Thread: Goods deliveries from Chinese suppliers

Default Goods deliveries from Chinese suppliers

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum but I am not quite sure where would be best to place it. I know many posters here are active modellers, gadget tinkerers and car restorers and as such they order lots of bits and bobs from Chinese suppliers, and it is they who I am asking rather than people in commercial businesses who deal with major Chinese wholesale businesses.

I am currently based in Asia and ordering from Amazon, while efficient and reliable, is eye-wateringly expensive, with postage costs often adding an extra 100-150% on top of the base price.

I am in the process of starting to buy stuff for the kids for birthdays and Christmas, as I can see that going to malls for leisurely shopping expeditions will be out of the question for a while, not that there ever is much stuff in the malls here anyway. Furthermore given the circumstances of this year, we, like most people, are facing a bit of an austere Christmas this year, it'll be mostly clothes, PC games, and stuff for the older kids and cheap knock-off Lego and Barbies for the younger ones. And this is where Ali Baba comes in, or more specifically AliExpress, it's a cornucopia of cheap tat and the postage costs are a fraction of Amazon's.

I have ordered a load of stuff over the past couple of weeks but as yet none of it has arrived, Amazon usually arrives in 10 to 15 days. It only amounts to a couple of hundred quid and if none of it ever arrived it wouldn't be the end of the world, but there is a nice looking laptop and a few other things I have my eye on that if I was sure of the sellers' reliability I would like to order.

So my question is simple, how has your experience been in the past with ordering stuff from individual Chinese suppliers? Do they deliver the goods or are most of them scam artists? These sellers are on Ali Baba so I presume they must be vetted somehow. How long, on average, does it take for goods that are ordered to arrive from China?

Amazon always sells items that aren't theirs and sellers never know shipping costs

You're right; it's best to question those that deal with this on a daily basis rather than resell it for profit. However, there are individuals on Amazon who have no understanding what they're selling and can't accurately define the product's features. When you order something from Amazon, you're more likely to get it from a middleman who brought the product from the manufacturer to the warehouse. The item is delivered to you by the carrier from Amazon's warehouse, not from the manufacturer's. I know how to track speedpak box, but I'm not sure how it gets to the Amazon warehouse. My seller is also affected by this, because he offers the item for one price and the store charges 100% more for shipping, despite the fact that it would be more profitable for the seller to ship the package himself. However, Amazon is entirely reliant on that revenue.