Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Visual/Video Lightbox photo gallery questions & discussion

Franko, whilst this might not be your issue directly, and this is just advice that you can take or leave , completely uninstall Advanced System Care and uninstall Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool available off their website and install Kaspersky Internet Security or BitDefender Internet Security, even the new Microsoft Security Essentials (completely free from MS) is rating well nowadays.

Many will argue that their AV is the best, but many people will tell you what an impact Norton can have on your system and Advanced System Care in my opinion and experience can do more harm than good on a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Technology Ideas View Post
    This one will do what you want and doesn't need XHTML - it's the one I use.
    You don't as such use iFrames but you call a URL into the lightbox itself (same thing).
    http://www.dolem.com/lytebox/
    Brilliant Andrew, just what I'm looking for mate! Will implement it soon
    It's not a bug...just an undocumented feature
    Carl Kruck - MetaWeb IT
    http://www.metawebit.com

completely uninstall Advanced System Care and uninstall Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool available off their website and install Kaspersky Internet Security or BitDefender Internet Security, even the new Microsoft Security Essentials (completely free from MS) is rating well nowadays.
    Thanks for the advice Andy. I only run ASC when I feel I need to (eg after uninstalling several programs I've been testing) and I do check it manually when I do run it. Trouble with Windoze is that programs write files in so many different places and leave file fragments all over the place that, after several years of high use, the system has slowed to a crawl. But then, there are now so many usefull programs that are windows only that you kind of have to use it for a lot of stuff.

I've been using Norton for so many years now it's kind of gotten to be a habit to simply renew the subscription (and we have it running on 3 machines - the 4th is running pareto anti-virus plus but that's a production machine only and is never used to access the internet). But I will certainly check out Kaspersky & BitDefender prior to renewing this time.

completely uninstall Advanced System Care and uninstall Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool available off their website and install Kaspersky Internet Security or BitDefender Internet Security, even the new Microsoft Security Essentials (completely free from MS) is rating well nowadays.
    Thanks for the advice Andy. I only run ASC when I feel I need to (eg after uninstalling several programs I've been testing) and I do check it manually when I do run it. Trouble with Windoze is that programs write files in so many different places and leave file fragments all over the place that, after several years of high use, the system has slowed to a crawl. But then, there are now so many usefull programs that are windows only that you kind of have to use it for a lot of stuff.

I've been using Norton for so many years now it's kind of gotten to be a habit to simply renew the subscription (and we have it running on 3 machines - the 4th is running pareto anti-virus plus but that's a production machine only and is never used to access the internet). But I will certainly check out Kaspersky & BitDefender prior to renewing this time.

For uninstalling programs, use a program called Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/, it uninstalls the program and finds any traces of the programs in Registry that might be left behind based on the program itself. Registry Cleaners have caused so many problems on many machines I have had to "fix" in the past. Registry files can get large, but I can honestly tell you, the few stray lines programs leave behind are irrelevant to your machine slowing down.

Lack of enough RAM and enough free hard disk space are generally the cause of slowed machines (other than them getting old as processors), along with any programs running in the background on startup. The number of fonts on a system can slow a machine down as well. A lot of designers seem to leave a bunch of fonts on their machines. You can get any one of the number of font managers for this problem.

I'll second Andrew's comments about Norton and Revo.

Symantec should be banned from releasing such awful software. I was a user for several years - when Norton was Norton, not Symantec...and way back in the DOS days when Norton Commander was the bees knees! But Symantec's AV software is a giant slug and should be uninstalled from every PC in the world!! Sorry, end of rant...but ...pah!

I have tried all but Kaspersky (they are next maybe). PCtools was ok for a while, McAfee is just as bad as Symantec's offering, Panda was equally as slow but I'm currently using Avira. Fast, unobtrusive and so far no problems.

I also use Zards Cleanse Uninstaller but REVO is the better product.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned this one yet - http://jalbum.net/skins/skin/LightBox%202
    All free, no code to look through and you can take credits off and add or replace with your own. Sort images like using Windows Explorer and add captions if you like.

Be careful when making recommendations with jAlbum and their skins. I use jAlbum and have recommended it in thsse forums quite a few times previously, but in this particular case, it uses ClearBox LightBox and you need to get approval from the author for Commercial use and licencing. i.e. it will cost you. This is the case with a lot of the jAlbum skins. jAlbum has been principally designed for non-commercial use and quite often have the catch of licencing for commercial use and can cost more than programs suggested in this thread and others.