Thread: AVI to MP4 frame size, rectangle vs. square pixels? Read more: http://www.digitalfaq

Default AVI to MP4 frame size, rectangle vs. square pixels? Read more: http://www.digitalfaq

I have captured several VHS videotapes with 720x576 resolution using Hauppauge, which allows me to capture and compress to mp4 in real time, which is fine as I don't want to do any recovery, just a very simple capture, compress and share with my family.

I also captured some 8mm tapes with DV, which are captured at 720x576 resolution, but they are saved as AVI, which is fine too. However, these files are large and I want to compress them to mp4 for download, etc.

The problem/misunderstanding I have is that AVI when compressed to mp4 is now 768x576, even though I "maintain" the same output size. I've done some research on the internet and believe this is due to the fact that AVI uses rectangular pixels while mp4 uses square pixels, but I don't understand the implications of this.

I want to know if 720x576 AVI is the equivalent of 768x576 mp4, or should I shoot my AVI at a different resolution?

I'm not sure what you're trying to do or why. I can only say that there are various converters that can solve similar problems.

Hey, guys. I probably agree that it is not clear what you are trying to do, but I will try to help you. Maybe it's really about the pixels, and that's why you can't do it. Try to find a suitable converter, maybe the problem will be solved. For example, I often use mp3 converter to download music. Now all music sites are paid, and I don't want to pay for it either. That's why I found a great site for converting YouTube videos to mp3 songs. You can convert any song you want and download it for free. You can also try to find something similar. I hope I was useful to you and was able to throw an idea to solve the problem, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbrowne View Post
    Hey, guys. I probably agree that it is not clear what you are trying to do, but I will try to help you. Maybe it's really about the pixels, and that's why you can't do it. Try to find a suitable converter, maybe the problem will be solved. For example, I often use mp3 converter to download music. Now all music sites are paid, and I don't want to pay for it either. That's why I found a great site for converting YouTube videos to mp3 songs. You can convert any song you want and download it for free. You can also try to find something similar. I hope I was useful to you and was able to throw an idea to solve the problem, good luck.
    By the way, this is a very good idea.