page.

I would add it's probably not the best idea to build a whole website using tables.

Just a quick note on what's being described above, there are two ways to build your site to fit multiple screens widths.
    A responsive site is built once and it adapts the content to fit on the fly - Mobirise is free software that will give you an excellent introduction to this method. It also uses the Masterborder idea like NOF (good for your navbar) but is reserved for headers and footers only.
    gprit's method is more work but can be done with NOF without a lot of worry on code (if you're not using a lot of third party stuff). I would use the 3 group method he gave but make the pixel widths absolute and change ipads/tablets to 768 and use 320 for phones. There are other softwares out there too that allow you build in this method but gives you the convenience to keep all inside just 1 project file.

Quote Originally Posted by bt54 View Post
    I have a website www.BriansGolfWorks.com. The entire website displays properly on computers. All of the pages are built using the same table that was copied from page to page. Three Pages (About Us -> Contact Us, About Us-> Videos, Golf Club Repairs) display too wide in vertical mode on Tablets. In horizontal mode they all display correctly. All of the other pages display correctly in horizontal or vertical mode. All of the banner pictures were created at 1250 pixels wide as that is the width of the page.
    Created in NOF15

I'm Stumped, Stupefied and Flabbergasted - Any Ideas ???
    Like you I was up the creek.
    Depending which way you look at it, I am fortunate or not to have contracted MS in Feb last year, at the age of 57!
    So, I can survive on a pension (just) and charge cheap for sites. Still deciding what to do.
    You can make a NOF15 site responsive. www.bin.bayislandnews.com.au The subdomain is responsive in NOF, the main domain is in wordpress. Fortunately I have been doing sites since 1995,so learning yet another bloody trick is usual!
    OK, here is the link:
    http://www.nof-schule.de/forum/t-res...objects-fusion

In german, to let google translate for you. If I can do it, you can too!
    Somewhere there is an .NFT file, which helps quite a lot. Hack away..