Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: publish keeps stalling

Default publish keeps stalling

I have do everything I can... optimized, save as template ect ect ect...
    I can upload a couple of pages at once but when I go to upload the entire site it always stalls and not in the same place.
    Been uploading since version 9. To add insult to injury, I need to use the task manager to make it quit.

www.jlfurniture.com

I can do a local publish fine and see some suggest using a ftp program. I'm just not sure how to do the entire site correct.
    If I were to upload it ftp I don't want to go into my server folder and delete.... Will ftp just overwrite ?
    Last edited by dwolf; 10-29-2019 at 09:42 PM.

If I had this problem I would be talking to my web hosting company.

After looking in your site folder, I see no html or assests folder. I see about 50 folders with html and jpeg/jpg files in them. I see hundreds of jpg and gif files with some more html files in the root folder of your site. This is not the way NOF would organize a web site folder and may be why you are having publishing and migrating problems.

NOF provides a wiki and help files to show how nof works and how to use the software.
    Last edited by richs; 10-30-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	2832
    I can contact my host but isn't the layout more a product of NOF? Here is a screen shot of a local publish... So last night I load NOF on my laptop and did a full publish from there. It stalled halfway through so I walked away. An hour later I found that it did finally finish up.

Have you checked the size of your files, it may be that you have a really big .jpg or two and that they are taking a long time to upload?

Quote Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
    Have you checked the size of your files, it may be that you have a really big .jpg or two and that they are taking a long time to upload?
    hey dwolf did this work?

You're publiishing flat. Change your publishing to 'Publish by Assets.' NoF will then publish and index page and folders for Assets and HTML. Keeps things much neater.

Do you know if I make this change will my server sort itself out... Years ago I manually took things off my server and caused problems.
    Thanks.. Mine was set to publish by site structure... In the photo sent is this how I change the publish?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	2833

I know that NOF can create a sitemap... but I was advised some time ago to create one from another source which have been doing. Is it really better? and with the new type of publish should I create a new one. I guess I should also turn off the site mapper in NOF.

But back to the top my biggest question is... will my new publish have problems on my server if I don't delete what is on there now?
    Last edited by dwolf; 11-02-2019 at 02:11 PM.

No large files...

As long as you're publishing to the document root on your web server you should have no problems clearing out what is there and then uploading a new publish. I'd strongly recommend doing a Local Publish and then uploading with Filezilla or other ftp program. The ftp in NoF is now 5 years old at least and there have been many security upgrades on servers since then. Filezilla keeps up with them; NoF doesn't keep up with anything and hasn't since 2015. A Local Publish uses relative paths when publishing the site which simply means you can upload the entire Local Publish to your web server. Just make sure you're publishing to the document root and that your index.html file resides there.

It doesn't really matter whether you publish by Asset Type or by Site Structure. Just don't publish flat otherwise all the site files get dumped into the root folder and it's hard to see any structure. OK if it's a 5-page landing page; not ok if you have a large number of pages or an e-comm site. Hope this helps. I don't have access to NOF atm so am writing from memory. (I've upgraded my Mac to Catalina and it's caused issues with programs in my virtual machine which I'm atm sorting out).