Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Net 0bject Fusion is dead? No development acknowledged?

@skykeys

Nice of you to point out to so many alternatives to NetObjects Fusion... Why do I get the impression, that this is exactly what your post is all about? Let me make a suggestion:

Test all of them and then come back and join this community. NetObjects Fusion is good. There are so many aspects of this software that are absolutely outstanding. Now just sit back and be patient, let the guys work. I'm confident they will not disappoint us.

I work with versions 9 through 11. Everything is perfect, there are no crashes, no loss of data, the programms are reliable, even though I'm using Vista.The few bugs don't bother me much, because I find ways to work around them. Now tell me which software doesn't have bugs. Or tell me about software that is so full of rubbish that it has to get updated all the times.

Having said that, I wish I could work comfortably without having to use tables. So I'm also impatiently waiting for v12 to beat everything which may be available or come up on the market...

Quote Originally Posted by skykeys View Post
    In the past month, I've been researching what competitors are on the market, and there are quite a few. I've not tried them yet, but a few of the ones that seem to be getting good reviews and seem to have decent functionality and are not terribly expensive (as stated in the reviews or their respective web sites) are Coffee Cup HTML Editor and Visual Site Designer, Web Easy Professional 8, Xara Web Designer and WebPlus X4. Just curious, has anyone tried these products?
    All HTML authoring software products are only tools. Their effectiveness is based entirely on the user's ability to utilize the features they offer.

Personally I have used Homesite for a little over a decade now and am very happy with how it has performed for me. Unfortunately Adobe (the current owners of the product) decided last year to no longer develop or support the product. This has had no effect on me and my decision to continue using the product even though it is now an official orphan. I will continue using the homesite product for as long as it will run under the current flavor of windows. When it gets to the point that it will no longer install under the current windows environment, that day may be when I stop upgrading my windows software

My suggestion is to find a product that you can work with easily. One that does not require you to spend days weeks and months reading books about how to operate it. One that will do everything you need to do. stick with that product and don't worry about anything other than how much you can accomplish using the product.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 09-23-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

@Barbara0701 - no, that is defiinitely not what my post is all about. Honest. I just don't want to make an investment in a product that may have no future. I'm trying to induce a response from someone who can say with authority that V12 is on the way. (I understand about the potential sales impact of such a disclosure. I used to work for IBM software sales. Still, there are ways to let the market know that things are moving along, and pricing techniques to deal with the issue. The market demands it. Otherwise, you lose out to competitors - which is a real impact of not saying anything about the future of a product, especially since it's been over two years since any version update - and there is a troubled history of the product in this particular case.)

Speaking of my history at IBM, I used NOF back when IBM was reselling it, and I really liked it. That's why I care at all about this topic. But that was a relatively long time ago. Things have changed; the web technology environment has changed. There are plenty of competitors out there (as previously stated) which are moving forward with new functionality and - perhaps, represent a better value in terms of functionality per cost. I"m certainly not the only person who will do extensive research on the net, read reviews and comments about various products, and get a feel for what is hot in the market.

@gotFusion - so, if you use Homesite, do you NOT use NOF? Or do you use both? Your comment confused me, because I thought you were a big NOF user based on your signature. In addition, your comment to use a product that "does not require you to spend days weeks and months reading books about how to operate it.. " directly hits one of the prime concerns about NOF as stated in various reviews I've read.

I've been around a long time, so I know that every product has issues of some kind. For me, the biggest concern is that NOF has a troubled business past and has been mired at V11 for over two years. I need to have some level of confidence that it will be a viable and competitive product for the next couple of years at least. And I'm sure I'm not the only person with that concern.
    Last edited by skykeys; 09-23-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skykeys View Post
    @gotFusion - so, if you use Homesite, do you NOT use NOF? Or do you use both? Your comment confused me, because I thought you were a big NOF user based on your signature. In addition, your comment to use a product that "does not require you to spend days weeks and months reading books about how to operate it.. " directly hits one of the prime concerns about NOF as stated in various reviews I've read.
    I guess you could say that I am a big nof user. I have used Fusion since it was first released and I have a web site with around 500 tutorials on how to use the Fusion product. I have also written tutorials for other products such as dreamweaver (and others).

I use a number of tools. Different tools for different jobs. There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" web design tool. Fusion comes about as close as can be achieved. For specialized jobs like graphic editing, FTP, dynamic coding, and database manipulation there are other tools that are designed just for the one specific job.

I would suggest that you look at every tool. Download the trials. Use only that product for the 30 day trial time. If at the end of 30 days you are unable to use the product, move on to another product and use it for 30 days. You will have a good idea which ones are the easiest to use after using only 1 product every day for 30 days.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

In addition, your comment to use a product that "does not require you to spend days weeks and months reading books about how to operate it.. " directly hits one of the prime concerns about NOF as stated in various reviews I've read.
    Skykeys, I understand your concern. It is often not the price of a software, but the time you spend on it, that represents the investment.

It reminds me of St Exupéry, the little prince: "It's the time you spent on you rose that makes your rose so important"!

I would say you have to analyse your needs and priorities. If you need a quick and easy tool and no personalisation of your homepage, you have many options on the market - even free five minutes tools may do the job. Your homepage will be neat but will possibly look the same as many others.

NOF allows you to express yourself freely. There are nearly no boundaries, you can do just what you want to do. But it will undoubtedly cost time. You'll have to learn your ways around the programme. The things you will learn in the process of doing that will always remain useful to you, regardless of whether there will be new versions or not. But why shouldn't there be new versions and updates? I woulnd't worry so much.....

I picked up NOF 11 again a few months ago and have been doing a lot of web development with NOF. I kept having many, many crashes daily. I was almost ready to give up, when I stopped myself from doing 'preview' or 'publish' from the 'Page Design View', and instead disciplined myself to doing 'publish' only and publishing from the 'Site View'. Once I adopted this discipline NOF became stable. Before that I'd tried everything - running as Admin, periodically changing the .nod to a template, and creating a new site from it... nothing seemed to make NOF stable.

So, maybe that is one of the things people who have had stability issues have been "doing wrong".

I'm very happy with NOF. I'd be happier still if it ran under Linux (windows is like crippleware). I'd also be happier if I could actually add attributes to almost every single part of a page e.g. the <title> and the <link> tags generated by NOF.

Still, when I have to transfer my work into my content management system, there's only a few changes I have to make to the generated code. Otherwise, it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by coolestuk View Post
    I'd also be happier if I could actually add attributes to almost every single part of a page e.g. the <title> and the <link> tags generated by NOF. .
    I create dynamic titles all the time. most of the page titles on gotFusion are pulled from a database. I enter <cfoutput>#pgTitle#</cfoutput> for the title in Fusion and what ever is in the database field for that page is displayed. Each page displays the page title that is stored in the database record along with the page content.

What attributes do you want to add to your links? You can get to any part of the link tag by pressing the HTML button on the link properties palette.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linkAtributes..gif 
Views:	554 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	521

Just bumping this thread, since it's been almost another three months since my last comment, and just about six months ago since my first comment/question on this thread. Still no word or reasonably reliable rumor regarding the date of any next version. That's too bad. I've moved on to another product. I wish NOF luck staying in business. If there is a version 12 in 2011, I will at least check it out and compare it to what I'm using now.

I take it you missed this thread?

http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...ll=1#post49539