Thread: News Component

Default News Component

I have created the three components on 3 separate pages according to the instructions.
    When I look at them in Preview mode there is a grey rectangle and moving the cursor over the rectangle it changes as though there is a link. When I publish either to Local Publish or to the server, all I see is html code on each page. My server is set to php

The instructions are quite comprehensive in http://wiki.netobjects.com/Adding_a_NOF_News_Component but relate to set up rather than how to go on and use it.

What am I doing wrong or not doing, please?

Your server may have PHP installed but it ain't working if you see code instead of a web page. Or the PHP version is higher than about 5.5 or 5.6. Netobjects can be set to ASP or PHP. Obviously it needs to be set to PHP. And any page with PHP code on it has to have the .php file extension in the file name. You need to talk to your web hosting or server company. They need to confirm PHP modules are installed in their web servers, they are enabled, and they are working.
    Last edited by rick6811; 03-02-2017 at 07:20 PM.

You'll need to check with your ISP regarding the PHP version and setup on your web server. It may be that the version they are running is no longer compatible with Netobjects components.

If you want to be able to test scripts on your local computer, check out WAMP, an all in one web server and PHP installation which will allow you to run Apache and PHP on your local computer.
    Last edited by franko; 03-02-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Thank you.
    The pages with the news components are all .php files. The server uses php 7.
    Interestingly, they advised me the other day to update to 7.0 (recommended) from 5.2 (End of life) . They do offer 5.6 which isn't shown as end of life so I'll change back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    You'll need to check with your ISP regarding the PHP version and setup on your web server. It may be that the version they are running is no longer compatible with Netobjects components.

If you want to be able to test scripts on your local computer, check out WAMP, an all in one web server and PHP installation which will allow you to run Apache and PHP on your local computer.
    Franko, thank you. See my reply to rick6811 (sorry, didn't reply to him with quote) about php version. I'll have a look at WAMP, too.

Further query

I was trying to test the facility with a mini web site on my "free" service that only supports html. Anyway, I've now loaded the pages as part of my main system on the main server using php 5.6. I was delighted that up came the log in screen and all I had to do was create a db folder, as requested, to set up some test messages.

A couple of things ....
    1. The date on the messages is showing as March, 04 2017 16:23:03 It's still March 3rd here in UK.
    2. Also, I browsed a picture but it did not appear in the full message. The jpg files are in /scripts/images and the image names are in the news.csv file.
    3. How do people use this facility in practice? Do I have to have 3 separate pages?

John
    Last edited by Oak Tree; 03-03-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Further query

I was trying to test the facility with a mini web site on my "free" service that only supports html. Anyway, I've now loaded the pages as part of my main system on the main server using php 5.6. I was delighted that up came the log in screen and all I had to do was create a db folder, as requested, to set up some test messages.

A couple of things ....
    1. The date on the messages is showing as March, 04 2017 16:23:03 It's still March 3rd here in UK.
    2. Also, I browsed a picture but it did not appear in the full message. The jpg files are in /scripts/images and the image names are in the news.csv file.
    3. How do people use this facility in practice? Do I have to have 3 separate pages?

John

I believe there are issues with PHP 7 as far as Fusion is concerned, which I imagine will be addressed in the next release, I'm guessing later this year (although I have no knowledge of the fact). See if your ISP will roll back to PHP 5.* for you. My server is still running PHP 5 as my ISP is extremely conservative regarding upgrades and only does so once they know for sure all outstanding issues have been resolved.

I assume you're on a virtual server. If you have your own server space, you can either install PHP 5 yourself or ask your ISP to install it for you. On a virtual server this may be problematic.

I believe there are issues with PHP 7 as far as Fusion is concerned, which I imagine will be addressed in the next release, I'm guessing later this year (although I have no knowledge of the fact). See if your ISP will roll back to PHP 5.* for you. My server is still running PHP 5 as my ISP is extremely conservative regarding upgrades and only does so once they know for sure all outstanding issues have been resolved.

I assume you're on a virtual server. If you have your own server space, you can either install PHP 5 yourself or ask your ISP to install it for you. On a virtual server this may be problematic.
    Franko, Many thanks, again.

Yes, I am on my real server using 5.6 and, as I said, it seems to work but I have a couple of other queries.
    1. The creation date on the messages is showing as March, 04 2017 16:23:03 but it was still March 3rd here in UK when I created them. I've just created another at 09:42:40 but it says March, 05 2017 but it's the 4th.
    2. Also, I tried to put a picture in a news item. I browsed a picture but it did not appear in either the news list or the full news. The jpg files are in /scripts/images on the server (not quite sure how they get there) and the image file names are in the news.csv file. I'm clearly missing something!
    3. Can I put an active link in a news item?
    3. How do people use this facility in practice? Do I have to have 3 separate pages - one for each of the elements? Do you know of any sites that use News?

regards

John