Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOF / App advice wanted

Default NOF / App advice wanted

Hi guys.

Forum newbie here, posting in the hope that someone may be in a position to offer me some advice.

I've been using NOF 12 for a bit now. I now want to create a mobile app to use on the Android platform (may want to add iPhone later). The app will be used within a voluntary organisation to glean information on a regular basis, so it won't need to be native or made available to the masses.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with coding at all but I do know my way around NOF 12 fairly well.

Bottom line for me is that I need to create an app that allows the user to complete a tick-box page of around 10-12 standardised YES/NO questions, then, when all the boxes are complete, they can hit a button at the bottom of the page that automatically emails the tick-box data to a pre-set (by me) email address.

I've looked at MOSAIC and a couple of other online tools, but they seem too limited for what I want.

Would anyone know whether or not any of the NOF versions can do what I'm looking for, or if not, could anyone possibly advise me where to look for something that will do what I'm looking for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers and Peace wherever you are.

andy

Look at the documentation for NOF 2015 in the "Forms Handler" topic. It may do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    Look at the documentation for NOF 2015 in the "Forms Handler" topic. It may do what you want.
    Thanks for the advice Rick - much appreciated.

Looks like NOF 2015 could be the answer as the templates and prewritten forms seem to be adaptable enough for what I'm looking for.

I've been doing some research into programming with Java too, which doesn't look too taxing.

Maybe a nice little combo of the two will get me there :-)

Cheers again,

Andy

A form with javascript (not the same thing as java) may well be the best solution. You say you have no coding experience so, frankly, java is not the language to start with. Besides, you don't need a full-blown object oriented programming language to do what you want. Javascript is more than capable of doing what you want, and will be much quicker and easier to learn.

Just to be clear, javascript is a scripting language that runs in the browser. Java is an object oriented compiled programming language that is designed to allow programmers to write once, run anywhere without recompiling for different platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    A form with javascript (not the same thing as java) may well be the best solution. You say you have no coding experience so, frankly, java is not the language to start with. Besides, you don't need a full-blown object oriented programming language to do what you want. Javascript is more than capable of doing what you want, and will be much quicker and easier to learn.

Just to be clear, javascript is a scripting language that runs in the browser. Java is an object oriented compiled programming language that is designed to allow programmers to write once, run anywhere without recompiling for different platforms.
    Hey Franko,

Thank you for the information and the advice.

I was being slightly flippant as regards me learning Java - as if I'd have time to absorb half of what I'd need to know.....

That said, coding does interest me, so I'll look around to see what's about in terms of learning resources for javascript.

I really appreciate advice from guys who know their stuff, so thanks again for taking time out to point me in the right direction.

Now, having bought into NOF 15, I'm off to open it up and explore.

Just a thought, but there any patches or updates I need to get hold of before I get stuck in?

Cheers

When you start up NoF there's a check for updates menu item. Not sure where it is as I only open Fusion when I need to as I'm running it in a virtual machine on a 6 year old iMac.

You can set Fusion to search for updates automatically in the Applications Options menu item.
    Last edited by franko; 12-28-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrats View Post
    Bottom line for me is that I need to create an app that allows the user to complete a tick-box page of around 10-12 standardised YES/NO questions, then, when all the boxes are complete, they can hit a button at the bottom of the page that automatically emails the tick-box data to a pre-set (by me) email address.
    andy
    Jotform will do all you need, possibly even the free version will be sufficient. Just add the generated form code or link to a web page.
    https://www.jotform.com/

There are a number of online forms hosting companies. Just Google em. Also ppl are using other apps for forms. Check out Coffee Cup's offerings. I use 3 or 4 of their applications, including their excellent HTML Editor.

Happy new year all from a very rainy UK :-(

Many thanks for your help over the break guys.

I tried jotform yesterday- which is great. I intend looking at coffee cup later on, but I'm now getting my head around what I need in order to get my proposed application sorted.

If I use the jotform template I've created, I'm not 100% sure how I'd get that onto my webapp; Can I just create a link to it, or is it fairly straight forward to use the code within my app?

Also, I'm happy to post this in the relevant section, but in NOF 15, if I want to create a completely blank site - as in, NO default banners, colours etc, does anyone know if there an easy way to do that? NOF 11 was easy, but whenever I attempt to select and delete, it won't select anything. Frustrating beyond belief!!

Cheers