Thread: Questions on updating to NOF 15 from NOF 12

Default Questions on updating to NOF 15 from NOF 12

I read the update doc but want to make sure I understand the plan. Please put answers in line with my questions.

1) When I export the template from NOF 12, I selected destination /Templates/Autosites. The .zip file ended up in C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/Netobjects Fusion 12.0/Templates/Autosites. However when I run NOF 12 on my computer (Windows 10), the site data is stored in C:/users/<USERNAME>/Documents/Netobjects 12.0/UserSites/<SITENAME>/sitename.nod.nod>. Is this arrangement correct?

2) When I get the NOF 15 update and install it, will it co-exist with the NOF 12 system that is in the C:/Program Files(x86) directory?

3) The Install instruction say I create a new site with NOF 15 by importing my saved zip template. Di In just reference the path in (1) above. The reason I ask is the instructions say the zip MUST come from the correct directory ("If these templates are not available in this folder, you cannot create a new site or import a site.")

4) Am I correct in assuming that I can fall back to NOF 12 as usual in case there is an issue with NOF 15. That is, does the NOF 15 installation leave the NOF 12 system, and my NOF 12 site data, unaltered?

Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    Before you do anything, you need to backup your nof 12 sites folder to a folder that Net Objects won't look into like "backup nof 12". This folder can be put anywhere in the my documents folder. Just copy and paste. After 30 years of the PC in use, I don't know why it is still required to tell people this in case they don't do it and mess up their original work files. If you have the original nof 12 files backed up, there is no reason you can't go back to using nof 12 and all the original files.

Follow the instruction in the WIKI. If the folders containing the templates can't be found by nof 2015 for whatever reason, then move them to where nof 2015 can find them. You seem to be trying to find a flaw in the instructions. The conversion process is so simple, I have never heard any complaints from those who followed the wiki.
    I asked very specific questions. please reply to my questions individually.

1) When I export the template from NOF 12, I selected destination /Templates/Autosites. The .zip file ended up in C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/Netobjects Fusion 12.0/Templates/Autosites. However when I run NOF 12 on my computer (Windows 10), the site data is stored in C:/users/<USERNAME>/Documents/Netobjects 12.0/UserSites/<SITENAME>/sitename.nod.nod>. Is this arrangement correct?
    >>>>> It matters not a bit where the template files get stored. In fact I never use the default libraries. I prefer to save in my own partition under NOF_Zipped backups.

2) When I get the NOF 15 update and install it, will it co-exist with the NOF 12 system that is in the C:/Program Files(x86) directory?
    >>>> They will happily sit side by side. I have NOF10 and NOF2015 side by side in my system.

3) The Install instruction say I create a new site with NOF 15 by importing my saved zip template. Di In just reference the path in (1) above. The reason I ask is the instructions say the zip MUST come from the correct directory ("If these templates are not available in this folder, you cannot create a new site or import a site.")
    >>>> You can create a new site from a Template NO MATTER where that template is stored.

4) Am I correct in assuming that I can fall back to NOF 12 as usual in case there is an issue with NOF 15. That is, does the NOF 15 installation leave the NOF 12 system, and my NOF 12 site data, unaltered?
    >>>> Yes. But once a .nod file has been updated in NOF2015 you cannot then use that file back in NOF12. You would have to go back to the saved NOF12 template again.

gprit, thanks for the detailed answers. Another few questions:
    1) To test the validity of my exported template file, can I create a NEW NOF 12 site from this template file, but with a different name, on the same machine where the existing NOF 12 site resides?
    2) If I need to recreate my NOF 12 site for some reason do I use the most recent .nod file or the most recent template zip file?
    3) I see many .nod files in directory ...<User Sites/<MYSITE>/recovery goind back several years. Can I safely delete most of thes keeping on the most recent 2 or 3?
    Last edited by gmeyers; 03-19-2018 at 02:13 PM.

gprit, thanks for the detailed answers. Another few questions:
    1) To test the validity of my exported template file, can I create a NEW NOF 12 site from this template file, but with a different name, on the same machine where the existing NOF 12 site resides?
    >>>> Yes But why not create a new NOF 2015 site to test the validity?
    2) If I need to recreate my NOF 12 site for some reason do I use the most recent .nod file or the most recent template zip file?
    >>>> If the template was created by NOF12 use that. If the template was created using NOF2015 you cannot then use NOF12.
    >>>> ditto .nod file. In addition if you recreated from .nod file you would see that your images were not showng and you would need to re-insert them.

gprit,

I haven't downloaded NOF 15 yet, that's why I want to test the NOF 12 template file on the NOF 12 system.
    Also, I added a question (3) after the fact. Can you answer that one?

Thanks.

3) I see many .nod files in directory ...<User Sites/<MYSITE>/recovery goind back several years. Can I safely delete most of thes keeping on the most recent 2 or 3?
    >>>> Yes

gprit, I home you can answer since nobody has responded to my recent post. I want to restore my site from a recent file in directory .../Recovery. What is the process in doing that?

This is gprit...with anew name.....What recent post?!! last was 2 years ago!!!

You cannot just restore from recent recovery or NOD file - they will not show all the assets (images).
    The only way to restore a site is from a previously exported template. After each logical end of work unit you should export as a .zip template as a backup....