Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-Commerce for NOF 12

Quote Originally Posted by somersetbill View Post
    I agree with Andy. I'd also like to be able to have different pricing options for each single product line (eg different prices for (say) small, medium and large).
    The object of the components is to make a complex task simple.

The more that is added to the component the more complex it becomes. When this happens the component eventually becoming more complex to operate than the task it was designed to simplify.

With the Fusion e-commerce component if you need different sizes you have to create different items (one for each size and price)

Here is a tutorial that goes over how to manually create a commerce store that interfaces with mals-e (one of the more common merchant processing engines).

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4050

You can create a drop down box for small, med, lg which can send different prices to the merchant processor based on the selection. This would allow you to have one item description with an option where the user can select different sizes with different prices.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I would like to see categories within the e-commerce catalogue. Typically this is how an online store operates as customers do not want to wade through 100 items to find the one they want - this is anti best web design principles.
    I would also like to see a search facility within the catalogue (as well as elsewhere) - as the catalogue is database driven, surely this should be possible?
    I would also like to be able to customise the output - you used to be able to do this in the photo gallery which seem similar in many respects.
    I would also like to suggest that there is a facility for lists to be displayed across multiple pages rather than one very long page. Again, this was in the photo gallery.
    I agree the flash gadgets are not much use really - I think I 've used them once.
    Also, typically manufacturers allocate different SKUs to alternate product options so although Bill is correct in saying they need to have different primary key values, visually, this is not what the customer expects.
    I do understand the point abou complexity but would like to put forward the case for how customers expect the online experience to be and real world commercial issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    Yup, I agree with Andrew and Franko here.

NetObjects need to focus on what it does best - NOF as a WYSIWYG generator. Over the years I have tried all of the NOF components but to be blunt I found them all to be lacking and overly complicated in some areas and not the easiest of things to get working.
    I'm building my first cart and lurking around for layout discussion. I had to jump on this old post though. Just wanted to say NOF's cart is the way to go Andendum. I've been looking around and the complication you may be referring to in the cart is unavoidable, but NOF does it best - and it picks up your site 'style'. CMS type carts all require coding as a developer to get your site style - definitely not WYSIWYG. All those little fields for product, description, cost, shipping, tax, etc., etc., etc., have to be done somewhere and NOF does it with 'style'.

Well, maybe I'll give it another look....might wait to see what happens if/when NOF12 comes out (yawn!) lol
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

For NOF to get into e-commerce would be like re-inventing the wheel. If you want e-commerce then get ZenCart. This is like some that use Zencart want them to add accounting programs. A shopping cart is a shopping cart, accounting program is a accounting program, & a web site builder is a web site builder.

NOF needs to uninstall a lot of custom compoents to lighten up the baggage. If someone needs them they can install what they need.

My thoughts,

Well, having been working with the NOF E-Commerce Catalog, doing simple updates like adding products, I have to re-itereate that this is in need of improvement. I don't think a full-on E-Commerce solution is absolutely necessary (although, if it worked well, 'twould be swell), but a decent Catalog that could interface with the various cart and payment solutions out there would be a sensible component to have.

Problems with the current Catalog (or "Catalogue" for us "Brits" )

• It's very flaky, with masterborder margins and the catalog width adjusting themselves randomly as if haunted.
    • No ability to format of any the text in the Description/Brief Description etc.
    • No Admin function for adding/editing products. Any changes require a re-publish.

That just brings it into the realm of "usable", IMHO. Then it's a matter of how many of the other suggestions listed here it makes sense to look at.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I am a novice but do like the catalog feature in NOF. I would just like to work in NOF 12 and stop crashing when I try to add a catalog. I like some of the fluff. I don't mind the idea of the fluff being optional, but I still use some of it.

I do not think NOF should implement this as it very easy to have a third party do this and append on an NOF site. If the site wishes to be integrated with e-commerce, the third party can use tags and very easily integrate it to an NOF site. It should remain lightweight and have the core program intact on the fly.

That is all well and good but for some of us I would like the shopping cart to be all inclusive with the design features.

A couple of years passed...Do NOF has a desired features now? Guess any modern shopping carts should have an extensive design toolkit as a must.
    Open source PHP-based ecommerce software CS-Cart