Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Change the Default Folder for Zipped Templates

Default How to Change the Default Folder for Zipped Templates

How to Change the Default Folder for Zipped Templates

Hello there,

Since I changed to an SSD system drive I've been keeping all of my user files for my personal and public profiles on the D drive. I use the Location tab to change the Location for these files in properties. I know that I can change the environment path when installing Windows but I don't really want to do that because I don't want all my system files that are in my personal profile stored off my system drive – separating my system files from my data files also means that I can recover system backups extremely quickly.

There are two programs that refuse to abide by these softly changes. Fusion & Pinnacle studio. Particularly when it comes to files and folders held in the Public profile.

My zipped templates default to:
    "C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\Templates"

I would really like to be able to change the default to:
    "D:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015\Templates"

I realise that part of the problem must be because the registration information for the program is kept in the:
    "C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2015"

Is there a way to get fusion to default to where it saves and where it expects to find zipped template files?

I use zipped templates all the time to reproduce complex pages and I only have to change a few variables. I've noticed that the program does not remember any alteration to where it saves templates and there is absolutely no setting in the options to designate a folder for the templates. Perhaps there is a registry hack?

If anybody has a workaround or a solution for this I would be very grateful.

Cheers for now
    dan

may I ask why you would want them on the D drive? Is the D drive faster than your SSD?

I keep all programs and documents on C drive SSD (Samsung 850 Pro)

the days where SSD deteriorate over time are gone

Hello Anton,

Thanks for replying it again :-)

I run a Samsung SSD but it's only 485 GB – the size of my User Folder on the D drive is 833 GB. Admittedly is only about 18 GB of fusion 15 templates applied – the lesson that really.

I don't like letting my SSD system drive get much over half full and one of the main reasons for separating the system files from my data files is the ease of backup and restore.

I keep an automatic hourly incremental backup of my system and every week or so I make an external proper clone of my system drive. Basically this means that I can do a complete system restore in a reasonable time without having to restore all of my data files.

My data files consist of stacks of word and PowerPoint along with a lot of my videos. I run a YouTube Channel – crosslifejoin.

Although technically retired these days and somewhat disabled I spend a lot of time adding inspirational and educational content across social media and my own website. Hard disk space and server space is always an ongoing battle :-). I just keep running out of money :-).

I know how on a clean install Windows 10 to enter into Audit Mode using a XML script file. The problem with this is that everything in the use of folders is moved to another drive including all the system files that are sometimes stored there. Basically it's a total change of environment that creates a new location.

I prefer to use the location tab and only change the location for the documents/music/downloads/pictures/videos et cetera. I do this both for my profile and the public profile but unfortunately there are a couple of programs that I've come across that will ignore this hard system link. fusion is one of them.

These days unless I'm working with something every day I tend to forget how to do things :-). I find it quicker to make a template of the page rather than try and sort out how I actually built the page. This is brought up in the last couple of days because I found a way to display YouTube playlist of my with astounding ease inside fusion. I don't want to have to rent any more server space so I'm in the process of offloading all of my large-size assets to be shown through external links. A lot of the videos on my site I already have on YouTube and I've discovered a cloud storage space called MAGA that allow 50 GB of free storage in a totally encrypted environment. I basically plan to link all of my assets externally if they are videos or large PDF files. Apparently at least 40% of the files on my server and not be accessed regularly. I got a really good deal on my server space but if I have to rent anymore the price will rise up to become the norm. When you retired you have to keep your monthly expenses down to an absolute minimum :-).

Anyway I was wondering if it was possible – it may not be. If you don't ask you won't find out :-).

Once again thanks for your reply
    Cheers for now
    dan

It is simple for the user sites to change the default location

But for templates, you may just need to click the browse button to select another drive

also, I remember when installing Nof, there is an option to select custom locations, I can't remember if this includes the template location
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anton-0291.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	2638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anton-0290.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	2639  

what you could try is copy the netobjects folder from public documents to another drive

then use regedit to edit the shared path

restart PC and see if it works

if not, change the shared path to what it was

Name:	Anton-0293.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	2640  

Thanks Anton,

I'll give that registry editor a go – the option in the Options is just for the user files that are stored under your user profile – there is no option to change the location of the public folders – I'll have to try the registry edit but if you simply move the public folders to a new place then the program won't register that it is licensed because the license file is in that public folder.

I'll give the registry edit a shot and see if it loads okay. Once again thanks very much for your replies.

Cheers for now
    dan

Anton,

It was a good idea but it didn't change the default for saving zipped templates. It must be registry setting – I've noticed that Fusion and Pinnacle studio share the same behaviour and have similar entries within the registry.

I suppose one way would be to change every reference to the public documents fusion folders from drive C to (in my case) drive D. I lost count of the number of references to this particular drive path so it would be quite a job.

I think that I will leave the defaults alone but actually move these zipped templates to a storage location. I think that the zipped templates are a brilliant idea.

May I ask you another question? – In Page view how do I embed with an I frame video link from using the menu. I can't remember what part of the menu that I use so I have to make a copy of the page and then click on the little blue tag to open up a box to change the code but there must be some drag-and-drop way of doing it from the menu – unfortunately I've forgotten :-).

I was stunned to see that if you embed a playlist from YouTube that you get an instant preview with the choice of bringing up thumbnails of all the videos in the playlist. I think this is absolutely brilliant.

Cheers for now
    Dan

are you talking about embedding videos from external sites such as YT or Vimeo? or are you hosting the clip yourself?

Name:	Anton-0296.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	2641  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	danw_24.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	2642

thst is not how I did it the link is not to an embedded iframe - mybe i'I’m missing something - I’m not very good at this

cheers Dan

you may want to do it by drawing a textbox to a desired 16:9 size like 640x360 and lock its height in the property panel

then click inside textbox so the cursor flashes and press Ctrl+T and paste the code

or if you want an iframe with Nof tools, choose inline frame which is part of the layout region dropdown

Name:	Anton-0297.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	2643  
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 05-10-2017 at 09:39 AM.