Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Netobjects a dead platform?

Default Is Netobjects a dead platform?

I have been using NOF from 2008 for my sites. We upgrade when ever possible The last time we used it (about a year ago) it wonked out on us. We are using Enom as our host now. They say it is not supported. We need to totally rebuild our sites so I came to their (NOF) site but it looks completely stagnant. What's going on? Should I find a new solution?

Please, just take a little time to read other posts......

Quote Originally Posted by kustoms View Post
    I have been using NOF from 2008 for my sites. We upgrade when ever possible The last time we used it (about a year ago) it wonked out on us. We are using Enom as our host now. They say it is not supported. We need to totally rebuild our sites so I came to their (NOF) site but it looks completely stagnant. What's going on? Should I find a new solution?
    If NOF is not supported, what site are you on now? If you are using nof for 9 years, why quit now. NOF 2015 works very well. I have been using it for 2 years and I have not found any bugs yet. If you need small screen sites make them with nof at the resolution you need. You will end up with a better looking site than if you use responsive software that tries to be everything but falls short when making different screen resolutions. Keep in mind that all these new annoying sites with all the new high tech stuff isn't why users come to websites. It's content, content, content, content.........that matters. When there isn't any content a user likes, it matter zero what the site looks like, they are gone! Too many web designers forget that concept with their new superfly high tech pain in the ass sites that do more jumping at you than displaying. Keeping sites clean and simple but functionally easy to use is best. Just my take on website design.

And would you rather see a support site with lots and lots of users with problems when trying to use the software? Most users use the wiki for information. The wiki pages have visitor numbers like +30,000 hits. Does that tell you anything?
    Last edited by richs; 12-12-2017 at 04:26 PM.

To what end? I have a simple question that is not really answered with out digging hours in to a forum.

To what end? I have a simple question that is not really answered with out digging hours in to a forum.
    So what is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    So what is the question?
    Is Netobjects a dead platform? are they working on a new version? is any mass web hosting companies supporting its format? are they working on fixes to allow me to use it on sites like Enom?

Is Netobjects a dead platform? are they working on a new version? is any mass web hosting companies supporting its format? are they working on fixes to allow me to use it on sites like Enom?
    The most important parameter in web hosting these days is which versions of PHP do they support. Net Objects supports PHP 4.8 to around PHP 5.4. NOF will not work on PHP7 which a lot of web hosting companies have switched to and obsoleted millions of web sites which won't work at PHP 7. Some hosting companies will support almost all PHP versions from 4.2 to 7. Thus, almost any website will work with them.

This is Enoms PHP explanation which I can not make sense out of. They seem to say something and then contradict it on down. I have my Domains with Enom but I have my own servers so I don't need Enom or anybody else. Personally, I would stay away from Enom and use a company that supports all current use PHP versions and says so in a clear and understandable way.

Below is Enoms explanation of their PHP support and I really can't make any sense from it. Proceed at your own risk with these people.

Symptoms

When PHP 7.0 by OS vendor is selected in Domains > example.com > PHP Settings, it is 5.4 version applied in fact: 5.4 is displayed in domain's phpinfo

If any other php version is selected in PHP Settings menu, it is correctly applied and displayed

PHP handlers list is as follows:

# /usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --list
    id: display name: full version: version: type: cgi-bin: php-cli: php.ini:
    cgi 7.0.20 by OS vendor 5.4.45 5.4 cgi /usr/bin/php-cgi /usr/bin/php /etc/php.ini
    fastcgi 7.0.20 by OS vendor 5.4.45 5.4 fastcgi /usr/bin/php-cgi /usr/bin/php /etc/php.ini

System php is 7.0 version:

# php -v
    PHP 7.0.25

But php is located in non-default directory:

# which php
    /usr/local/bin/php
    # /usr/local/bin/php -v
    PHP 7.0.25

PHP default is 5.4 version:

# /usr/bin/php-cgi -v
    PHP 5.4.45
    # /usr/bin/php -v
    PHP 5.4.45

Plesk server components in Tools & Settings > Server Components do not list PHP 7.0.25, only 5.4.45
    Cause

system PHP is still 5.4 but it's Display name was changed to 7.0. The location for php command was customized. Plesk does not list custom location PHP.
    Resolution

To revert the Display Name for PHP 5.4, execute:

# plesk bin php_handler --update -displayname "5.4.45 by OS vendor" -id cgi
    # plesk bin php_handler --update -displayname "5.4.45 by OS vendor" -id fastcgi
    # plesk bin php_handler --update -displayname "5.4.45 by OS vendor" -id fpm
    # plesk bin php_handler --update -displayname "5.4.45 by OS vendor" -id module

Upgrade PHP to 7.0 if required according to any OS-vendor instructions. For example, the following article may be used:

How to upgrade OS vendor PHP on CentOS 7?

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+

Was this article helpful?
    Last edited by richs; 12-12-2017 at 08:58 PM.

a Nof website is so plain, it works on any server in the world, unless you include php as mentioned and the host only supports newer php

by default, Nof does not include any php

and I doubt you will see any new version of Nof

Sounds like you need to find a new host.

When searching look for one that offers cloudLinux hosting that offers PHP selection.

If you want to stick with your current host, you can always open notepad and edit your html to your heart's content.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks, Unfortunately I have 64 URLs with Enom. My IT guy set us up there years ago. I am in a situation that requires me to deal with this my self as we moved to a new state. I am hoping to be able to continue using NOF in the future. What is the status of NOF? Are they still around and creating for the program?