Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simpler Style Creation

Default Simpler Style Creation

I started to raise this on one of the other threads in this group but felt it better to start a new topic. I would like to see a simpler process for creating a new style. At the moment the process is as follows:
    1. Open NoF. Choose new blank site. Name and save site.
    2. Navigate to Styles. See Glasgow - Teal and vomit or whatever it's called.
    3. Click Style>New SiteStyle. Name new sitestyle.
    4. Click Set sitestyle. Choose new site style, click ok.
    5. Click Remove unused sitestyles. Choose Glasgow - Teal and vomit. Click ok
    6. Finally we're in a position to start adding assets to our Style.

What I'd like see is something like this.
    1. Open NoF, choose New blank site. Name and save site.
    2. Navigate to Styles. Do not see there a style chosen for me, especially one as naff as Glasgow Teal and vomit.
    3. Start adding assets to blank site style which, by default, is named the same as the site.

Frankly, most of the supplied styles are extremely old fashioned and rather naff in this day of web 2.0 going on web 3.0. Make NoF faster and more efficient for professional web developers to use and give the amateurs and wannabes the option of installing canned styles from the NoF web site if they're not able to design and create a style of their own.

Oh...and let me change my text styles in the styles graphic tab and not have to go through the manage text styles dialog box. There are some really clunky interface issues relating to using NoF that could easily be sorted for the next release, without worrying about adding things like e-commerce, CMS, etc.

Franko,

Firstly - I'm not stalking you, I promise...it's just a timing thing!

I think we must be related Franko, cos yet again I have to agree 100%. Creating a new site style is unnecessarily complicated but there is a work around that I borrowed from one of the sage's here.

I did all the work up front and created an absolutely clean style, black on white, very basic and no graphics. Saved all of that as a style, created a new site with that style and exported as a template. I now use that template to start any new project off with.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Franko,

Firstly - I'm not stalking you, I promise...it's just a timing thing!
    No, it's just that web both spend too much time in front of computers and need to get lives!

Could be. I was born in Hornchurch Essex and grew up in North Kent. Mum from Walthamstowe; Dad from west country
    I saw this but I'm lazy and it's as much trouble as importing assets for a custom site anyway. I'd much rather have a reduced workflow in the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    No, it's just that web both spend too much time in front of computers and need to get lives!
    Agreed! But how could you - you live in a paradise. Noosa is awesome and you have the Whitsunday's on your doorstep. You'd have to drag me back to a computer if I had your scenery!

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    I saw this but I'm lazy and it's as much trouble as importing assets for a custom site anyway. I'd much rather have a reduced workflow in the next release.
    Must be the heat!
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

My mind must be getting a little soft lately but I remember NetO having a style or template builder software available not too long ago as part of a toolbox collection. I've dug around on my active array and can't seem to find it. I don't seem to find it on the NetO site either I will fire up the archive drive and take a look on there to see if I still have it some place.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

My mind must be getting a little soft lately but I remember NetO having a style or template builder software available not too long ago as part of a toolbox collection.
    I have it installed - not sure if I still have the entire toolbox but probably do if anyone wants it - but found it pretty useless. It's not difficult to design a page in Photoshop and then slice up the various elements - background, banner, buttons, other images and import them. It's just the hassle of changing and removing the default style before I can start doing it that p*****s me off.

I think the Toolbox arrived with NOF 8.

Still have the separate disk it came on.

Installed it three machines back, but never used it.
    Only the Blue Roads

Default Toolbox Apps.

The Toolbox applications were bundled with NetObjects Fusion 10 and were a separate installation. Website Pros obtained the applications in an acquisition of related assets. We gave them away with NetObjects Fusion 10 because we believed they would add value for some of our customers. We concluded, correctly I believe, that the applications were a good idea, but not well executed and therefore difficult to use. The applications were: Graphics Editor Ad Creator Site Mapper Style Creator Style Builder The old web page is still live (http://netobjects.com/html/toolbox.html). If you have (or had) NetObjects Fusion 10, install them and see if you find them useful. Steve

A GUI driven application that would create Fusion "Site Styles" would be a useful tool. Something simple to use, like Fusion is, where you could just go and grab graphics and manipulate them and when you saved everything would go into a proper folder location so that they can be used by the product just like the "stock" site styles.

It would not have to be fancy, just something that would automate all of the tasks to assemble a working site style would be fine.

Experienced users know how to put together a new style but new users get stuck a lot and something that automates the process would help expand the user base greatly.

The simpler you make everything, the larger the user base becomes.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz