Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem pasting from clipboard into a text box

Default Problem pasting from clipboard into a text box

Hi. I'm new to the forum but not NOF.

I'm running NOF15 on Win 7 64 bit OS and I'm trying to paste from the clipboard into a new text box in a new clean layout on a new clean page in a site with about 500 pages.

The text is clear of control characters etc but when I paste it into the text box it doesn't wrap. Instead it expands the text box and the layout sideways to accommodate.

Initially I tried this with a large block of text and the text box width stretched to about 5000. Tried it with a single line of text and I get the same effect but with reduced width.

Text is standard ASCI, font : Arial, size : 14 pt, Left aligned.

Can't seem to find anything relevant in the forum so if anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it because I'm rapidly running out of hair :-(

Regards Stefan
    Last edited by StefanT; 10-08-2018 at 10:51 AM.

paste special, unformatted text ensures that all formatting is stripped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AVP-0556.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	2813  

Default Worked around but cause unidentified.

Fixed the problem but not the cause. To demonstrate the problem to a colleague I created another text box below the first one and pasted the same text into that. Rather to my (pleasant) surprise it worked perfectly as do several others added below. Deleted the original text box and everything was still OK. Haven't got the time at the mo to investigate further.

This problem occurred as a result of NOF crashing for no apparent reason. I had done two days of detailed work on new web pages with regular saves but when I tried to upload changes to one of the pages again, NOF just vanished. When I brought it back up all the work I had done had disappeared and when I checked the backup file there was nothing there either. Some of the initial changes I had made when I first fired up NOF to begin this work were present, but about 90% had gone - if it had ever been saved at all !

All the images I had used were pre-existing ones from the assets folder but there was a lot of text to remember and rewrite. Luckily, the website had the code from the last successful update so I saved the html from each page and proceeded to extract the text using TextPad. Quite a tedious problem tracking down the blocks of text embedded amongst the presentation html, but I had the stuff visible on the website to guide me and after about 4 hours I had recovered the original text and had positioned it on the pages in approximately the right locations. Will start work on the images tomorrow but no big deal now since I've got the original layout on the website to follow. :^)

Hope this is of some help to anyone else who has lost their NOF data. You could probably do this kind of recovery for a full site, unless it's large and you've got years to spare.

I've no idea why NOF , after apparently performing saves for many hours, should bomb out without having actually done the saves. OK there was other stuff running at the time but there was only about 75% physical memory being used and there's nearly 300 G available on a good clean disk. Seems as though NOF must have somehow held the changes in virtual memory but for some unknown reason never wrote them to disk. Weird or what.

Have got another tricky one concerning duplicate layouts appearing on a MasterBorder but I'll save that one for tomorrow.

my regards

Stefan

Yep, did that of course, just raw text & special paste. See my latest update for details of work around.

Sorry Anton, forget to add your name to my reply so just for thread continuity here it is again

"Yep, did that of course, just raw text & special paste. See my latest update for details of work around."

Just a word of advice: whenever you complete a round of changes that are fairly extensive, always export a template of the site and store it elsewhere. That way you can always restore the latest version of the site from the template.

Default Been there tried that, still waiting for process to terminate

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Just a word of advice: whenever you complete a round of changes that are fairly extensive, always export a template of the site and store it elsewhere. That way you can always restore the latest version of the site from the template.
    Hi Franco

Always used to do that before I upgraded to NOF 15. Now it runs like a pig in a tar pit. Had the same problem on my Win 7 64 bit and thought things would improve when I invested in a fast Win 10 64 bit machine with 8 M ram but it was just the same. On the plus side I could run Resource Monitor and see it sat there taking 12 % CPU whilst doing absolutely zilch.

It does eventually complete, but in the meantime I've been down the pub, had 5 or 6 pints, got a curry on the way back and had to climb in the window cos I forgot my key - only to find that it was still doing its export ;^)

That was on a 500 page site with lots of text and images so I saved a test version chopped it down to about 10 pages and it was hardly any better. OK, I had no time for the curry but what the hell !!

I've still got Nof 8 and Nof 13 installed, together with their versions of the site so I might try and see how they run on the 64 bit machines. Might even fire up a retired Vista laptop and play about on there.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Hi Franco, sorry about the heavy title, pressed the wrong reply button and knew not what I was doing ;^)

Anyway, I decided to do a quick test using the Win 10 Resource Monitor to see if I could spot anything. Created a blank 1 page file and exported it. Only took a couple of seconds and I blinked so I missed the RM display, but no problem. I then imported a template from the chopped site I had done a few days ago.

This site consisted of 9 images with text labels and a page top link in the main layout and a standard site admin block layout below the separator. Complete transformation now. The NOF process sat with 12 % CPU doing nothing for about 2 minutes, then there was a brief disk activity doing some OS preliminaries and then it sat there with 12 % CPU doing nothing again. After about 8 minutes there was a burst of disk IO for several minutes and then it was done.

As far as I could see, the disk IO involved read and write activity of - amongst a bit of other stuff - the image files themselves. When it happened it was pretty quick but the long gap between the NOF process making the request and the OS acting on it is something I've never come across before. I'm an ex Unix systems programmer and normally would have tracked it down in no time, but Lord MSoft doesn't like the thought of people peeping through the window.

No wonder the big site was stalled, it's got hundreds of images to deal with. What I might do is try and time a single image and the multiply it by the total number so when I do a template save I will know whether I can make a night of it down at the pub.

my regards Stefan

You might also think about breaking the big site into a number of smaller site using absolute rather than relative URLs. It would be transparent to the user and allow you to manage each site more quickly and easily.

Hi Franco. Do you mean placing links and/or redirection code in the master site?

I'm not sure I could do that because I would need to purchase a number of separate sites from my web host provider. The way things work is that the URL points to the "index.html" in the root folder which in turn points to the home page in a sub-folder called "html". All the structure and contents are set up and uploaded by NOF to the root folder which can only hold one specific site.

I do have other special "sites" under the root but these contain hand-built content and are accessed by a direct url using special download software. When I set all this up I assumed that NOF would not be able to access these sub-folders but now you've set me thinking. At the moment, the root folder is called "/htdocs" and that's where the web host says to upload to but I'm wondering whether I can set NOF to upload to "/htdocs/my-folder" which I've set up beforehand.
    Last edited by StefanT; 10-18-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: changed from "able" to "not able"