Thread: PHP with 1and1.com and captcha in NOF

Default PHP with 1and1.com and captcha in NOF

Hi All,

We host with 1and1.com I have had a form on our site for about 10 years and it worked perfectly. Now, since 1and1 upgraded their PHP to 7.2, the Captcha on the form doesn't appear on the webpage.

Would anyone have a suggestion?

We could stay with our current PHP (ver. 5.6) and the captcha and form work fine. But that costs $8.00 per month extra. Just wondering why the form/captcha doesn't work in PHP version 7.2.

Thanks,
    Tom

For whatever it's worth, you could ask the 1&1 management how they can charge for php when it's licensed for free use? And you could go to the php site and ask them how 1&1 can charge for use of their software! Who knows, you may open a big can of worms.

The simplest solution is to go to another hosting company that can provide any version of php site by site as required instead of only one global version for free.
    Last edited by rick6811; 02-19-2019 at 01:54 AM.

The database connection functions in the PHP code Fusion generates were deprecated in PHP 5.x.x and are not supported in PHP 7.x.

When I have time, I'm going to update the functions in the Fusion PHP and make the updated code available on my web site. Along with instructions on how to use it within Fusion.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

"For whatever it's worth, you could ask the 1&1 management how they can charge for php when it's licensed for free use?"
    1&1 don't charge for PHP. I think Tom has misunderstood - he can stick with his old version of PHP, as 1&1 allows the automatic use of several versions, allowing customers to run different versions for different hosted websites if needed.
    What they do charge for is support for the older versions, which would be exposed to security problems as time passed.
    As far as I understand their contract, if 5.6 works ok with a Fusion site, Tom could just leave that version running without problems.
    I've just checked, and for anyone wanting to continue with old versions, 1&1 charge for continuing support, i.e. they take over responsibilty for security updates etc.
    Last edited by Trimdoner; 02-19-2019 at 10:33 AM.

"I've just checked, and for anyone wanting to continue with old versions, 1&1 charge for continuing support, i.e. they take over responsibilty for security updates etc. "

I don't believe that 1&1 is taking any version of PHP, changing it's source code, recompiling, and putting it back on their servers for one second. Charging for PHP "support" is just an excuse to get more money, nothing else. They are doing nothing. If someone thinks they are, then explain exactly what they are doing for extra money every month that they are charging for. Be very specific.
    Last edited by rick6811; 02-19-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

ChuckJ, that would be real kind of you to update the PHP functions in NOF. Please post it here when/if you are able to do it.

I just spoke with 1and1. Yes, they charge you if you don't upgrade to ver.7.2. I didn't know it, but our hosting package includes any "extended support" fees, so I actually don't have to pay extra. I suppose I'm paying extra for my hosting package. But at least my form works.

thanks a lot everyone,
    NOF may be dead, but this forum still is good for a lot of us users.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    I don't believe that 1&1 is taking any version of PHP, changing it's source code, recompiling, and putting it back on their servers for one second. Charging for PHP "support" is just an excuse to get more money, nothing else. They are doing nothing. If someone thinks they are, then explain exactly what they are doing for extra money every month that they are charging for. Be very specific.
    Quote from 1&1 Support pages; (for information only, I'm not interested in arguing for or against any particular web host )

"The paid PHP Extended Support is provided instead of a hard version shutdown you are unaware of or are not yet fully prepared. Your PHP projects and scripts will continue to be protected from attackers until you decide to switch to a recent version of PHP."

"Why is PHP Extended Support needed?
    Since the PHP community discontinues the support of outdated PHP versions on a specific date, 1&1 IONOS actively takes over the role of providing support and eliminating any security vulnerabilities that may affect our customers. We want to provide you with an uninterrupted service for your websites, as well as preventing them from becoming vulnerable to hackers. Maintaining the old PHP versions requires increasing our administration efforts. We only charge you for this additional service with a small monthly fee."

"You still have older PHP 4.0, PHP 5.2, PHP 5.4, PHP 5.5 or PHP 7.0 scripts that you've always wanted to 1&1 IONOSuse on your site? If you would like to add PHP Extended Support as an additional option for current contracts, please contact our Customer Service."

Quote Originally Posted by Trimdoner View Post
    Quote from 1&1 Support pages; (for information only, I'm not interested in arguing for or against any particular web host )

"The paid PHP Extended Support is provided instead of a hard version shutdown you are unaware of or are not yet fully prepared. Your PHP projects and scripts will continue to be protected from attackers until you decide to switch to a recent version of PHP."

"Why is PHP Extended Support needed?
    Since the PHP community discontinues the support of outdated PHP versions on a specific date, 1&1 IONOS actively takes over the role of providing support and eliminating any security vulnerabilities that may affect our customers. We want to provide you with an uninterrupted service for your websites, as well as preventing them from becoming vulnerable to hackers. Maintaining the old PHP versions requires increasing our administration efforts. We only charge you for this additional service with a small monthly fee."

"You still have older PHP 4.0, PHP 5.2, PHP 5.4, PHP 5.5 or PHP 7.0 scripts that you've always wanted to 1&1 IONOSuse on your site? If you would like to add PHP Extended Support as an additional option for current contracts, please contact our Customer Service."
    Lots of claims but no specifics? The only way to "improve the security vulnerabilities" is to

1. recognize vulnerabilities BEFORE hacker do
    2. know how to write code to eliminate them (a lot harder to do than it sounds)
    3. present code needs to be rewritten, compiled, and thoroughly tested

I don't see anything specific in their propaganda. The usual vague claims of greatness with nothing to back it up is all there is.

Sorry, don't see anything to get excited about in their claims to justify another $100 per year added to the regular hosting fee. Multiply the $100/year by just 10,000 accounts and that works out to $1 million a year just for letting hosting customers continue to use an older version of PHP which they have been using for nothing extra for years. I love Capitalism.
    Last edited by rick6811; 02-24-2019 at 02:51 PM.