Thread: Problem with navigation bar in preview

Question Problem with navigation bar in preview

Hello,

I started working on a half-developed website recently and right from the start, the navigation doesn't show up in preview mode. The images I put in there as a test show up. If I preview the page in browser, it is there, but seem completely messed-up: writing is the same color as background, so it's impossible to read, and there are no fly-out menus as there should have been. The colleague who worked on it before and also created the styles and customized the navigation bar tells me that the problems started when he put the project and all its files on our network drive.

I'm more or less a beginner in NetObjects and can't fathom what happened. The styles look ok and design mode as well. I tried removing the navigation and putting it back, but didn't even expect it to help.

Any ideas? I'll be off reading the wiki :P, hope to hear from you nice guys soon!
    Last edited by evas; 07-03-2017 at 10:42 AM.

If you have a URL that would help.

Does the site use the Nav Bar component or image rollovers (which won't display in Preview). Actually, Preview is pretty useless; do a Local Publish and see how things are. It's the only way you can really tell what a site is like; if it's ok in Local Publish it'll be okay when published.

If you're using the Nav Bar component you can change the type colour easily enough in Style View; you can also change the images there.

Local publish with my computer takes well over an hour to be created, so I generally put it to work when I leave work and check the state in the morning. I'm not sure if this is a problem with Netobjects or it's just that my computer is relatively slow and it's a site with a lot of pages. I like the option to check layout for a single page.

I'm using Nav Bar component with custom structure and fly-outs. Right now, tle local publish is showing me invisible writing in the menu, quite regardless of what I see in design mode and the style I created. Fly-outs only show on mouse-over, and then they still have invisible writing. Perhaps any advice on that?

Edit: I played around the local preview a bit, checking different sites and links and then the Nav Bar just dissapeared. I have no idea what's going on
    Last edited by evas; 07-04-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Without seeing what you're seeing it's hard to help. Do you have a URL we can see the problem? Otherwise some screen grabs showing the problem and the settings in the properties box may help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meniji-scr.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	2665
    This is the local publish. It turns out a bit different every time I try, up to now it was just a blue ribbon, but this time it turned black and white a bit. There is part of fly-out visible. I didn't catch mouse-over text properly, it otherwise works (sometimes it's the only indication the fly-out menu exists).

Name:	scr-netobjects.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	2661
    This is the same page in NetObjects Design view with NavBar properties opened.

Name:	scr-navbar2.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	2662
    Style tab on NavBar properties.

Name:	scr-navbar3.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	2663
    Advanced properties window for navbar.

Name:	scr-style.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	2664
    Style view for one of the buttons.

I hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing from you

I can't really tell from the screen grabs but here's a couple of thoughts:

You have the orientation property for your secondary buttons set to vertical yet the buttons set to open to the left which means they'll cover the nav bar to the left of the selected button. Think you want to open them below.

Are you using Fixed html output (html 4.01 or html 5) or dynamic (html 4.01 with tables or html 5 dynamic? If dynamic, try Fixed and vice versa.

It would be helpful if you could publish this to a test directory on your server so we can access the actual site.