Thread: Need to move NOF 13 Upgrade version to a new Windows 10 machine

Default Need to move NOF 13 Upgrade version to a new Windows 10 machine

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I am currently running NOF 13 on my Windows 10 machine since 2015 with practically no issues at all. The hard drive in my current Windows 10 machine is on it's last leg and I need to move my sites to a new machine. I am a NOF web designer and I have all my client sites backed up in templates. I have a few questions I'm hoping the folks here can answer:

1. I have the original NOF 9 upgrade CD, and the original NOF 13 upgrade CD. Can I install the NOF 13 "upgrade version" on the new machine? If so, I assume it will ask for my previous version key .. the NOF 9 "upgrade" key? I forgot how this worked .. it's been a while. I ordered the new machine and don't have it at this time so I thought I'd ask before it arrives so I know what to expect.

2. The operating system on my current PC was originally equipped with Windows 8.1 when the NOF 13 upgrade was installed. My PC was eventually upgraded to Windows 10 shortly thereafter .. and it did not affect NOF 13 at all. I'm assuming that Windows 10 treated the software as a Windows 8.1 program and carried it over to Windows 10 in compatibility mode in order for it to work correctly. So, now that I am about to load the NOF 13 upgrade version on the new Windows 10 machine, I assume I will need to assign the EXE to open in Windows 7 compatibility mode for it to work correctly?

3. I also purchased the full version of NOF 15 in case my NOF 13 upgrade version wouldn't install correctly or work on the new Windows 10 machine. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm happy with NOF 13 ... but I've seen others having issues with NOF 15 with Windows 10. So I'm not sure what to do.

Your help and advise is very much appreciated.

Dave

Install NOF 2015 onto the new computer and import the old nof 13 templates to the new machine. If you want, you can read the wiki which will tell you in more detail how to move sites to a new version onto another computer. It is pretty easy to do if you have templates.

Assuming your old computer still worked ok, you could have bought a new hard drive if that was the problem and then imaged the old drive and restored it onto the new drive on the old computer.

Nof 2015 works as well on win 10 than it runs with older windows. Win 10 is finicky because of the stupid stuff Microsoft is doing not because the software is crappy.
    Last edited by rick6811; 05-28-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Rick ..

Thank you so much for your reply and advise! I was hoping there would still be some life here on this forum. It's folks like you that make a difference (and make my day) in times like these when I'm hoping all goes well in this transfer. So I thank you very much! I hope others also chime in here because I'm sure others will soon fall into the same scenario I am in.

My old PC is 5 years old and it has hard drive issues (bad sectors) and that's why I'm purchasing a new machine. I'm getting errors and the blue screen of death periodically, otherwise I would have cloned the drive. I purchased a new Samsung SSD Drive too and used the migration tool to clone the drive, but it failed to cloan the drive due to issues with the source drive :-( I thought it was time to get a new PC at this point.

Questions:
    1. Will I need to run NOF 15 ... in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode?

2. I also read here that I should have Java 32 bit installed as well? I'm wondering if the new machine will have both 32 bit and 64 bit Java installed?

3. I'm also backing up all my sites using the "Backup Manager" and saving the site backups and restore files on my external drive. I reviewed the online NOF YouTube video and it says to use the backup manager in case of a catastrophic event or hard drive Failure. I'm trying to understand how this would work in a case like mine.

Using this scenario ...
    Lets say my machine fails and I didn't create any backup templates. I've been using NOF 13 on the old PC ... and now installing NOF 15 on the new PC. Can I restore an entire site on the new PC without using a NOF template? It would have been helpful if the NOF video also compared importing templates - VS - Restoring a site with "Backup Manager".

Thanks again!!
    Dave

I don't run NOF on win 10 but I think everybody else who does run NOF 2015 on win 10 just runs it normally. Just try it each way. You won't crash anything doing tests.

You need 32 bit java jre for nof to run jquery stuff. You can also load java jre 64 bit but NOF will ignore it.

I back up everything including servers onto Cobian backup. It's free and works flawlessly. If you have imaging software, you should image your hard drive when the software is brand new and perfect. You should back up files that frequently change onto your USB drive. As you change, install, upgrade software you should image it again and again. Imaging is for backing up permanent software not software that changes frequently.
    If your hard drive should totally crash, then image it back (restore) then use the restore of your backup software.

The proper way to backup NOF is to make templates and then have nof import them back when necessary. You can just restore software back to the same computer and it usually works but people do strange things with their computers and when they change some things it may impact NOF during a restore. Sorry, I don't use backup manager.

Go to this nof wiki site and read up on backup manager.
    http://wiki.netobjects.com/Using_the...Backup_Manager
    Last edited by rick6811; 05-28-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Rick ..

You have been very helpful! I will look into Cobian.

I will post an update after I get my machine on Thursday and report back on my progress.

Thanks again!
    Dave

For what its worth I have both NOF 12 & NOF 13 running on a Windows 10 machine without any problems. I have never used compatibility mode?

Thank you Warrenr! Your comment is worth a lot! :-)

Here is a Java question for you or anyone who can help me.

I downloaded both Java 32 bit and Java 64 bit installation files for my new PC from Oracle. So far I installed the 64 bit version and added it to the Environment variables path and confirmed that it is recognized by the system by opening the command prompt and typing java - version .. and the 64 bit version does appear, so that is working.

Now I need to install Java 32 bit. I haven't installed it yet, because I'm trying to determine if after I install Java 32 bit, do I just add it to the same path where the Java 64 is?

Has anyone done this before? … added both 32 and 64 bit Java together?

I just don't want to screw this up … so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!