Thread: Story and a question about site for mobile

Question Story and a question about site for mobile

Hi all! I have been making all my sites with NOF since 1999, almost 20 years now. Many of you have helped me a lot during my journey and I thank you all for that I have hoped that there would be an new version of NOF which would be more mobile friendly, but I have lost my hope already

I noticed that 97,6% of my visitors are using mobile so it's clear, that my 20 years old 'pc-first' sites are not working very well anymore and we have been starting to get hitted by search results also. I desided that I'll move all my site to work under forum software which we are using, Invision Power Board. We are using it already (forum, gallery, pages, blog etc) and it works very well in mobile. So I was thinking that I'll abandon NOF after all these years, as it is not anymore 'up to date'.

However, after few pints of vodka I realised two big issues. I have thousands and thousands of pages and any kind of moving them to IPB, even copy/paste or whatever, would take AGES. It took 20 years to build it, I just cannot rebuild it within a week

Another and even more important issue: hundreds of those pages are first or in top 3 in search engines. How stupid it would be just take them all down and make new pages under IPB with totally different site strukture and links and urls and hope, that maybe after next 20 years all those pages will be number one in Google again.

So, I totally turned my sledge and desided, that I'll move only parts of my site under IPB (for example front page) but I'll leave two another sections intact. I'll just make them as mobile friendly as I can with NOF and add videos etc. on them, make them more nice to look via mobile.

So, after this horrible long story I would like to get some hints from you, how to make more mobile friendly site with NOF?

What I'm thinking by myself:

- Main text must be bigger than I have now. What do you think, 12 or even 14?
    - Navigation buttons must be bigger and easier to read from mobile.
    - My text is now 'elegant' gray, it must be black because of better readibility.
    - I need to make my site lighter.

Any another ideas, what am I missing here?

When I 'just' change site template/fonts/colours etc, I'm able to do this quite easily and I'll save all the good parts of 'old site' but get better results in mobile too.

NOF can't change resolution on the fly. It must be made at some resolution determined by the right margin. If you want mobile make the right margin 375 pixels and make the site look good with that width.

Thank you for the answer! Yes I'll use fixed size as always, but why it is important to use that 375 right margin? What I'll accomplish with that as I'm total noobie with this issue?

Ah I think that I understand now. I have to test site also with total width of 375, as it is the size of the mobile right. I have to point out, that I'm not making site _only_ for mobile, just normal site for pc _but_ it must be 'ok' in mobile too.

You can't make a site in one resolution (big) and have it good both ways. A phone with a big res site will be almost impossible to scroll. Site must change resolution for it to work both ways. NOF is not responsive so it can't change its resolution.

You can make sites at 2 different resolutions and have software sense the res of the device and it will send the right pages to the device at the best res. Responsive sites do it automatically by squeezing and expanding as needed.
    Last edited by rick6811; 06-01-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6811 View Post
    You can't make a site in one resolution (big) and have it good both ways.
    Well, this is however what I'll try to do But it dosen't have to be great, not even good via mobile, just 'readable'. I understand that responsive site would be a solution and separate mobile site next to that, but unfortunately I cannot make responsive site with NOF. If I would go to responsive way, I'd just put my pages over Invision Power Board as I explained, but too much work and and lost of all good positions in Google are against this.

And as our site Google Index Count number is over 84 000 pages, there is no way I'll start to make another, separate site for mobile

So I'll just modify my present site to be at least little be better in mobile. This is what I'll try at first:

- I have to keep 980px wide, as all our top banners are that width.
    - I'll make all texts bigger, so they are more easy to read via mobile without zooming.
    - I'll take out both letf and right banner colums around text area, in order to keep text wider from side to side.
    - Banners inside of the text area I'll make as a shape which will be readable via mobile too.
    - Pictures inside of the text area I have to think, what is the right size for them and should I use less of them or put them inside of an carousell, this I have to think and test.

All ideas are still very welcome, as this will take at least a month or so anyway