Thread: NetObjects Fusion 12 - Microsoft Office 2016

Question NetObjects Fusion 12 - Microsoft Office 2016

Does NetObjects Fusion 12 work with Microsoft Office 2016?
    My company bought the 12th version, THEN upgraded my computer to Microsoft Office 2016. I'm having a lot of trouble inserting scanned forms (as a document), and I'm wondering if this is why. Thanks!

Don't ever insert Microsoft office files directly into Netobjects (or any other app that isn't specifically designed to receive them). Office documents contain all kinds of code bloat that will break your web page. Only ever insert unformatted text, either by washing the copy through a text editor (my preferred method; I can then edit in the text editor which is much faster than editing in NoF) or by using the Unformatted Text paste option. Other apps mostly aren't designed to accept Office files; in fact, I won't allow any micrososft application on my computers, preferring Open Office or one of the other open source office suites. And even then, I wash text through a text editor to get rid of any formatting junk before pasting into a web page, in any of the web apps I use.

You have the means to insert your word documents into NOF by simply opening your files in Office, then saving them as text files. Office gives a few different choices on how to save the document, formatted or unformatted, etc. By saving the doc as text, you will loose some formatting that is specific to a .doc file instead of a .txt file. That can't be helped. NOF formats it's own ways. You can experiment with the different ways Office allows you to save documents to see which one works best put into NOF.

You can save Office files as .htm or .html files. I have made probably a 1000 quick and dirty web pages using Office over the years when I needed a simple html page without wanting to open a web page app. You can also put pictures and tables into html files from Office files but that gets tricky. The tables can change format when saved as html which can ruin the whole intended design. Pictures can end up positioned differently too.

The bottom line is some formatting carries over to other kinds of files and some doesn't. You have to experiment.
    Last edited by rick6811; 04-04-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks for that info! That's very helpful.

What about a pdf file? Can I scan a page in, save it as a pdf, then bring it over? I've tried, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Or maybe it just can't be done.

I don't know any way to directly insert the contents from a pdf into a NOF page. The way I use pdf files is to put the pdf file into the root directory of the site folder, and call it by using "http://domain_name.com/name.pdf" as the target for a link. The web server will send the pdf file to the browser, and it sends the file to the pdf reader to display the file on the recipients computer.

If you have a pdf reader that has more capability than usual, you can convert a pdf to a jpg file and then call it as a picture in NOF. I tried this years ago but can't remember how well it worked or didn't.
    Last edited by rick6811; 04-04-2017 at 11:14 PM.