Thread: steps for a quick and easy database, with a hosted sql database

Default steps for a quick and easy database, with a hosted sql database

I would like to set up a very simple database, with for instance three fields: name, age, # of dogs.

I currently host a web site with siteground.com and like so many hosts, they offer sql databases.

It appears to me that NOF 11 allows me to set up the fields (name, age, # of dogs) and the data without even actually setting up the database on my local computer, which would be great. I would like to link to the web host and just handle it through NOF.

I just can't quite figure out how to do it. There is mention of the DB Creation Wizard, but I can't find it in the program. I looked over DB Components and am pretty sure the Wizard is not there.

Any advice appreciated. I am sure it is simple... Thank you.

Hi,

I'm not entirely sue there is a sql db creation wizard, from my experience you have to set the database up first and then use the database connector and then the record selector to define what fields or views you wish to use.

Regards,

Paul

Default administrator required?

For a Vista computer (and maybe Windows 7)...

The Database Creation Wizard does not appear unless you run NOF 11 as administrator (at least once, and possibly every time). To run as admin, right-click rather than left-click on NOF 11. Run as admin appears near the top when you hold down the right-click button to execute NOF 11.

The Database Creation Wizard is a subset of the Custom Components (such as NOF Forms Handler).

The NOF Forms Handler (and similar) are on the left-hand side of NOF 11, but are only accessible when you have run NOF 11 as administrator.

Right now I'm having a separate issue with the Database Creation Wizard. Hopefully this will help U.

Quote Originally Posted by itserich View Post
    I would like to set up a very simple database, with for instance three fields: name, age, # of dogs.

I currently host a web site with siteground.com and like so many hosts, they offer sql databases.

It appears to me that NOF 11 allows me to set up the fields (name, age, # of dogs) and the data without even actually setting up the database on my local computer, which would be great. I would like to link to the web host and just handle it through NOF.

I just can't quite figure out how to do it. There is mention of the DB Creation Wizard, but I can't find it in the program. I looked over DB Components and am pretty sure the Wizard is not there.

Any advice appreciated. I am sure it is simple... Thank you.

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi,

I have written a small tutorial for the NOF connection to a SQL database. It. is in German but I do have a Google translation button on the bottom of each page. Maybe it will help you a bit:

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/nof/MySQL/
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook