Thread: Adding a Checkout...or upgrading?

Default Adding a Checkout...or upgrading?

This is my website that needs some sort of Checkout (and Payment system).
    www.papermodelshop.com

I don't sell enough to justify the cost of one of those online stores that are everywhere.
    And their basic free stores only allow a few items...I've got about 300-400 hundred items.

I have been using NoF10 for years...
    I'm lazy to learn a new program, cheap, and not very good with anything other than WYSIWYG building.

Forget telling me how to deal with code or HTML.
    I get lost real easy.
    I don't even use the NoF website templates, I find them too confusing.
    I just build everything from scratch and use a lot of placed objects and images.

Anyway...what do I do?
    Is there a simple solution for adding a checkout to this store (the way it is now)?
    or other recommendation?

Should I upgrade to a newer version of NoF and why? (ie because a newer version comes with a simple to use checkout!?)
    being honest... I am so reluctant to learn another new software.

Since you're already using PayPal why not use their shopping cart? With 300-400 products I wouldn't even attempt to use the built-in ecommerce in NoF.

And one reason for upgrading to 2015 is that v10 uses embedded tables for layout and not <divs> doesn't publish html 5 which is the current standard. However, be aware that NoF is EOL, appearing to have been abandoned by the owners. There won't be any more upgrades and sooner or later the app will stop working as windows 10 is upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Since you're already using PayPal why not use their shopping cart? With 300-400 products I wouldn't even attempt to use the built-in ecommerce in NoF.
    Yes, thank you...I should take another look at the paypal checkout.
    I tried to use it years ago on a previous version of my store...and I had issues. (can't really remember what happened, but i was scared away)

And one reason for upgrading to 2015 is that v10 uses embedded tables for layout and not <divs> doesn't publish html 5 which is the current standard.
    Sorry, but I don't know how to use furniture on my website. I have installed no tables or chairs.
    I don't know what <divs> is.
    And html 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 is lost on me...you obviously didn't read the part where I said "Forget telling me how to deal with code or HTML."

However, be aware that NoF is EOL, appearing to have been abandoned by the owners.
    I know what SOL means...but Excrement out of Luck? haven't heard that one. lol
    Are you trying to tell me the NoF no longer offers any support (which i have never used anyway)?
    This forum has always helped me out in the past.

There won't be any more upgrades and sooner or later the app will stop working as windows 10 is upgraded.
    Not to be rude but...why do I care about Windows 10? Especially since I don't use Win 10.

Continuing along the same topic...
    so lets say I go buy NoF 15 (upgrade).

Do all my exsiting website files still work?
    Everything I have is built with v10...will they open or import okay into v15?

What issues will I experience or have to deal with?

or should I ask this question somewhere else since it is ever so slightly off the original topic?

You can save a template of your site in 10 and then create a new site in it with Fusion 2015.

I do online catalogs for myself and other web designers using the PHP programming language and a MySQL database. And use Mal's E-Commerce as the shopping cart. Which can link to PayPal to receive payments.

All in a site developed in Fusion.

Not something a non-programmer can easily pull off.

Your number of items is a bit much for the built-in e-comm tools in Fusion. So a custom solution or utilizing an off the shelf e-comm package are your options.

Btw: (EOL means End of Life - a presumption that Fusion will receive no more updates/upgrades).
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thanks guys...for the responses so far.
    I've actually gone and looked at the Paypal Cart.
    I am overhauling my site, adding buttons to a couple of test pages, and its not that bad at all.
    It'll take a bit of work to go through all the stock, but once I get rolling.

My only issue is I don't understand how to add the html for each button, to the page html.
    I don't understand exactly how to place, where to place,
    and how to get it positioned on the page where I want it!
    Right now its trial and error, and I am experimenting.
    The only code I understand is ...okay, I don't understand code. Can we talk?

To add a PayPal button to a page, place a text box where you want the button to appear. Size it so its the size of the button, locking the height in the text box properties. This will preserve WYSIWYG.

At the text insertion cursor, press Ctrl+t. Insert the button HTML code.

That's all there is to it.

The button will appear when you publish.
    Last edited by chuckj; 09-08-2018 at 01:15 AM.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    To add a PayPal button to a page, place a text box where you want the button to appear. Size it so its the size of the button, locking the height in the text box properties. This will preserve WYSIWYG.
    At the text insertion cursor, press Ctrl+t. Insert the button HTML code.
    That's all there is to it.
    The button will appear when you publish.
    Yes...thats easy enough...and it works, thank you.

I've done one page of my store ...seven items now have Add to Cart buttons.
    And it looks good...next, I am going to try a more busy/cramped page with many more items on it.

Only two issues that I have...

First
    ... is I don't know how to exactly size the Text Box to the Button Size.
    There is no indication of Button area within the html code.
    And because its not visible on the design page, I can't estimate the size from the page measures.
    Also, there is no indication of size with the Text Box and no way to set it by actual pixel.
    So I had to eyeball a shape similar to the area of the Button (that I see in Publish view).
    It seemed to work.

Second...I don't know if this is related to the text box size, or the Page layout (html output) which is currently set to "Dynamic Page Layout - all browsers"
    but depending on where the Text box is placed, it moves other things.
    I had the Cart Button sitting just above a much larger Rectangle (that has text within)
    and during Publish, the rectangle is moved 200-300 pixels south on the page.
    I solved the issue by moving the rectangle up, and placing the Add Cart Button below it.
    Its still moving the next items on the page down a bit, but there is more room below the rectangle on this page.
    Whats going to happen when I get to a page with more stuff on it?

Should I switch another html output layout?...I never understand what these settings do and when i should change them.
    I tried Fixed Layout, and that messed up the entire page by moving everything to the far right!
    Site Setting and Regular tables leave the page intact, but the spacing issue after each button is slightly worse.
    Dynamic Page gives the best result (on this page).
    Last edited by airdave; 09-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    The only code I understand is ...okay, I don't understand code. Can we talk?