Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pardon me if it sounds silly but ...

Default Pardon me if it sounds silly but ...

.... I need to ask a question.

It is obvious to me now that a desktop website doesn't show well on smart phones.

How about viewing a website specially designed for mobile devices: will it show bad on a desktop PC?

Samples, anyone?

Thanks in advance!
    John - I am born to tease, not to please.
    For NOF beginners: read everything here and practice on mock web sites first.
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

I think Franko's recommendation, Coffee Cup RSD, applies a mobile first approach (am still waiting to evaluate it myself).
    Anyway, as I have said elsewhere I have no problem in the short term to 'waste my time' on building two separate versions using NOF. It doesn't take that long.

I've just published a website for www.lookinggood-aberdare.co.uk - this is obviously the desktop version.
    The code automatically routes to the smartphone version BUT you can view the smartphone version on the desktop using: www.lookinggood-aberdare.co.uk/m.lookinggood

It has a different menu on the mobile version as well as a 'click to call' button that would be mostly pointless on the desktop version.
    The Reviews are also different because scraping from Facebook Reviews (not easy) I could not enlarge it to show correctly on the mobile version.

In most replacement software I've tried so far I would have had to alter things like font etc so am I any worse of building a NOF mobile version?
    Typically my clients don't change their sites too much apart from one of two boutiques.

I have moved to mobirise and my site looks ok in phone, tablet and desktop
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by gprit View Post
    I think Franko's recommendation, Coffee Cup RSD, applies a mobile first approach (am still waiting to evaluate it myself).
    Anyway, as I have said elsewhere I have no problem in the short term to 'waste my time' on building two separate versions using NOF. It doesn't take that long.

I've just published a website for www.lookinggood-aberdare.co.uk - this is obviously the desktop version.
    The code automatically routes to the smartphone version BUT you can view the smartphone version on the desktop using: www.lookinggood-aberdare.co.uk/m.lookinggood

It has a different menu on the mobile version as well as a 'click to call' button that would be mostly pointless on the desktop version.
    The Reviews are also different because scraping from Facebook Reviews (not easy) I could not enlarge it to show correctly on the mobile version.

In most replacement software I've tried so far I would have had to alter things like font etc so am I any worse of building a NOF mobile version?
    Typically my clients don't change their sites too much apart from one of two boutiques.
    Hello gprit,

Thank you for caring to reply.
    I do not think I shall become a victim of two websites / project syndrome ...
    While the world is getting crazier and crazier, I hope to preserve my taste and preferences.

Same websites with two versions and iPhones @ US1,000 ea. can only show (at least to me) that something is wrong across the globe and I refuse to be part of crowd madness.

I shall check your websites sitting at my desk at the PC with the smartphone in hand to see if big differences can be seen.

Bye,
    Before asking a question, search to see if it has not been asked and answered already.

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    Hello Anton,

YOU mobirised? It's hard to believe but ... I accept it.
    I hope Frank reads this and switches everything to simple and free Mobirise ... :-)

$0 cost output & solid $$$ input is the ideal ...

Thank you for your comment.

What is the catch with gratis Mobirise?

Quote Originally Posted by Since_v4 View Post
    What is the catch with gratis Mobirise?
    it is not free, only the base software is free

you need to buy addons such as the code editor, very important

other themes and gadgets available to purchase, all from within the software

the included v4 theme can be modified to kingdom come once you are familiar, you only design for desktop and it automatically does the rest for mobile phones and tablets

you can preview what the site looks like in each
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...se-preview.mp4

Here is a screenshot 100% identical situation.
    Look at URL, the image is on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	2702  

Here is a screenshot 100% identical situation.
    Look at URL, the image is on the right.

Here is the 2nd pic. Mobile on desktop shows up on the left of the screen.
    I cannot upload it.

The third pic, which I cannot upload, the desktop image on desktop PC is OK, in the center of the screen.

it is not free, only the base software is free

you need to buy addons such as the code editor, very important

other themes and gadgets available to purchase, all from within the software

the included v4 theme can be modified to kingdom come once you are familiar, you only design for desktop and it automatically does the rest for mobile phones and tablets

you can preview what the site looks like in each
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...se-preview.mp4
    Hi Anton,

For the first time in my computer life, 22 years, I cannot find the prices.

I guess I just have to stick to my NOF2013 and build five websites for my new five online businesses with it until the smoke clears.

PS: I am probably expected to download the software first and then I am being hit with ... prices. I shall not bother.
    Last edited by Since_v4; 10-18-2017 at 01:42 PM.