Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems Uploading

Default Problems Uploading

HELP! Can anyone help restore my sanity? I have a very large personal website. Hundreds of pages of text and thousands of images. Thousands of hours work. Yesterday I tried to load two new pages but NOF12 won't let me. Just occasionally (but not usually) it will send a small .htm file but as soon as it hits a .jpg file it hangs and come back with "Error Sending the File k:\church 23/preview/autogen/Gaddesby Web062" (for example). This happens even with a page that has been previously uploaded. This has just started happening and it does it with whichever version of my site (I keep many backups) I use. I have re-optimised. I have verified assets. I have generated a whole Local site (took over 2 hours on a powerful desktop) that works perfectly. I have seen on other postings that this means all is ok but I still can't upload via Remote Connection. I have verified the connection to the server. I can see that one or two .htm files have got through. I tried re-loading an existing page. This was a mistake because having received a small .htm file and nothing else that page is now blank. I dare not just send the whole site (which would take hours) in case it wipes out the whole site (and I would probably slash my wrists). I'm no techie and I don't know anything about using an external ftp program. But my problem - I can't over-emphasise this - is that the site is highly structured, with hundreds of internal links. I'm scared to death of trying to to do anything outside the NOF program. I'm hoping someone has some ideas...pretty please! Lionel

You said it took hours to do a local publish??? How big is the published site on your computer? In megabytes...mb? If you can local publish but you can't send the directory via FTP to your hosting company, it sounds like you have a web hosting problem. I often wonder why people with hosting problems always come to the Netobjects site first when Netobjects seems to be working as in a successful local publish.

You might consider making a big website into a few smaller ones. A lot of large sites like Amazon (which is really huge) and most other e-commerce sites are really a bunch of smaller sites that talk to each other. Some big sites may be really 5 to 100 smaller sites. These smaller sites use microservices. This makes managing them much easier. If I took a wild guess I would say Amazon is actually at least a thousand smaller web sites made to look like one big one.
    Last edited by rick6811; 02-28-2017 at 11:05 PM.

If your Local Publish is good, then simply upload the entire Local Publish site to the document root of your production server using an ftp program such as filezilla. Programs like Filezilla are much better at reading web server parameters automatically than is the ftp component in Fusion.

I presume your web server is a windows IIS as you are using a .htm suffix. Check to make sure; if you are on a Unix server then .htm may not be recognised (Apache has to be explicitly told to recognise .htm as well as .html which is the norm on the web.)

It would seem that web server settings may be blocking certain files. The first place I would check on a unix server would be the file permissions, but I'm afraid I know nothing about IIS settings having never used windows servers. Perhaps someone else will chip in who has worked with windows.

Contents of the preview folder are not to be uploaded to the web server.

Clear the contents of Preview and re-optimize the site.

Then publish.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    Contents of the preview folder are not to be uploaded to the web server.

Clear the contents of Preview and re-optimize the site.

Then publish.
    Chuck, thanks so much for this. Can you tell me why this folder exists? Is it populated when I preview a page? If so, and if it isn't needed, why does NOF send it to the website at all? Without being facetious, does it send it just because it's there?

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    You said it took hours to do a local publish??? How big is the published site on your computer? In megabytes...mb? If you can local publish but you can't send the directory via FTP to your hosting company, it sounds like you have a web hosting problem. I often wonder why people with hosting problems always come to the Netobjects site first when Netobjects seems to be working as in a successful local publish.

