Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Awkward Question

Default Awkward Question

I have NOF 2015 - it is very creaky at best with Windows 10[64]. I like using the software, but it is really showing its age. Does anyone know of equivalent software that runs well on Windows 10? I will keep using NOF on an old machine for updating sites etc., but I need something for the updated machines.

There is no equivalent.

Learn your key buzzwords in what you want and search the forum on those. It's been hashed over more times than liberal democracy versus conservative capitalism.

I (and many others) use Fusion 15 (2015) on Windows 10 machines with no issues at all.

Most problems seem to be interactions with anti-virus or non-Microsoft firewalls.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thanks - I'll try with the AV off

Quote Originally Posted by lugton View Post
    Thanks - I'll try with the AV off
    Just set the AV to "allow" Fusion in/out permissions.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

How about http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com ?
    Will you care to try?

I'm still a great fan of NOF and I have posted elsewhere that I can quite happily built a smartphone version.
    However I am getting more and more people wanting desktop/iPad/smartphoen versions and I am very conscious
    that it could be storing up workload when future changes are made.

So....I am again evaluating alternatives.
    1) Template Toaster
    2) WYSIWYG
    3) Website X5

Initial stages but first impressions:
    1) Template Toaster £149 - horrible name(!) but quite easy to build from blank page if you don't want to use tempaltes. I downloaded the Beta version and there are a lot of bugs in it....a key one being that the UNDO button does not work everywhere...as removed (from previous versions) the inbuilt FTP function. BUT, it is far and away the most intuitive and easy to use, and I spent some time using online chat to resolve issues and report issues.
    2) WYSIWYG - $49.99 for most people's needs - a confusing opening page to start any project, but it DOES have a lot of features.
    Off-line Support seems unable to understand my issues.
    3) Website X5 - £59.99 for most people's needs. Not started.....downloaded trial version and could not proceed as I didn't have Activation key (!). Awaiting response.

The best product I have come across is DUDA but it;s pricing policy is expensive and so discarded. £295 for reseller per annum, then $117 PER WEBSITE.
    Plus it is all ONLINE based which would not suit me.

My gut feeling is that although the most expensive of the three, Template Toaster is the front runner in this as I am sure they will correct the Beta version bugs.
    I do hope they bring back the inbuilt FTP as I prefer it, and many people express disappointment that it was removed. I basically want to press one or two buttons to get it on teh server, rather than open Filezilla and manually copy across.
    --------------------------
    Later
    WYSIWYG
    Oh gosh......when I queried why the screen I was trying out did not stretch right across my laptop I had the following reply:
    "Fixed/absolute layouts
    By default layouts are fixed using absolute positions. This means that you can place objects anywhere you like, so you have complete control over the layout. The downside of this layout mode is that it will be harder to make the page responsive because the layout will only look perfect on the screen size it was designed for.
    And since there is no 'structure' in the layout (objects can be placed anywhere in random order), there is no way for the browser to automatically re-position and/or scale the content based on the view port.
    So to make sure the page content looks good on different viewports (screen sizes), you will have to implement breakpoints (different layout variations) of the same page.

NOT what I want to spend my time doing...

PS MAybe this thread should be moved to Responsive Websites?
    Last edited by gprit; 10-13-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update

I discarded wysiwyg web builder for the very reason it uses absolute positioning. I know that it can be kludged to create responsive web sites but there are better tools. I'm using Coffee Cup responsive apps (RSD, Foundation Framer, Bootstrap Builder and a few more). Foundation Framer is my choice because Foundation is a mobile first approach to coding. If you can afford it, though Responsive Site Designer is the best choice because it gives you a choice of frameworks - Foundation, Bootstrap and RSD's own framework. Ain't nothing you can't do with these apps as you have complete access to the html, css and javascript. Bit of a learning curve but well worth it.

You can also turn any site into a responsive site by adding some Bootsrap code. Freecodecamp.org has a good tutorial series on doing this. In fact, it has a whole web coding course that is completely free and I highly recommend it. But go on the site, register and do a search for bootstrap and the appropriate pages should come up.

Default What is NOF Alex?

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    I'm using Coffee Cup responsive apps (RSD, Foundation Framer, Bootstrap Builder and a few more). Foundation Framer is my choice because Foundation is a mobile first approach to coding. If you can afford it, though Responsive Site Designer is the best choice because it gives you a choice of frameworks - Foundation, Bootstrap and RSD's own framework. Ain't nothing you can't do with these apps as you have complete access to the html, css and javascript. Bit of a learning curve but well worth it.

You can also turn any site into a responsive site by adding some Bootsrap code. Freecodecamp.org has a good tutorial series on doing this. In fact, it has a whole web coding course that is completely free and I highly recommend it.
    Given what NOF is, this isn't what former or many new NOF users want. I understand there's a need for people to impress but didactics is not the guiding light that has sucked people into purchasing NOF. People come into NOF because of what is right on the home page, "Create beautiful websites quickly and easily".

Making recommendations to NOF users will have to satisfy that first. Maybe there's a need for an advanced users recommendation thread where they can all fall over each other with their pedantry.

Getting back to NOF's promises, something like Mobirise et al fits into responsive but more importantly "Create beautiful websites quickly and easily". (Newbs: be aware that there's a mind with advanced and so-called creative types against templates. Again, pendantry demands they tell you this but first you walk then you run. Impress your customers first then you can later begin to impress yourself and those others you think need to be impressed with your coding prowess.)
    https://css-tricks.com/should-you-use-a-template/

So Mobirise is to "Create beautiful websites quickly and easily" on your computer then publish online. (You are total management)
    If your looking to "Create beautiful websites quickly and easily" that is built online, a CMS as well for your customers to be involved with as well, this gets a bit more involved, but still have a NOF MIND, you may want to look at Wordpress with Visual Composer or Beaver Builder. http://chrislema.com/wordpress-page-builders/

KISS Principal: Keep it simple silly.
    Last edited by Beach Ape; 10-14-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Answering your point: there isn't anything like NetObjects Fusion. The problem is what to replace it with unless and until a new version comes out which meets the needs of users. And that, at the moment, is responsive design.

And frankly, any web developer that doesn't want to spend some time and effort learning the basic technologies that drive the web doesn't deserve to make a living out of it. And for those who just want to build there own web site, there are online apps like WIX that do the job for them far better than they could do it for themselves, given that business owners are generally too tied up running their business to learn web development at all.