Thread: How to evaluate NetObjects Fusion?

Default How to evaluate NetObjects Fusion?

I was interesting to check whether NetObjects Fusion could be an alternative to Dreamweaver for editing my web pages. But I cannot find any evaluation verison of the paid product. On the page of the free product, there is a form to enter name and email address to get a key and a download link, but pressing the button has no effect at all - and I've tried three different browsers on two different machines.

Hi there,

Sometime in 1998-2000, NOF was compared to DreamWeaver and FrontPage.
    It was advertised that one can save more time with NOF than with the other two contenders because of fewer clicks required to produce a 10-page website.
    I use it since v4.

Feel free to download and try the free version at http://netobjects.com/html/free-webs...-software.html
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

As Erland said in his post, the form to try the free product doesn't work. Looking at the code, it's easy to see why. There is no action attached to the button.

Quote Originally Posted by Erland Sommarskog View Post
    I was interesting to check whether NetObjects Fusion could be an alternative to Dreamweaver for editing my web pages.
    I'll save you some time: NOF is not an editor. It is a layout program that generates code when you hit "PUBLISH". There is no way to take an existing page and edit it. (Unless it was created in NOF, and you still have your NOF project file.)

Notepad++ would be a better editor than NOF.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    As Erland said in his post, the form to try the free product doesn't work. Looking at the code, it's easy to see why. There is no action attached to the button.
    Hi there,

I went to http://netobjects.com/html/free-webs...-software.html, filled in the three fields and pressed the download button.
    Horror of horrors, it did not work.

A glitch, customer manipulation, bad customer service, total disinterest, abandoned website like a ghost town or what else???
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

The very same problem here:

http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...ms-not-working

which is a 1-week old post.

Hhmmm,

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    I'll save you some time: NOF is not an editor. It is a layout program that generates code when you hit "PUBLISH". There is no way to take an existing page and edit it. (Unless it was created in NOF, and you still have your NOF project file.)
    Thanks Ray. Then I know that NOF is for me. My web site is very much 1.0 and very much 1990s, as I focus on sharing my technical expertise about databases, not on layout. However, the text is peppered with tags (many added through a Perl-script), why editing the HTML in the general case is not really an option (but useful for fine-tuning). I guess I will have to stick with Dreamweaver.

Try Coffee Cup's html editor. Also their Responsive Web Designer is probably the leading code generator around today and you can still get at the html and css for fine tuning. Better still, their products are for both Mac and that other OS horror.