You might consider making a big website into a few smaller ones. A lot of large sites like Amazon (which is really huge) and most other e-commerce sites are really a bunch of smaller sites that talk to each other. Some big sites may be really 5 to 100 smaller sites. These smaller sites use microservices. This makes managing them much easier. If I took a wild guess I would say Amazon is actually at least a thousand smaller web sites made to look like one big one.
    Thanks for this. Ipage tell me I'm using 875 Mb. You are very welcome to have a look at my site: www.greatenglishchurches.co.uk. I have considered breaking the site down but, although I'm not a technical person per se. Nevertheless, I did in another life commission some very large web-based IT projects. I have bitter experience of how innocuous-sounding ideas can become a vale of tears. The risk-reward ratio is very poor in this case. Then, of course, I have to pay the host (Ipage) to hold all of those mini websites and worry about more domain management. If I knew the project would become so large I perhaps would have done it differently. As to why poeple come on here with hosting problems I imagine it is because they don't know where the problem lies (I don't) and it easier to start with a community that might have met this problem before. regards Lionel

Quote Originally Posted by brumman47 View Post
    Thanks for this. Ipage tell me I'm using 875 Mb. You are very welcome to have a look at my site: www.greatenglishchurches.co.uk. I have considered breaking the site down but, although I'm not a technical person per se. Nevertheless, I did in another life commission some very large web-based IT projects. I have bitter experience of how innocuous-sounding ideas can become a vale of tears. The risk-reward ratio is very poor in this case. Then, of course, I have to pay the host (Ipage) to hold all of those mini websites and worry about more domain management. If I knew the project would become so large I perhaps would have done it differently. As to why poeple come on here with hosting problems I imagine it is because they don't know where the problem lies (I don't) and it easier to start with a community that might have met this problem before. regards Lionel
    Your site is not real big but bigger than most personal sites. It should only take about 10 minutes max to upload your site which is 734mb, 287 web pages, with 7387 files.

When anybody downloads a page from your site, it's the web server doing the work. Web servers connect to browsers or web clients which mimic browsers. When you upload your site to your web host, the FTP server is doing the work. The web server does nothing during the upload.

It still sounds to me that the host company's FTP server has a problem or the login info has changed in the FTP server or it changed in the Netobjects builtin client.

I know the host web server is working ok, and I can prove that to you, but I don't know about the FTP server. Ask your host to check it. If they say it works ok then you should try uploading a small folder of files to a NEW folder created on the servers if you don't want your current web site erased with the smaller new folder. Use Filezilla client. It's very easy to use.

If you don't want to mess with your current site then I have a solution for you to try. If so, send me a private message and I will tell you how to test the upload of your Netobjects published web site without going to your current site.
    Last edited by rick6811; 03-01-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    Your site is not real big but bigger than most personal sites. It should only take about 10 minutes max to upload your site which is 734mb, 287 web pages, with 7387 files.

When anybody downloads a page from your site, it's the web server doing the work. Web servers connect to browsers or web clients which mimic browsers. When you upload your site to your web host, the FTP server is doing the work. The web server does nothing during the upload.

It still sounds to me that the host company's FTP server has a problem or the login info has changed in the FTP server or it changed in the Netobjects builtin client.

I know the host web server is working ok, and I can prove that to you, but I don't know about the FTP server. Ask your host to check it. If they say it works ok then you should try uploading a small folder of files to a NEW folder created on the servers if you don't want your current web site erased with the smaller new folder. Use Filezilla client. It's very easy to use.

If you don't want to mess with your current site then I have a solution for you to try. If so, send me a private message and I will tell you how to test the upload of your Netobjects published web site without going to your current site.
    Thanks, Rick. I've had a frustrating day but...I have used Filezilla to upload some .jpg files that NOF12 can't load. I say SOME because after a short while Filezilla started telling me of an "Error 530: Too many clients (8)" which is obviously nonsense - and one that other Filezilla users have encountered apparently. It keeps saying it. So it seems that iPage can accept files - up to a point. I'm trying to find a way of contacting iPage who are proving elusive (being in the UK I obviously can't phone them). In the meantime, NOF still can't upload files other than .htm and .gif. So I don't know what to take from this really. Every page I make has .htm components, gifs (headings and so on) and lots of jpgs. To spoonfeed it all via Filezilla would be painstaking even if I could get it to work consistently. It does seem to me that there is a problem within NOF but until I can consistently send stuff via Filezilla I can't be sure. It could be that whatever is causing Filezilla problems is doing the same in NOF. regards Lionel

