Thread: Issue (bug?) in NOF E-Commerce Catalog and Mals Cart.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Issue (bug?) in NOF E-Commerce Catalog and Mals Cart.

There is an issue when using the NOF E-Commerce Catalog with Mals. The pre-defined currency codes do not map to anything in Mals Cart, and can actually result in the WRONG currency being used.

See my post here for a breakdown.

-RayC

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    There is an issue when using the NOF E-Commerce Catalog with Mals. The pre-defined currency codes do not map to anything in Mals Cart, and can actually result in the WRONG currency being used.

See my post here for a breakdown.

-RayC

I think you are trying to make things way too complicated. The default currency is set in the Mals-e account. This is the currency the account is paid in. If the cart is in Canada the default account uses Canadian dollars. If it is Europe it uses euros, Pounds the UK, etc.

what you want to do is provide a currency conversion for the user of the cart not change the default currency for the cart owner.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 05-04-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Even so, Mike, it can be an issue for anyone who is not operating in $US as their default currency -- even if only one currency is being used.

Buried in one of the Fusion files (thanks, Andrew) is code for the "Pre-Defined" currencies. This has currency codes assigned as US=0, Pound=1, Eruo=2, CDN=3.

Mal's has options for assigning other currencies, but your default currency has a code of 0.

If I set my default in Mal's to be $CDN, it has a code of 0, but if I select Canadian from the Pre-Defined list in the NOF Catalog, it will send a currency code of 3 . If I happen to have Euros defined in my Mals account as currency #3, then Mals will tell Paypal that the number is Euros. If you have nothing defined in Mals for currency #3, then Paypal assumes $US.

I can select $US from the "Pre-Defined" list, and that will send the "correct" currency code of 0 for $CDN to Mals, but of course the catalog will indicate the prices are in $US -- and Mals and Paypal will process in $CDN. And that's just plain wrong!

If you follow the advice on Mal's website to DELETE the currency info from being sent by the NOF Catalog, it will work fine for your default currency settings. But if you don't stumble across that little piece of advice, and you're not operating in $US, you end up with the mis-communications that I sorted through.

The saving grace is that I'm sure the majority operate in $US, and when an error occurs $US becomes the default, so no one even realizes these things are going on.

I suspect these codes were hard-coded into NOF at a time when Mals had the same currency codes pre-defined, but they've since changed the way it gets set up to provide more flexibility.

(I understand that this description may not be entirely clear to anyone not currently in E-Commerce headspace. If that's the case, I can put together a series of screen grabs to illustrate what happens.)

I just thought I should point it out here so when Team Fusion is making updates, they can consider changing the way this is set up.

-RayC

I have found that components do not get updated at the same frequency that the core product does. After all, the components are basic "give aways" and the core product is retailed.

Many of the components have not been updated in a long time and something as dynamic as an interface to a 3rd party service should not even be offered as a part of the Fusion product unless it is done via a direct service. This is just my opinion (which holds no weight with the company).

This is one of the reasons I wrote the manual mals-e cart tutorial. I have been playing with the idea of making it into a full database driven tutorial with an admin section. One of the failings of the manual cart is that each item has the configuration details so when something changes (like the currency codes as you have pointed out) a user that has 100 items in their store must make 100 edits if they need the change on each and every item. Running out of a database the master configurations that do not change such as username, cartID, currency, etc could be stored in a single file and used for each detail record (the items) and if edited the change would be global (for every item). Items would be entered in an admin page which would take Fusion completely out of the store process once the store page was generated and uploaded.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

To fix Rays issue, it would be simpler to change the currencies in the NOF component from USD CDN etc. to Currency 0, Currency 1 to match the Mals setup. This would be the simplest to stop the confusion. The only way NOF could do that based on the way Mals does their setup would be to read in your Mals configuration. Mals should really just have standards for dollars, like USD, CDN etc. and you send that code the way PayPal does it.

This is issue gonna be fixed a long time ago and I also share that post with my friends on YO WhatsApp Apk to keep it save for a long time.