Thread: Star ratings to accompany testimonials?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Star ratings to accompany testimonials?

I have a client whom requested testimonials on his site - not an issue at all! NOF makes adding, acquiring and administration of testimonials very simple. However, my client now also wants his feedback/testimonials to include a "Star" rating (1 out of 5 stars, etc - something like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stars.PNG 
Views:	761 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	2614) similar to how you rate an app in Google play or the android store. Is this even possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJ
    Last edited by djduncandesigns; 03-20-2017 at 02:17 AM.

It can certainly be done, but requires a database and scripting language.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I used to write web apps with asp.net (visual studio program) and put the app into a frame. You would have to do something similar. There are code generators for databases like MySql or MSSql, one is called Sql Maestro. There are also a few others. These database code generators work similar to NOF which is a html generator. Unless you plan on doing this on a continuing basis, I would farm out the job to a real programmer and mark it up and make some money with out doing much work but getting the job done. Everybody wins!

Real databases can be avoided sometimes by using XML files as a database. This totally can work just like a real database and the XML files can be used to store info just like a database. The data stored in the XML files can be fetched and searched just like any real database without having to create a front end with a back end db.
    Last edited by rick6811; 03-19-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Thank you chuckJ & rick6811. Sounds like I may have to contact a freelancer for this.

I've done a lot of work like this for Fusion users. A lot of the "how", depends on what your hosting has available to you in the way of database/scripting.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I took a quick snapshot of what my hosting offers (hope the picture is ok to post here - new with the forum). Also not quite "Database" savvy, so ... I do appreciate any advice, directions to go with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-3.png 
Views:	476 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	2615

Quote Originally Posted by djduncandesigns View Post
    I have a client whom requested testimonials on his site - not an issue at all! NOF makes adding, acquiring and administration of testimonials very simple. However, my client now also wants his feedback/testimonials to include a "Star" rating (1 out of 5 stars, etc - something like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stars.PNG 
Views:	761 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	2614) similar to how you rate an app in Google play or the android store. Is this even possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJ
    Hi Duncan,

I can't believe how your client wants to complicate things, how much you try to help, and how all comments here beat around the bush with savant solutions ...

What if reality will show just a few testimonials with typos, bad grammar and poor ratings?

You can simplify things by inviting visitors to offer their opinions asking them to type the number of stars by themselves.

1 star *
    2 stars **
    3 stars ***
    4 stars ****
    5 stars *****

Remember: less is more
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.