Thread: Linux

Default Linux

One of these days I am going to invest in a new laptop.
    As I hate Microsoft policies/intrusions I do not want to have WIN10 pre-installed.....even though I could uninstall/install WIn 7 or whatever.

Question is...if I uninstalled WIN10 and installed a (whatever) version of LINUX:
    a) would NOF 2015 run happily on that platform?
    b) do most windows programs eg image resizers/optimisers/organisers work on Linux?
    c) do malware / anti-virus / backup programs mostly work on Liniux the same as Windows?

I don't seem to find too many sites that acfually show what Linux LOOKS like.

Any advice welcome.

Some facts about Linux:

Linux is a different OS that has to have apps compiled to Linux compatible code to work. So apps must be coded to specifically be able to work on Linux. But there are some workarounds.

Wine is a Linux program that lets SOME windows apps run on Linux. I don’t know if NOF will run on Wine, never tried it. There are also the virtual Windows desktops but I don’t see how anybody gains anything by using them on top of Linux

Linux gui or desktops look very much like windows desktops now. But each Linux distro has different gui’s so you have to look. Linux Mint has desktops like Cinnamon, Mate, and KDE that look and work a lot like XP and Win 7. I use Mint KDE. You can try Linux by booting off a DVD and running it without actually installing it. You need an iso image that you can down load burned onto a DVD .

Linux (unfortunately) still at times requires the use of the “terminal” which is a lot like the windows Mdos window that runs Dos like commands. Windows, especially server, still uses a lot of command line commands but most users don’t know or see it.

The file structure of Linux is different than windows. Everything in Linux is text file based in directories. There are no dll’s. You can see and read everything in configuration files on Linux. Everything in Linux is a file, even disk drives, DVD players, network drives etc..

Don’t get rid of old computers. Put Linux on them, surf the internet and keep your windows computers off the internet. Linux runs very well on older hardware. Beware, win10 really needs a network connection to run so that it can be in constant contact with the Microsoft mother ship.

Linux and windows are very much alike but it doesn't look like it. If you pick a part the way windows structure works, it will look more like Unix/Linux the deeper you go.

When someone first sees Linux they get frustrated because it doesn't exactly work like windows. It takes some time to learn to use Linux. When you first saw windows on your first windows computer, you didn't learn windows in 5 minutes nor will you learn Linux in 5 minutes.

Linux has most of the utility programs available to it. Virus, firewalls, editors, even some website creation software will work directly on Linux. But understand, for every Linux program available, there are probably 100 windows apps available for windows. But there is still a lot now for Linux. You just don't have as much choice as you do for windows.

Linux mint has a very good forum site. So do other Linux distros.
    Last edited by rick6811; 03-22-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Http://webhq.us
    Managed Web Site Hosting
    Upload your site...You are done!

Go Mac. The latest macbook pros are very fast, powerful machines and because Macs run an OS derived from FreeBSD unix they are incredibly stable. I run Fusion in a virtual machine (VMWare Fusion [no significance in the name]) without any problems. Macs are set up out of the box with Boot Camp will facilitates the installation of Virtual Machines to run those windows programs that you just can't do without (like NoF) although I've found substitutes for just about every windoze program I ever had.

I think there's a VMWare version for Linux also.

Thanks for the very comprehensive replies. Looked at VMWare Fusion (standard version) and not too badly priced, as it would enable me to keep using windows programs...