Thread: Master Border Problems

Default Master Border Problems

Can anybody help me with this problem? I have a website with a large number of pages. See this example: http://www.greatenglishchurches.co.u...wittenham.html
    Yesterday I uploaded a new page : http://www.greatenglishchurches.co.u...anborough.html
    The page I uploaded yesterday has shifted the text and pictures to the right so they overlap the edge of the white space. This seems to be because the turquoise coloured list in the l/h side of the masterborder has been widened (although the coloured one above it has not) and the border with it. In Edit view the page looks like all of the others. In Preview it looks like all the others. I didn't do anything to induce this change and I can't see any way of correcting it. When I updated another page it seems to have inherited the problem so I'm guessing something has been changed somewhere - but I can't see where. I don't mess with CSS (wouldn't know how) or with Masterborders because I don't understand them.
    Can anybody suggest what's happened here and how I correct it please?

My guess is that it's a MasterBorder problem. Does this page have the same MB as the first (OK) page? Also you have a 25px clearpixel attribute at the beginning of this table. This is probably the cause of the shift and is probably caused by the MB problem. What I don't get at the moment is why it only affects this and subsequent pages if they share a common MB with the pages that are ok. You need to make sure that the MB slider is in the right place consistent with the OK pages. If necessary delete the page and recreate it using the same MB as the OK pages. And if you don't understand MasterBorders, RTFM because they're essential to working with NoF.

PS BTW interesting site which I will definitely reference when next I visit the UK.

PPS I would recommend upgrading the site to NoF 2015. The site uses embedded tables which are way behind current standards and which you can expect modern browsers to have trouble rendering. 2015 creates HTML 5 pages which use <div>s for layout rather than embedded tables and is much more consistent with current standards.
    Last edited by franko; 01-19-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    My guess is that it's a MasterBorder problem. Does this page have the same MB as the first (OK) page? Also you have a 25px clearpixel attribute at the beginning of this table. This is probably the cause of the shift and is probably caused by the MB problem. What I don't get at the moment is why it only affects this and subsequent pages if they share a common MB with the pages that are ok. You need to make sure that the MB slider is in the right place consistent with the OK pages. If necessary delete the page and recreate it using the same MB as the OK pages. And if you don't understand MasterBorders, RTFM because they're essential to working with NoF.

PS BTW interesting site which I will definitely reference when next I visit the UK.

PPS I would recommend upgrading the site to NOF 2015. The site uses embedded tables which are way behind current standards and which you can expect modern browsers to have trouble rendering. 2015 creates HTML 5 pages which use <div>s for layout rather than embedded tables and is much more consistent with current standards.
    Thanks as always, Franko. I knew you would reply as you always do! It was an odd one, and perversely it was good to know it wasn't something obvious. By messing about with various backup files (how many flavours are there?) I was able to get away with simply completely rebuilding the last file. It all looks fine now so it was obviously something I'd inadvertantly done with the MB. Normally I disable change to the MB but I obviously dropped off this time. I take your point about NOF15. I'm very nervous about conversion, though. In everyday use NOF is great but outside of that I find it ridiculously complex and I think it has a mind of its own! I just don't think an upgrade will be straightforward because...well... nothing ever is and the User Manual's talk in Reverse Polish IMO. Oh for Idiots Guide to NOF! Anyway, I'm glad you like my content. I'm always thrilled when people use it to plan their holidays.

Get in the habit of exporting a template whenever you do some upgrades to the site. Backups don't really work, but an exported template includes all the assets as well as the nod file in one zip file.

I'd still recommend moving to 2015. HTML 4.01 which v12 outputs is out of date and you should move it to html 5 which 2015 outputs. Probably the best way would be to simply rebuild the site in 2015 while your production site is still in v12. That way you can keep your site live while slowly moving it to a more modern protocol. Otherwise export a template and then create a new site from that template in 2015. You still have your old site untouched and you can then go through the new 2015 site page by correcting any glitches that have occured in the transfer. There's not that many pages so you'd be surprised how quickly you might get it done.

I studied church history while doing theology (I am an Anglican priest) and have an interest in all churches, but particularly old ones. The church I was baptised in was St Peter and St Paul, Farningham which was built in about 1240. You don't have it on your site (probably because it's quite a distance from where you live) but it's an interesting benefice including Eynesford and Lullingham, both of which are pretty old churches.

If I can be of any help any time let me know. Cheers ... frank

Quote Originally Posted by brumman47 View Post
    Thanks as always, Franko. I knew you would reply as you always do! It was an odd one, and perversely it was good to know it wasn't something obvious. By messing about with various backup files (how many flavours are there?) I was able to get away with simply completely rebuilding the last file. It all looks fine now so it was obviously something I'd inadvertantly done with the MB. Normally I disable change to the MB but I obviously dropped off this time. I take your point about NOF15. I'm very nervous about conversion, though. In everyday use NOF is great but outside of that I find it ridiculously complex and I think it has a mind of its own! I just don't think an upgrade will be straightforward because...well... nothing ever is and the User Manual's talk in Reverse Polish IMO. Oh for Idiots Guide to NOF! Anyway, I'm glad you like my content. I'm always thrilled when people use it to plan their holidays.
    Brumman How was the upgrade? Can you share your story? Any mistakes? I am really worried about conversion too, maybe I can avoid some common mistakes/problems.