Thread: Page excluded from Navigation

Default Page excluded from Navigation

I created a page and set the checkbox to 'exclude from Navigation'...
    but after publishing, adding the page name to end of the URL in a browser gives me an error that the page can't be accessed.
    i thought I had done this before, to allow someone to download a file from that 'hidden' page...
    Is this possible in some other way? or is my hosting provider disallowing it now?
    thanks...

I am not sure what the purpose of "exclude from navigation" is supposed to do. If it hides the page, period, then why have the page there in the first place. The way I do it is to simply leave no hint that the page exists any where on the site. No links, no mention of it's name. When someone wants to call it, just use url/page name. But they have to know the name of the page and the contents of the root folder are still protected.

But are you sure there isn't another problem like the page isn't where it's supposed to be.
    And how does one download a file from a web page???? And keep in mind that web sites by design are intended to be public so there isn't security there to keep out everyone. I'll bet I can see everything in your site folder with my software if I had the url.

It's also possible your server has permissions set on the folders and files to have more security. If that's the case you could set up another site that is not published publicly that uses a different index page (which is the hidden page) from the other site but every thing is in one folder where both sites use the same root folder. You are just using 2 urls back to the same folder.

Use a host name for the second site like "hostname.domainname.com. Some call it a sub domain which there are no such domains on a DNS server possible. Ask your hosting company if they have implemented wildcard host names. If they do, you can make up any name you want for the host and it will resolve back to the parent domain name IP address.
    Last edited by richs; 09-17-2019 at 01:43 AM.

yep, that is the way it used to work, i think... excluding it from the navigation removed the link in all the other pages 'navigation menu links' so you can't tell the page exists. i noticed i can get to the page but i have to include the directory for the page in the url, like www.domain.com\hiddenpage\hiddenpage.html. so i must have something setup differently than i used to.
    thanks for the reply...

Never use the directory in a url. It will then allow anyone to look in that directory. Google will blow a gasket if it finds a folder open to browse whether there is anything much in it or not.

But why is the file in it's own folder. It should be in the root site folder and then it should get found with just the /hidden file.html. The url is setup to a root folder. That makes it possible to just use a file name after the url.
    Last edited by richs; 09-17-2019 at 03:11 AM.