Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with 2015

Default Problems with 2015

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Apologies if this should be posted elsewhere (mods, please feel free to repatriate)

Let me start by saying that I'm a big NOF fan, and have been for around 10 years.

I upgraded from V12 to 2015 as soon as the upgrade became available and everything was good for the first year or so. At he back end of 2017 I tried to use 2015 (same PC running W10) and it wouldn't load. Tried from the Start menu, updated it, uninstalled it and finally reinstalled it.

That worked. For a week. Then the same story as above.

I've pinged NOF technical for help twice now. Both times I've had a ticket number with an automated reply. 1st time they said NOF 2015 is no longer supported and suggested that I come here (which I'd done that to be honest) and the 2nd time I got the automated reply and a ticket number, but no one ever came back to me - I suspect that's due to my email being rather direct, but still, it wasn't rude or abusive, so it's highly unprofessional of them not to respond to a legitimate request for help.

I'm really unimpressed with the total lack of support from a company I paid good money to, but I'm now kind of hoping that someone here may be able point out something obvious that I've missed, or be able to suggest a fix in the absence of NOF's technical team being willing to help.

I've read several times that W10 updates can sometimes be a problem, but surely this is something that would have been ironed out with updates by now, wouldn't it? Further, it's not practical to keep uninstalling / reinstalling software, so the whole platform becomes nothing more than an unusable rip-off, no?

I'll now stop moaning! Anything positive from the community here that will allow me to use the software I paid for would be 100% gratefully received.

Thanks in advance guys :-)

Andy

which antivirus and or anti malware program are you using? are all Nof folders excluded from such scanners? some scanners with recent updates block Nof, especially Bitdefender

also, set the Nof desktop icon to run as administrator

empty the hidden Temp daily (appdata/local)

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    ....daily?

I've read several times that W10 updates can sometimes be a problem, but surely this is something that would have been ironed out with updates by now, wouldn't it?
    There was only one update to 2015 and that was shortly after it was released. Don't expect any further updates. They haven't come and it's highly unlikely they will. What you have now is what you'll have to use, at least until win 10 breaks it for good.

Quote Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
    which antivirus and or anti malware program are you using? are all Nof folders excluded from such scanners? some scanners with recent updates block Nof, especially Bitdefender

also, set the Nof desktop icon to run as administrator

Thanks for the advice Anton (and Franko) - much appreciated.

I use AVG on my system, which has been pretty reliable as far as I can tell - no major crashes or nasty stuff for a few years.

McAfee keeps popping up telling me to give them some money for renewal. Not sure if that may affect it?

I've followed your advice; cleared temp files and granted admin status, but still nothing doing I'm afraid. The prog is doing something in the background because its showing up in Task Manager. Even if it's cleared there though, it still wont open up.

I'll try uninstalling again tomorrow, then will grant Admin again when it's freshly re-loaded. Hope that may fix things.

One (sadly rhetorical) question while I tear my hair out; Is there a newer version of NOF than 2015 available for people to buy? If not, I'm honestly perplexed as to why there is no discernible back up for this software. I mean, if it's the latest version - the flagship model, so to speak, how is it in anyones interests not to offer backup in cases such as this?

Honestly, they're happy for people like me (2015 is the fourth version I've paid good money for) to fumble around on forums, relying upon the goodwill of others to help fix bugs that they should address themselves? Really?

No, REALLY???

Time to stop moaning :-)

Thank you once again guys. I'm really hoping to sort this out with your assistance :-)

Best

Andy

The prog is doing something in the background because its showing up in Task Manage
    This is NOT an issue with NOF, more the operating system and anti-virus. First of all if you are happy with AVG then I would uninstall McAfee, which is one of the many things bundled with WIN10 (one of the reasons I will not use it). I have had the above issue before (albeit in the days when I used BitDefender).

1) uninstall AVG
    2) uninstall NOF
    3) re-install NOF
    4) re-install AVG

I think you will now find NOF runs under Processes and not in background.

I would un

slightly offtopic: do you guys still run virus-scanners at all? new consensus seems to be, Windows Defender is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gprit View Post
    This is NOT an issue with NOF, more the operating system and anti-virus. First of all if you are happy with AVG then I would uninstall McAfee, which is one of the many things bundled with WIN10 (one of the reasons I will not use it). I have had the above issue before (albeit in the days when I used BitDefender).

1) uninstall AVG
    2) uninstall NOF
    3) re-install NOF
    4) re-install AVG

I think you will now find NOF runs under Processes and not in background.

I would un
    Thanks for your help on that gp.

Just done as instructed. 2015 now up and running from the screen icon - YAY :-) Hopefully it will stay steady for me, but I'll be sure to let you know if it falls over again. Fingers crossed!

Quick point while I'm here; Would anyone know if there are any decent site template resources around worth looking at? I paid for and downloaded some a few years back that were a lot better graphically than the standard ones but they went west with my old HD unfortunately. I'm not 100% enamoured with the ones on the NOF website to be honest, so any links from you guys who know your way around would be welcome if you have time.

Thank you again to everyone. Your help has really been appreciated. Will definitely stay in touch on this forum :-)

Best

Andy

I uploaded a set of templates a while ago for someone else - they're still online so check them out and see if any are useful for you. Here's the old forum thread with download link
    Forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trimdoner View Post
    I uploaded a set of templates a while ago for someone else - they're still online so check them out and see if any are useful for you. Here's the old forum thread with download link
    Forum thread
    Thank you Ken :-)