My nightmare continues. Filezilla returns countless error messages. I've appended just a snapshot of a few lines of it. Somewhere along the line one or two files get uploaded but the whole thing is unusable. I can see this is not an NOF issue after all. I think it's either at iPage or with my ISP. Ipage no longer seems to have the ability to "raise a ticket" and I have not succeeded after many attempts to get their "24/7 online chat" to respond. I've seen Forum posts for my ISP (BT) about similar problems and my heart sinks because they just never seem to be able to resolve anything. I'm just depressed. I'm seeing a project that has been my pride and joy for five years aborted by some computer settings in some unknown place in the ether. I've been using computers at home and at work for over thirty years and still anybody but the most basic user has to become an amateur tech expert. If anybody has any advice that doesn't involve nooses or toxic substances I'd be grateful.

Status: Starting upload of C:\Users\Lionel\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites\Church 23\Assets\Tilton Revisited (26)a.jpg
    Status: File transfer successful, transferred 362,274 bytes in 1 second
    Status: Starting upload of C:\Users\Lionel\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites\Church 23\Assets\Tilton Revisited (31)a.jpg
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Type set to I
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,96,147,152,224,17)
    Command: MLSD
    Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for MLSD
    Response: 226 Transfer complete
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,96,147,152,68,106)
    Command: STOR Tilton Revisited (17)a.jpg
    Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Tilton Revisited (17)a.jpg
    Error: Disconnected from server: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted
    Error: File transfer failed
    Status: Resolving address of ftp.greatenglishchurches.co.uk
    Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Status: Starting upload of C:\Users\Lionel\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites\Church 23\Assets\Tilton Revisited (33)a.jpg
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,96,147,152,126,248)
    Command: STOR Tilton Revisited (31)a.jpg
    Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Tilton Revisited (31)a.jpg
    Status: Starting upload of C:\Users\Lionel\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites\Church 23\Assets\Tilton Revisited (31)a.jpg
    Status: Retrieving directory listing of "/assets/images/autogen"...
    Command: CWD /assets/images/autogen
    Response: 250 CWD command successful
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Type set to I
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,96,147,152,154,39)
    Command: STOR Tilton Revisited (33)a.jpg
    Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Tilton Revisited (33)a.jpg
    Command: USER englishparishchurchc
    Response: 331 Password required for englishparishchurchc
    Command: PASS ********
    Response: 530 Sorry, the maximum number of clients (8) for this user are already connected.
    Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

Default Problem Solved!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brumman47 View Post
    Thanks, Rick. I've had a frustrating day but...I have used Filezilla to upload some .jpg files that NOF12 can't load. I say SOME because after a short while Filezilla started telling me of an "Error 530: Too many clients (8)" which is obviously nonsense - and one that other Filezilla users have encountered apparently. It keeps saying it. So it seems that iPage can accept files - up to a point. I'm trying to find a way of contacting iPage who are proving elusive (being in the UK I obviously can't phone them). In the meantime, NOF still can't upload files other than .htm and .gif. So I don't know what to take from this really. Every page I make has .htm components, gifs (headings and so on) and lots of jpgs. To spoonfeed it all via Filezilla would be painstaking even if I could get it to work consistently. It does seem to me that there is a problem within NOF but until I can consistently send stuff via Filezilla I can't be sure. It could be that whatever is causing Filezilla problems is doing the same in NOF. regards Lionel
    Well, we've put the paracetomol back in the cupboard. All is now sorted. After three days of panic...it's the wireless router! I remembered that a month ago BT had fixed my non-functioning Broadband. On a hunch I ran an ethernet cable from the router to my computer and - voila! When they remotely messed with the router they must have messed up the ftp capability. I have loaded two pages to the website and all is well. It's fine via Filezilla or NOF12. After all that! I might have guessed BT was behind it - and I worked for them for 31 years btw.

I want to thank everyone who responded but especially Rick who kept coming up with advice. I know it was something pretty basic in the end but he made me feel I wasn't totally on my own and you've no idea what a comfort that was. Thanks, Rick. You are a top man.

regards Lionel