Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphics Program Question!

Your issue with the PNG file is not uncommon if you do a Google search. Just about every program - from video editing to Adobe Suite - has experienced this. I think it has to do with 8-bit PNG files, which can only have a single transparent colour. Some format differences cause other programs to not recognize the transparent bit. Ideally, it is just a matter of re-establishing "black" as the transparent colour. Hopefully there is not the exact same colour within the graphic.

24-bit PNG files support alpha channel, which allows gradient and partial transparency. These tend to be better recognized across different platforms, but produce larger file sizes.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Default Graphics Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Randalllhax View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good graphics program for a complete beginner? If there was something available online that was FREE or offered a FREE trial, yet is still a decent program...I would be really interested in that
    I would highly recommend the Corel Graphics Suite, a swiss army knife of graphic tools. But I would also recommend staying away from the web building features. Sorry to say though you just missed out on some really good price options over the holidays. I made my initial investment over 15 years ago so upgrade prices haven't been expensive for me, plus I only upgrade every 3rd version or so depending on user reviews. You may want to buy the Home & Student version then upgrade later. The full version does have a free trial.

But I have also had PhotoShop on the side since they are usually first with new image editing features. I'm currently using CS5 and when this machine goes, so will PS. I won't do the monthly subscription. Whatever PS invents usually comes out in CorelPaint about 2 versions later. I've tried Gimp as well but being used to the above mentioned found it too cumbersome.

Regarding transparency in PNG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Snuffy Smith View Post
    The problem seems to be the fact that in PSP-6 it will let you edit the pallet and set any color point on the pallet as the transparent color you want.
    This is treating your PNG like a GIF which totally takes all the magic and usefulness of transparencies in PNG's out. PNG is not just transparency, it's also opacity - which means more than any one colour point. You can have a colour be a gradient to total transparency.

Also when you see PNG with 'black' as the suspected transparent colour, I find I get that depending on how I brought it into the program. Copy/Paste or Drag/Drop doesn't work. You get the scenario you're speaking of where just one colour is to be set transparent - any colour with an opacity value is lost. Going to File > Open > filename.png brings it in true. Make sure your image is on it's own layer with no bottom layer when editing, then simply save as PNG and your 24-bit image automatically has transparency and opacity.

Hope this makes sense. ;-)

I want to learn graphic desiging so I can change the infographic of my webpage hesco bill check
    myself. I don't have much understanding about your question. Kindly guide where should I try to learn designing?

Really I also face PNg and web image problems. I used to paint and other software. I make different logos on photoshop on my new iPad rental. Now, I get the solution to the image problem simply copy png or issue the image and paste it into the paint. That's really good work.