Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Visual/Video Lightbox photo gallery questions & discussion

Thank you for your comments franko :-)

I did those spontaneous shots a few years ago with a compact cam... I had no professional ambition... Now I got myself a better cam and have been improving a lot. But food fotography is an art of its own, no way I will ever even try matching something like your outstanding work... My time is better spent "cooking" in the kitchen... I can't even think of using hair spray of other chemical tricks on food... :-)))))

Question

I did some experimenting today with Visual Lightbox photo gallery. I must admit, it's a pretty slick package. The one drawback for me is the inability to update the gallery without republishing (and hand editing !!) the relevant pages.

Two options I've come up with:
    1.) Use the Gallery as a stand-alone, and a link from the main site opens it in a pop-up window. This allows for full-screen viewing, and leaves the site in the background when the gallery is closed.

2.) Embed using Inline Frame, which allows wrapping with as much or as little as you want of the site header, footer, navigation, etc.

The instructions for embedding talk about copying and pasting two sections of the produced code into the <HEAD> </HEAD> and <BODY> </BODY> sections of your page respectively.

Am I correct in assuming because it needs to split and copied in two pieces that a Server Side Include is not possible? And by that, I mean, without having to edit the published page so that if someone were to update the gallery, it would automatically be reflected in the site page.

Thanks,
    -RayC

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    I did some experimenting today with Visual Lightbox photo gallery. I must admit, it's a pretty slick package. The one drawback for me is the inability to update the gallery without republishing (and hand editing !!) the relevant pages.

Two options I've come up with:
    1.) Use the Gallery as a stand-alone, and a link from the main site opens it in a pop-up window. This allows for full-screen viewing, and leaves the site in the background when the gallery is closed.

2.) Embed using Inline Frame, which allows wrapping with as much or as little as you want of the site header, footer, navigation, etc.

The instructions for embedding talk about copying and pasting two sections of the produced code into the <HEAD> </HEAD> and <BODY> </BODY> sections of your page respectively.

Am I correct in assuming because it needs to split and copied in two pieces that a Server Side Include is not possible? And by that, I mean, without having to edit the published page so that if someone were to update the gallery, it would automatically be reflected in the site page.

Thanks,
    -RayC
    You can use 2 include statements, one in the head using layout MB properties insert and one in the body using the CTRL+T method.

This method was used on the gotFusion hosting KB tutorials http://www.gotfusion.com/support/tutorials/

That way you can have 2 separate files that you can edit external to Fusion. NO need to re-generate pages as the include statement in the Fusion page will not change, only the content of the file that is being included when the page draws.

It does not matter what flavor dynamic language you use, just remember to change the extension of the page you want to use your include statements on to the proper extension used by the language you are using.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Ray I just finished a site where I used the MLR with I frames to display various albums, now all I do is upload an updated albums to there respective folders within the site as when needed, Nof has a link to the neamed html opening page thru the i frame, works great no publishing issues or hand coding (http://www.tulakhounds.co.uk/html/_albums.html)

Mike C

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    You can use 2 include statements, one in the head using layout MB properties insert and one in the body using the CTRL+T method.

This method was used on the gotFusion hosting KB tutorials http://www.gotfusion.com/support/tutorials/

That way you can have 2 separate files that you can edit external to Fusion. NO need to re-generate pages as the include statement in the Fusion page will not change, only the content of the file that is being included when the page draws.

It does not matter what flavor dynamic language you use, just remember to change the extension of the page you want to use your include statements on to the proper extension used by the language you are using.
    It's good to know that little tidbit about inserting into the <HEAD> area in th MasterBorder, but in this case I think it would still require editing the VLB index.html file after publishing to split the file into the two pieces, no?

Or can I just include the whole thing twice and the browser will figure it out?

I'm trying to figure out my options to allow gallery updates by knuckleheads, er, "clients", without requiring any file editing.

-RayC

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    It's good to know that little tidbit about inserting into the <HEAD> area in th MasterBorder, but in this case I think it would still require editing the VLB index.html file after publishing to split the file into the two pieces, no?

Or can I just include the whole thing twice and the browser will figure it out?

I'm trying to figure out my options to allow gallery updates by knuckleheads, er, "clients", without requiring any file editing.

-RayC
    Usually you have 2 blocks of code. One for the head and one for the document body. You don't want to put both in both locations, you need to separate them.

You can save the head block as headCode.cfm (or php or asp, which ever include you are going to use) and save the body block as bodyCode.cfm.

Then using the method explained insert the proper block into the proper location using an include. You don't want to use the masterborder properties palette to insert the head code unless you want to put it in every page in the web site. http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=382

For coldfusion this would be <cfinclude template="headCode.cfm"> Just remember that regardless of which language you use you must specify not only the file NAME but give a relative location of the file so if you are publish by asset type and the page is in the html folder and your include files are in root the naming convention would be "../headCode.cfm" which says go down one level and get this file.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 05-07-2010 at 01:27 AM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Ok I'm going to revive this thread, because despite installing and unistalling and reinstalling several times, Visual Lightbox simply won't work the way I want it to. (Actually, it won't work at all!) I can add the photos but then VLB simply refuses to let me do anything else except exit. So back to the drawing board....

Hi franko,

how did you install it? Is Lightbox not working on its own or not working on NetObjects? Have you tried to include it and how?

@ Franko,

habe you tried this tut of Panda?
    It even comes with a template.
    http://www.digital-panda.com/lytebox/english/

kr
    Mia
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

ja ja, üt Panda is üt best, gelle :-)