Thread: Add Me To Mortgage?

Default Add Me To Mortgage?

Not sure if this is the right forum, so please feel free to move it if necessary. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

In a nutshell: my ex and I took out a mortgage more than 20 years ago. 11 years later, we divorced. The mortgage was sold at least twice over the years, and at some point my name disappeared from the account. I don't know why. Since we still had children at home, my ex gave me the house and the capital when we divorced 10 years ago. (We are in a state of public ownership, if that matters.)

At the time we divorced, the payments were very overdue. I worked overtime to make payments every two weeks, but the mortgage was sold again and the new company wasn't playing. The house was foreclosed. My ex very generously raised a large sum and saved the house. It was in 2015. Since then, I have been making all payments on time.

My question is, should I ask my ex to add me to the mortgage? In October, it will be SIX (not seven, as originally reported) years since the payment history was perfect. What are the pros and cons of adding me to a mortgage?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

I think you should consult with a lawyer or bank manager, not on the forum

Such situations are often encountered, especially after divorce when people take a loan and do not think how it will work in the future. Later there are even more problems, especially regarding the pledged asset. I have not had such a problem but I understand that even many lawyers can not find a solution that can clarify things. A friend of mine suggested that when I have problems with the mortgage to ask for some advice from Mortgage Advice Birmingham. He also had such a situation, when he had to pay the entire mortgage for both himself and his ex. But after what I understand already managed to clear the problem, so try and you

Nothing beats sitting down with a person I think with these kinds of things, I used https://blossomfield.co.uk would recommend or find a local broker to discuss in detail.