Thread: FAQ form and administration page problem

Unhappy FAQ form and administration page problem

I have set up the FAQ page and also added the separate Admin page which is hidden. The issue is that the questions keep disappearing This happens about every month, today when I checked the FAQ page and only had 6 of the 27 questions remaining. I have a backup so I added them back to the file, but my question is why is this happening and how can I stop it from happening. Should I take the write permission off the file, if I do that the hit counter will not be updated? What is causing this problem and what could I do to stop it from happening?

Oy! You're not going to like my comments. I had a similar problem with the NOF FAQ back in NOF 11 (or was it 10?). I was in final stages of completion of a site and gave the client access to try things out. The FAQs kept disappearing. I actually accused the client of deleting them!

After maintaining a separate document with the Q's and A's so I could re-enter them from time to time, I eventually sought out a third party freeware script and abandoned the NOF FAQ.

If you figure out what is causing this, let us all know and we can get NO to finally fix it!
    Last edited by RayC; 03-25-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thanks for your input Ray, I was having the same thoughts about the elimination of entries in the file. However, I know that it is a software problem in the code generated by NOF I'm just not sure what is triggering the event. I will keep looking. If anyone has a solution, PLEASE let us know.

Well I am losing a question per day from the FAQ list. Since I make a backup of the list it is rather easy to put the entry back and save the file. This is getting to be a real problem though. God forbid I go on vacation and return to find all the questions gone again. This is doing a real disservice to the community at large when the software removes items from the list.

I need a fix for this problem!

See my latest post on this issue. It has gone from questions disappearing to Total corruption of the questions. Please NetObjects Help! This has been going on for several years. Is is to much to ask you to fix a bug in your software?

Ray, do you still have access to that script? I need it bad!

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi,

unfortunately I have this problem since NOF 10. Randomly some or all of my entries are deleted and since then I check the size of this CSV-file daily

First I thought I am hacked but this must be a bug while some visitors are clicking something there. I tried a million clicks, but it never happened while I have tested it.
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by dbinindy View Post
    Ray, do you still have access to that script? I need it bad!
    I've done a bit of digging, but I can't seem to even identify which script I ended up using. The client site is long gone, and my backups don't have enough info. There was something call "A Little Q and A", but the website for it is also long gone. But surely there is something better around now.

Do a Google search for "free FAQ script", or even try Code Canyon and purchase something for a few bucks. I know I went through a number of them until I found one that was suitable. Generally, I found the paid scripts were too complex with too many features (if that's a thing). At the time, I just wanted something to display FAQ's without user submitted questions or a support tracking database.

Check around. You'll find something you like.

Don't limit your search to "FAQ", either. I've been known to force scripts into areas they weren't intended. Look at simple News scripts (headline=question, article=answer) or a Glossary or Dictionary script. Even a Testimonials script might work.

If you find something decent, let us know.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in