Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star ratings to accompany testimonials?

Default Star ratings to accompany testimonials?

I have a client whom requested testimonials on his site - not an issue at all! NOF makes adding, acquiring and administration of testimonials very simple. However, my client now also wants his feedback/testimonials to include a "Star" rating (1 out of 5 stars, etc - something like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stars.PNG 
Views:	761 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	2614) similar to how you rate an app in Google play or the android store. Is this even possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJ
    Last edited by djduncandesigns; 03-20-2017 at 02:17 AM.

It can certainly be done, but requires a database and scripting language.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I used to write web apps with asp.net (visual studio program) and put the app into a frame. You would have to do something similar. There are code generators for databases like MySql or MSSql, one is called Sql Maestro. There are also a few others. These database code generators work similar to NOF which is a html generator. Unless you plan on doing this on a continuing basis, I would farm out the job to a real programmer and mark it up and make some money with out doing much work but getting the job done. Everybody wins!

Real databases can be avoided sometimes by using XML files as a database. This totally can work just like a real database and the XML files can be used to store info just like a database. The data stored in the XML files can be fetched and searched just like any real database without having to create a front end with a back end db.
    Last edited by rick6811; 03-19-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Thank you chuckJ & rick6811. Sounds like I may have to contact a freelancer for this.

I've done a lot of work like this for Fusion users. A lot of the "how", depends on what your hosting has available to you in the way of database/scripting.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I took a quick snapshot of what my hosting offers (hope the picture is ok to post here - new with the forum). Also not quite "Database" savvy, so ... I do appreciate any advice, directions to go with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-3.png 
Views:	476 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	2615

PHP and MySQL are there... which will work.

With the PHP, need to know the PHP version.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Tutorials and Forums

Why not use a recognised review site (such as Freeindex) which offers a 'star rating' widget to simply insert ?

Such reviews have the added benefit of being validated by the third party.

- and certainly a lot less work

Those external, linkable, widget services provided by 3rd parties can be a real disaster down the road when they are discontinued or changed functionally. Also, some are monthly billed services somebody has to pay for, every month, forever. No thanks, I would rather make the code and have a fully independent site free from dependence of a 3rd party service that I can't control.

Some NOF users, that could not get the form handler to work, went to a 3rd party service, and they are paying every month forever. Those "free" services quickly turn into a pay service later if the free service is "over used".

These are the same reasons I wouldn't use hosting resellers that are very low priced or free, supposedly unlimited, hosting when they really are just come ons for grief later. There is no free lunch or a caviar sandwich for the price of a hamburger.
    Last edited by rick6811; 03-20-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Check your control panel for additional products your host provides.

I offer 12 (twelve) poll/survey scripts to my customers, your host should also.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softaculious-polls.gif 
Views:	441 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	2617
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz