Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Commerce for NOF 12

Default E-Commerce for NOF 12

Sure would be great if this component could be updated with such things as;

• Ability to create/offer discounts.
    • Ability to create/offer coupons.
    • Ability to have a master control panel which would hold all products and then allow selected products to appear on selected page/s.
    • Redevelop the individual product pages.
    • Allow multiple images per product.
    • Image zoomabilty.

I'm sure there's more, but this short list is what comes to mind first.
    Only the Blue Roads

I guess this depends on whether we're talking "catalog" or full-fledged "shopping cart", but either way, I'll add a few items to the list:

• Admin area for adding/deleting/modifying products, prices, pics (back to my Admin Panel (tm) suggestion... )
    • Affiliate/referral tracking mechanism (this is *huge* with folks selling online)
    • Random/hidden link generation for digital downloads

Hey, this is fun.

Ray

My 2c worth on this: I don't think NOF should put time and effort into eCommerce. It's done very well by lots of other companies and these things can very easily be integrated into a NOF site. We use a system that allows us to use PHP tags and integrate it very easily into NOF but use the Admin backend for true eCommerce functionality.

I think NOF should obviously update and improve on what it has, but in web page creation and letting us have the ability to create great design and functionality for web sites. I think eCommerce is just enough of a big task that it should remain outside of NOF. The only potentially good idea with this would be that NOF somehow link an existing eCommerce backend system to their web page creation, therefore not reinventing the wheel. I'd rather their efforts if they are creating "NOF 12" go into making a great web page generator.

I have to agree with Andrew. There's enough improvement needed in NoF for it to keep up to date with web page generation without worrying about adding functionality for which there is already a plethora of solutions. Personally, I've yet to find a client who's needs cannot be met by either Mal's or Zen Cart. I've also used Miva although the cost of a licence is making that rather expensive for some of my small, regional clients.

franko

Yup, I agree with Andrew and Franko here.

NetObjects need to focus on what it does best - NOF as a WYSIWYG generator. Over the years I have tried all of the NOF components but to be blunt I found them all to be lacking and overly complicated in some areas and not the easiest of things to get working. Saying that my exposure and trials with these were many years ago and I made a decision not to use them and haven't since but maybe casual users doing their personal sites or projects for friends and family will get something out of them. Again I would prefer to see these as options to install or download with the ability to uninstall them if no longer needed....anything to make NOF slimmer and more efficient.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Once upon a time in a land far, far away, I asked the then owners of Fusion to pull out all of the fluff and allow a basic installation of the core program with all of the components and styles as options to be chosen at the initial installation or added as the user wishes.

At the very least, to do the opposite and install it all, but allow removal of things you never, ever use. The Flash "toys", for example.

Another example is the DB components. For the code and database literate, they just take up space and bloat the program.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Hi Chuck. I remember the conversation well and agree with the suggestion. It's on the product roadmap.

Excellent!

Hi, Steve... good to hear from you.

(for those who don't know, Steve is the the Top Dog at NetObjects, Inc.)
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    Excellent!

Hi, Steve... good to hear from you.

(for those who don't know, Steve is the the Top Dog at NetObjects, Inc.)
    Great to have senior Netobjects staff around here too Steve!
    It's not a bug...just an undocumented feature
    Carl Kruck - MetaWeb IT
    http://www.metawebit.com

I agree with Andy. I'd also like to be able to have different pricing options for each single product line (eg different prices for (say) small, medium and large).