Thread: How do you keep iron doors from rusting?

Default How do you keep iron doors from rusting?

If you have car wax, that's another great option for protecting your door from rust. Just like with your car, it will make water roll right off your door rather than resting there and causing rust. You can apply the wax with a lint-free cloth, and you'll only need to reapply it every six months or so.

If you’ve recently bought or are thinking of purchasing a wrought iron door, you’ll need to know how to maintain it. Thankfully, wrought iron doors are actually quite easy to maintain, as all they really need is some simple cleaning and rust prevention. Properly maintained, your door could last upward of 30 years or more. Since we’re here to teach you how to maintain wrought iron doors, we’ll also talk about minor repairs you can do at home and how to paint your door without damaging it in the process!

Quote Originally Posted by danielhowell View Post
    If you’ve recently bought or are thinking of purchasing a wrought iron door, you’ll need to know how to maintain it. Thankfully, wrought iron doors are actually quite easy to maintain, as all they really need is some simple cleaning and rust prevention. Properly maintained, your door could last upward of 30 years or more. Since we’re here to teach you how to maintain wrought iron doors, we’ll also talk about minor repairs you can do at home and how to paint your door without damaging it in the process!
    As wrought iron doors are relatively low-maintenance, the best thing you can do for them is to keep them clean. For many of us in Texas, we can get away with washing our iron doors once a month. However, for those living closer to the coast, you’ll be better off giving your iron door a wash twice a month. The salty coastal air is corrosive to the metal, so frequent cleaning will help prevent that corrosion.

When cleaning your door, most common multi-purpose household cleaners or alcohol-based cleaning solutions will be okay. In general, you should be using a cleaner that would work on light switches and remote controls. You’ll also want to have some sort of cloth or microfiber pad to rub cleaner on the door. Don’t apply the cleaner directly to the door. Instead, mix it with water to put on a cloth or pad or apply some cleaner to an already wet cloth or pad. After cleaning the entire door, rinse it with water, then rub it down with a dry cloth or sponge to get most of the water off. After that, it can be allowed to air-dry the rest of the way.

Wrought iron doors offer strength and security, not compromising warmth and beauty that provide curb appeal and value to any home or business. Years of experience are evident by the way our master craftsmen forge wrought iron into soft arches and subtle scrolls. Double-pane glass offers privacy and energy efficiency. Heavy-duty ball-bearing hinges enable the ease of function and feel. Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty, the timeless entry will welcome friends and family for years to come.
    Last edited by Harrison Jordan; 11-18-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Usually, if I'm concerned about this issue, I go to the mechanic and ask him to fix the problem. But when this situation happened to my door in the house, I seriously feared for my safety. It really made me think about buying intercom systems to be aware of who comes to my house or in my absence. It is a good experience.