Thread: Strange Scripts Transferring

Default Strange Scripts Transferring

Last week I was creating and publishing multiple new pages on one of my 2015 NOF sites. The first 8 pages went fine - but last Tuesday, I was watching the FTP transfer and all of sudden notice it was transferring a bunch of .js scripts and images I did not download, save or intend to publish - I aborted the transfer. Drilled down in assets, noticed these were not in my drop box - again, I did not create these or download them from anywhere. I kept trying and kept aborting. Tried my other 2 sites -did not see the problem there. What's a bunch? About 30 or more strange scripts and images. Drilling down, they show they were from Jan. 1, 2015 and in a Net Objects systems resource folder on my computer. My questions - what are these? where did they suddenly come from? Why, if I've never seen them transfer before - and I'm one of those people that watches everything that transfers during FTP - are they as of last week transferring? Yes, we run Anti-Malware and Premium AVG - do not see any virus on computer. Please help. Connie

Javascript uses .js files to perform different kinds of tasks. Netobjects uses javascript. Here is an example from Netobjects documentation:

Adding Pictures That Roll Over
    Table of Contents > Favicon.ico > Special:Search > Adding Pictures That Roll Over
    Adding Pictures That Roll Over

You can use the Picture Rollover component to create JavaScript rollovers for any image on your site. Because this component uses JavaScript, the colors of your images are not compromised....................................... ....

Netobjects creates mostly HTML code but also generates php, asp, js files when needed.
    Last edited by rick6811; 03-22-2017 at 09:19 PM.

It would be hard to evaluate completely without seeing your site. NOF uses a bunch of .js for different functions, including some menus, multi-layout-regions, image sliders, and many other things that are "dynamic" I.E. they move.

NOF will also use and/or generate images required for the site. Again, navigation bars and buttons, divider lines, invisible spacer images (clearpixel.gif), multi-layout-region tabs or headers. Also, for any images you have inserted but need to be resized by NOF, get re-generated and put into a folder usually called "autogen".
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thanks, Ray. I do know all that - but these were never seen before .js, eot., png, swf, svg and woff files transferring. Drilling down, they were showing up as coming from Jan. 1, 2015.
    And interestingly, when I published 'changed assets only', they did not transfer or show up in the source. Just very strange and it concerned me. No one seems to have an answer. But thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.

swf is, of course, a flash file and really shouldn't be involved unless you have a separate, specific flash app, for example, a configurator. There is absolutely no reason and ordinary web site should incorporate flash in any way. Flash has been updated a lot lately do to its inherent insecurity and your files may well have something to do with a flash app you have installed recently. There's virtually nothing you can do with flash that you can't do with CSS3/HTML5.

Oh, and javascript and java are completely different animals. Your java installation has nothing at all to do with running javascript in your browser. Netscape, who first introduced javascript named it that way to ride on the publicity Sun was getting with Java; it had another name when first introduced, from memory, LiveScript. Java is a compiled, object oriented programming language. Javascript is an interpreted scripting language, although that is slowly changing with the latest versions of some browsers performing Just-In-Time javascript compiling.
    Last edited by franko; 03-25-2017 at 08:59 PM.