Thread: Forms Handler

Default Forms Handler

Trying to create a “Contact Us” In forms handler & having a bit of trouble only because I am new to all this.
    Hi everyone
    In Forms Handler – General , I have chosen not to write to database.
    The e-mail settings is where I am having problems. I checked the manual but it doesn’t seem to have detail explanations for this area.

(1) The default Server (IP) address is 127.0.0.1 Should I accept this default IP or should I put in the IP address of the web hosting Co?
    (2) E-mail: to@her.domain.com What actually should go there?
    (3) From: from@your.domain.com Again, what actually should go there?
    I was thinking that the E-mail would be my e-mail address and the from: would be visitor’s email address, but then i wouldn't know visitor's e-mail address. Confused

Thanking you in advance for any assistance
    Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by giovannismith View Post
    Trying to create a “Contact Us” In forms handler & having a bit of trouble only because I am new to all this.
    Hi everyone
    In Forms Handler – General , I have chosen not to write to database.
    The e-mail settings is where I am having problems. I checked the manual but it doesn’t seem to have detail explanations for this area.

(1) The default Server (IP) address is 127.0.0.1 Should I accept this default IP or should I put in the IP address of the web hosting Co?
    (2) E-mail: to@her.domain.com What actually should go there?
    (3) From: from@your.domain.com Again, what actually should go there?
    I was thinking that the E-mail would be my e-mail address and the from: would be visitor’s email address, but then i wouldn't know visitor's e-mail address. Confused

Thanking you in advance for any assistance
    Giovanni
    You can go over this tutorial (multi page) to see if it helps: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4024

The IP will have to be given to you by your hosting company (same with SMTP authentication). They may have the mail server on another piece of hardware than your domain is on.

From and to email address should be your email address (add a field in the form for the visitors email address)
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Have a look a Mike's tutorials -- they are very helpful.

The short answers are:
    - Try using the default server IP. This usually works.
    - The E-mail in #2 is the address to send the form data to.
    - The E-mail in #3 is the "from" or "return" address. Usually it is one of your emails. Some email servers / web hosts need the "from" to match the domain owner for spam prevention purposes. Ultimately what you end up with is email to you, from you.

HTH

-RayC

What I usually do is create an email called Contact@ or inquire@ or some such thing so that I know it is from that form. The set that email addy up on your server and you should be good as gold.

Thanks guys.

That tutorial was really very very helpful.
    I will give it a shot and let you know the outcome.
    This is the first forum I've ever been on and it's great!
    Again, many thanks.

Giovanni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    You can go over this tutorial (multi page) to see if it helps: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4024

The IP will have to be given to you by your hosting company (same with SMTP authentication). They may have the mail server on another piece of hardware than your domain is on.

From and to email address should be your email address (add a field in the form for the visitors email address)

Hi Mike, ray & Franklyn,

Followed your instructions and got in working with no trouble at all.

Thanks again

Giovanni

Hi Mike,

Would there be a tutorial on "testimonials" and also most importantly how to setup and make the connection to the database

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giovannismith View Post
    Hi Mike,

Would there be a tutorial on "testimonials" and also most importantly how to setup and make the connection to the database

Thanks
    Eventually.......
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz