Thread: Alternative software to replace NOF V15 - what to buy?

Default Alternative software to replace NOF V15 - what to buy?

What software can I purchase to replace my NOF 15? Prefer something that will make it possible to simplify the transition of my NOF personal web sites to the new software (4 sites, about 25-40 pages each). Prefer software on my PC hard drive rather using a cloud etc. Rather one payment up-front than monthly fees.
    I have been using NOF since Version 7 in 2007 and always upgraded to the latest version when available. Just a moderately skilled user but managed to fluff my way through mastering NOF and publishing my own hobby pages on an irregular basis. NOF 15 is rather old and unsupported with no updates. I feel that NOF users have been abandoned and I want to update to a program that has support and is still current and being updated.
    Please, would love to receive advice, especially from anyone who has already explored this issue or hopefully made the transition to something new.

Fingers crossed, Don

I changed from NOF to WYSIWYG Webbuilder, they offer a free trial so you can see before you buy and its well priced. Support is fantastic from both the supplier and the Forum! There are also many add on scripts although I have been using it for three years now and have not found the need to add on! Have a look www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com, quite a few previous NOF users have gone this route!

I moved over to Wix.com

It is intuitive, flexible and loaded with features all at reasonable prices - they always have 1/2 off sales and if you watch for them, you can save some moolah. And you can keep your current domain registrar and just point it to the Wix servers - this is good because you won't have to pay the $5.00 per month for the mandatory google email accounts Wix requires.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
    I changed from NOF to WYSIWYG Webbuilder, they offer a free trial so you can see before you buy and its well priced. Support is fantastic from both the supplier and the Forum! There are also many add on scripts although I have been using it for three years now and have not found the need to add on! Have a look www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com, quite a few previous NOF users have gone this route!
    Many thanks for your reply. Checked out WYSIWYG Web Builder and it seems to be a reasonable fit with what I need. Cannot find anything that will translate my existing NOF sites so will have to start again from scratch unfortunately. No matter which direction I go I will have to spend a lot of time learning the new program. Did you find the learning curve between NOF 15 and Web Builder a difficult exercise? I Prefer a one off payment of US$60 up front for desktop software than never ending US$14/month rental payments for cloud software.

Quote Originally Posted by TomDunne View Post
    I moved over to Wix.com

It is intuitive, flexible and loaded with features all at reasonable prices - they always have 1/2 off sales and if you watch for them, you can save some moolah. And you can keep your current domain registrar and just point it to the Wix servers - this is good because you won't have to pay the $5.00 per month for the mandatory google email accounts Wix requires.
    I appreciate your response Tom, thanks. WIX seems to be a popular choice and many reviewers have it at the top of their list. If it had a desktop version then I would probably go that way, but I don't want to be tied to a never ending monthly payment that is well in excess of the one off cost of a desktop program. Everything is a compromise and I am leaning towards a desktop solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozcarnut View Post
    Many thanks for your reply. Checked out WYSIWYG Web Builder and it seems to be a reasonable fit with what I need. Cannot find anything that will translate my existing NOF sites so will have to start again from scratch unfortunately. No matter which direction I go I will have to spend a lot of time learning the new program. Did you find the learning curve between NOF 15 and Web Builder a difficult exercise? I Prefer a one off payment of US$60 up front for desktop software than never ending US$14/month rental payments for cloud software.
    I found the transition quite painless. Some features are very similar to NOF and it uses a layout similar to windows office products with regard to features!