Thread: Can not get my website files back into Fusion 8

Question Can not get my website files back into Fusion 8

I recently had a hard disk failure and lost all my web site files for our local Ham Radio Club site. Although I had a backup image of the drive, the image was a few weeks old and did not contain the current web site version that was completely revised prior to the drive failure. I am able to FTP into the server and download all the files for the website from the server to my PC. The site folder is on my desktop, and I can open it with Internet explorer and all the pages and links are present and look correct. It looks exactly like it appears on the web. My problem is that I can not import the files back into Fusion 8 and keep the page style or whaterver it is correct. What I get is a jumbled mass of text and no images, even though they show up when I open the site locally with IE. It would take me as long to correct each page as it would to rebuild the entire site again. I hope it is something as simple as putting files in a renamed folder or changing the file extention, but I am not a programmer so that is beyond my expertise. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John Crawford
    web site: www.ccarc.hamradioman.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
    I recently had a hard disk failure and lost all my web site files for our local Ham Radio Club site. Although I had a backup image of the drive, the image was a few weeks old and did not contain the current web site version that was completely revised prior to the drive failure. I am able to FTP into the server and download all the files for the website from the server to my PC. The site folder is on my desktop, and I can open it with Internet explorer and all the pages and links are present and look correct. It looks exactly like it appears on the web. My problem is that I can not import the files back into Fusion 8 and keep the page style or whaterver it is correct. What I get is a jumbled mass of text and no images, even though they show up when I open the site locally with IE. It would take me as long to correct each page as it would to rebuild the entire site again. I hope it is something as simple as putting files in a renamed folder or changing the file extention, but I am not a programmer so that is beyond my expertise. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John Crawford
    web site: www.ccarc.hamradioman.com
    Fusion does not recreate its database from html very well. See this old thread for more details http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...ll=1#post41423

It looks like you have 14 pages. It should not take you very long to copy/paste the text from those 14 pages into a new site project.

Once you have it all put back together, export the site as a template. That way if this happens again you can rebuild the entire site with 3 or 4 mouse clicks

See these tutorials for export/import details

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17
    Last edited by gotFusion; 05-11-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Unfortunately John, the only true backup that gives you what you want is if you've exported your site as a template and bring it back in that way.

Importing the base HTML files will give you the issue you have. If you have a backup of the drive, the simplest thing might be to just find the User Sites folder and all your files in there and then update the pages from the point of your last backup based on your live website via copy & paste or whatever. That would be the least work for you.

Best practice as said before though is to Export your site as a template as your backups on a regular basis and then this won't be an issue. Some people even keep the template on the FTP server as offsite backup as well. I export as a template at the end of every working session for the websites I create.